• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Standard boltface-long action caliber opinions????

JC Steel

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2008
Washington State
What caliber/cartridge would you go with if you were building a tactical rifle on a standard bolt face (.473) long action.

Requirments:
Good barrel life.
Good selection of high BC bullets
Excellent accuracy is probably number one but I think that falls on other things too
Ability to use quality components.
Ability to use quality rifle parts and pieces

Thanks for the advice guys. I have a couple in mind but wanted to get some advice before I pull the trigger

This topic has probably been talked about before but for some reason my normally excellent search skills have let me down

Re: Standard boltface-long action caliber opinions????

6,5x55...........
or 6,5x55 BJ Ackley improved.

Håkan

I have always thought that doing a .284 Win, .280 Rem AI, or a .280 Rem would be very nice. You are throwing extremely good 7mm bullets at reasonable velocities without using an absurd amount of powder. Barrel life would be fairly decent, and good brass can be had or made for all of them.

Or a plain old 30-06 would be another good choice in my opinion. The 208 A-max and other .30 caliber heavies are hard to argue with, and you can get Lapua brass.

I have a switch barrel in 7/270 (essentially a 280 Rem) and also 6.5-06 with this exact setup.

Both are shooters, the 6.5 is a barrel whore and the 7/270 is very nice comparably.

Anything in the list you've been give would be excellent. 284 and it's variants, anything based on the 30-06 case, the x57mm mauser cases, and the 6.5x55 and it's variants would all be excellent.

the .284 winchester has been working great for me. if i had a long action, standard bolt face action to build on, i would certainly choose a .284 win. i have 2200 rounds through this barrel now and it is shooting as good as it ever has.

at our local long range matches, i would bet that the .284 has won more matches in the last 3 years than any other cartridge.

Hands down .280 and if your willing to fire form .280AI.

6.5-06 Everything on your list except (long) barrel life. Gunsmiths have to eat too....lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hands down .280 and if your willing to fire form .280AI. </div></div>

You dont need to fireform. Nosler has 280 ackley preformed brass!

cmon jake you know your going to build a 284 its just a matter of time. i even have a 100rds of fresh brass for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5-06 Everything on your list except (long) barrel life. Gunsmiths have to eat too....lol </div></div>

LOL... It sure is a fun round to shoot.

Saturday heralded one of the more priceless moments with regard to this round. After watching the trace from 308's wgsp and flounderv2 watched the trace on 1000+yd shots for my 6.5-06 with 140 Bergers @ 3150ish

To paraphase...

"Holy S**T that's flat!"

I loved my 6.5-06.

Basically any case short or long with a .473 bolt face, good brass, that will push a 6.5vld or a 7mm vld at or close to 3000fps will work good for you provided you use a match grade barrel.

Diggs, I am just wanted to create a little conversation. What kind of brass is that???

winchester 100rds unfired, its not going anywere so when you deciede you want a rifle that shoots the 162's faster than the 7mm-08 i am building faster give me a shout.

Re: Standard boltface-long action caliber opinions

30-06 is the way to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: overgunned</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7mm Rem mag. 162 A-max. 'Nuff said....... </div></div>

He wanted a standard bolt face, not magnum. I say 280.

wow,another 6.5x55 guy. but,he's swedish,so what do you expect? i went to it due to shoulder issues. will take anything i am likely to hunt,easy on barrel life,decent & affordable ammo selection,known accuracy history,low recoil,for those that reload a great selection of components,and you will find many sported military guns at a good price that can be great shooters,plus afew really superb high end guns around. i hear european guys shoot (small) moose with them. my dad hunted with a 6.5x54 mannlicher and everything i ever saw him shoot ended up DRT. my situation and all that said,i must say that for an all around or 1 gun rifle battery there has never been nor will there ever be a better choice than a 30/06. again per my dad-all you need is 180gr bullets. multi-thousands of dead elk,deer,bear etc. that load won't kill a coyote any less dead than a 223 either. long range potential-does the name carlos hatchcock ring a bell? there are many rounds/loads better in many ways. nothing even close to better in most or all ways. sort of ranty second post here,so hope i didn't piss anybody off.

.284 or 30-06.

If you are willing to sacrifice barrel life, the 6.5-284.

7x57 mauser
(my answer to everything).
In a modern bolt action, driven to equal pressures of the 7-08 (52,000 cup) you can send some pretty decent bullets at pretty decent speeds.
Especially the 162 Amax and 168 berger VLD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trilogymac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">30-06 or 6.5x55 </div></div>

+1

Lapua reloading (and some loaded ammo) available for both.

Good barrel life due to reasonable velocities

Exceptional BC and accuracy from the 6.5x55 especially

Either can easily be done in a LA

30-06 with 190s or 208 amax. call dave kiff for best reamer.

I think 284 on a long action is calling my name!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think 284 on a long action is calling my name!!!! </div></div>

i think that is a great choice. i know the 175 smk's don't have the bc the 180 vld bergers do but they sure have been working well for the local guys shooting them out of 284s. even with a mild load they are working great and extremely accurate. my reloading methods are crude at best and they are still working great for me. out of the four matches i have shot the 284 in this year, i won three and took second on the other one.

280AI. I was faced with the same delima last year and chose this route. Hoping to bloody it this fall. Scratch that. Going to bloody it this fall!