• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Standing Prone?

Saluki68

Private?
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2013
Eastern South Dakota
So I'm sure others have run across this issue, but I can't seem to find any references to solutions on here. The range I belong to is not yet set up for long distance prone. They do however, have some very nice benches built that are pretty deep in length (but just not quite long enough to lay prone on). I really do not care for seated bench rest shooting, so I have taken to setting up my rifle (on a bipod) in the center of the bench, and shooting from a bench supported, standing position. I'm only 5'9", and have short legs, but am able, using a wide split stance, hips hinged backwards, to rest my torso behind the rifle similar to prone. I'm resting on the bench just below the sternum, and am able to breath fairly well (pulling air into the belly) while in this modified position. My arms are able to still be in the same positions as I would be from the prone, but admittedly, there is more weight supported in my legs, and therefor most of my mass is supported by my lower body. Recoil management has not been a noticeable issue.

Thoughts would be appreciated if you have used this shooting position to some extent, and I'd also like to discuss if this might not be a good option for those with difficulty getting in the prone position for any number of physical issues. Thanks in advance for your time.

I have practiced using the bench table top as I would the ground. My range did not have target berms and this made it difficult to shoot from prone on ground since tall grass precluded view of the target. I just used the bench for prone and sitting events. You do what you've got to do. The only consequence to shooting at such an angle to target is a slight change in zero when shooting on a proper range.

Last edited:
I have practiced using the bench table top as I would the ground. My range did not have target berms and this made it difficult to shoot from prone on ground since tall grass precluded view of the target. I just used the bench for prone and sitting events. You do what you've got to do. The only consequence to shooting at such an angle to target is a slight change in zero when shooting on a proper range.

Have noticed the "slight change to zero" when shooting in a similar position, I and others always shoot high (not much less than a moa) when confronted with this position. Any thoughts on why?

Thank you Sterling... I knew there was a change (because ballistics app asks for the angle) Having the real world simple equation will come in handy I am sure.

Thank you Sterling... I knew there was a change (because ballistics app asks for the angle) Having the real world simple equation will come in handy I am sure.

what the ballistic app is asking is look angle of the shot, the amount of angle to start affecting your actual dope is a lot from a physical stand point...going from prone to on a table top or bench doesnt change the angle enough to matter...your zero isnt changing, YOU'RE changing...if you do everything right your zero from prone, off a table top, off a barricade, off a culvert, off whatever...will be the same

That position can be very useful in the field/competition. The general goal is to get as much support for the rifle and shooter as possible. Assuming the described position as opposed to backing away from the support structure and only supporting the front of the rifle is much more stable. As an example, several shooting stages in the recent Bushnel Brawl allowed a similar position to be achieved using culverts, portholes, etc. Two of the "mousetrap" stage positions allow full almost prone support of the rifle from a standing position with resulting nearly prone equivalent accuracy.

Doc

Reactions: Saluki68
I agree with what your saying... Standing vs prone. To help me make sense I think of shooting from a hill at a small target that is standing at a lower elevation say 600 yards out,. If I use a lrf to gather distance to target I will shoot over the targets head unless I compensate or input for the angle of lower elevation?

I agree with what your saying... Standing vs prone. To help me make sense I think of shooting from a hill at a small target that is standing at a lower elevation say 600 yards out,. If I use a lrf to gather distance to target I will shoot over the targets head unless I compensate or input for the angle of lower elevation?

maybe...some LRFs account for angle, some dont, so that part depends, but in general you are correct...if the angle is large enough (for most calibers it doesnt matter much until 10+ degrees) it will cause you to be high unless the angle is accounted for...put an inclinometer (or just download a leveling app for your phone) on your rifle and then look at how angled it is for 10-20 degrees just to get an idea...its quite a bit more than most people think

Reactions: Mtndog05
I think I have it... Thanks. I was trying to oversimplify to wrap my head around the concept and think I fell right into a whole new issue all together. The OP was just a change in shooting position that resulted in a less stable shot. It was also posted in 2014... But got me thinking. The return of the old hide has me browsing around more. Also a good thing I believe.

Either way thank you for the insight.

Mtndog05

Reactions: Saluki68
I think of this as 'Foxhole Prone", where the shooter is leaning into the fore wall of the trench/foxhole, and employing the available support of the parapet.

Slight POI changes are likely a consequence of the way the different position affects both Cheek Weld and bodily response to recoil.

Greg