Starlink - What a long, strange trip it’s been…

Animal357

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 18, 2020
    Short version; Starlink is finally up and running.

Long version; what a long, strange trip it’s been…

I hired networking company to install my dish on my 12/12 pitch roof, because, well, 12/12.

First trip, he climbed the roof and ran the cell phone app to check for obstructions. We determined 3 trees needed to come down. I took them down and the next week he checked again. Finding no obstructions, he mounted the dish on the roof.

Cost to date: two trips and dish mount $500—yup expensive, but 12/12. Tree removal $300.

Finally got service turned on just over a week ago, and was loosing connection every 2-3 minutes. Checking for obstructions using the actual dish, rather than the app, it showed several small obstructions on the fringes. I was amazed that such limited obstructions would so greatly disrupt service, so often. I was really angry that the phone app didn’t show the obstructions accurately.

I was unwilling to cut any more trees, especially knowing as others grow they would probably become obstructions, so I had to move it off my roof.

Having investigated several options, I found them impossible or far too expensive. The only option left was my pond berm. It’s the only spot on my property that has no obstructions, but it’s 450 feet from the house, far beyond the 100’cable that Starlink says cannot be extended. I needed power at the other side of the lake and a bridge to send the signal back.

I had electric at the house side of the pond for aerators. I ran 380’of 10ga submersible wire to the berm on the other side of the pond. 10ga was used to limit voltage drop over the long distance. After several attempts rowing a johnboat and towing the rope without success, I bought 400 feet of rope and pulled the boat with the rope, while my wife pulled the cable from inside the boat. After lots of sweating and swearing, we got it done. 117 volts at the pond berm, success!

Cost; $1000 for wire, electrical components and rope.

Network company installed today. Took almost 2 hours to remove the dish from the roof and patch the holes, because 12/12. Mounted the dish accross the pond and installed the bridge receiver at the house. Power adapters were mounted in a weatherproof enclosure. Everything went fine until we realized that there was no IP address being delivered. We hooked the bridge to the power block output which worked at first, but we lost the IP. Eventually, we figured out that the modem creates the IP and that we needed to use the ethernet port on the modem instead of the port on the power block. We set up a second bridge receiver at another building using the same bridge transmitter.

Cost; $1100 for bridge and labor

Speeds are typically 40-90 down and 10-14 up with pings 25-80ish. Sometimes lower, a few down speeds as low as 15 and under 1 for up. Not close to what was promised, but 20 times better than what I had, and so far, far more stable and reliable. The bridge does 150 up and down and I was told it would not slow down Starlink since its speeds were lower (we tested it directly)

Total cost $2900. If I had no obstructions cost would have been zero.

Still really angry that the phone app didn’t show the obstructions, but I will eventually get over it.

Having tried all other rural internet options over the last 8 years of living here, Starlink is a godsend, even considering the cost.

Last edited:

Californio

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 27, 2014
    Arizona/California
    I have the newer unit in hand but it only came with 75' cable, 150' proprietary cable on order maybe this month, modem no longer has ethernet port, have that on order and then the long roof mount, have that on order with no delivery date last time I looked. It is a process but it's better than a 4G hotspot.

Not a Sniper

Leonard Smalls
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Sep 10, 2020
    One foot in ol' Dixie!
    www.youtube.com
    My buddy runs this way Northern WI, near UP. Similar numbers as you stated when it started in the area - access to satellites is geo/grid restricted (last I checked) due to limited satellites in orbit (I'd expect this to change once all sats are up and they are not in beta). Fast forward a year - he is now getting 200-350 down and 50-100 up consistently. His latency is < 50ms regularly (which considering distance to space is not bad).

He did not have any of the obstruction issues you have had and it is now his go to network. He did drop signal early on, maybe a couple few minutes a day as satellites did handoffs or whatever, but that is now down to less than 30 secs per day with additional satellites.

I signed up last year in the late Summer for a property I was purchasing (not quite middle o' nowhere, but certainly right next to it!) in TN. Chips didn't flow and service in the area is now estimated at 1st half of this year. Seems I just heard a bunch of his shit fell out of orbit recently, and of course chips are still an issue. Dunno when I see it, but as you said-from my travels-this shit at $100/mo is the best to be had I'd think.

I got folks in Ireland/UK with it as well - reckon I'll check in with them on their experiences now that you bring it up....

Reactions: TurboTrout

anon

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 23, 2013
    Close to the terminator, on the dark side, is where you get to see the strings of Starlink satellites as they orbit. Saw one yesterday.

Animal357

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
  • Aug 18, 2020
    I have the newer unit in hand but it only came with 75' cable, 150' proprietary cable on order maybe this month, modem no longer has ethernet port, have that on order and then the long roof mount, have that on order with no delivery date last time I looked. It is a process but it's better than a 4G hotspot.
    It's great that the new version has a 150' option. Give you a lot more placement options. No such luck on the original. 100' and they say you can not extend it.
    I think its stupid for them to have removed the ethernet port. Converting wifi to ethernet slows down the process.

Last edited:

Handloader

Minuteman
    Jun 11, 2009
    Lewisburg, Ohio
    Mid-Ohio here.........Still waiting! Fuckers have had my money since spring 2021. Got this bullshit message today

"Due to excessive levels of inflation, the price of the Starlink kit is increasing from $499 to $549 for deposit holders, and $599 for all new orders, effective today. In addition, the Starlink monthly service price will increase from $99 to $110. "

I don't even have the service yet and they are raising my price...WTF! I only have 4G cell signal and use my cell phone for internet.

• Haha
    Reactions: Bender

Californio

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 27, 2014
    Arizona/California
    I am still waiting for my roof mount, 150' cable and ethernet connector, was supposed to be delivered this week, web page has it now bumped to into first week of April, so I get 4G speed with the ground mount and obstruction outages, parts ordered in February.

Californio

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 27, 2014
    Arizona/California
    Finally got my 150' cable, ethernet adapter, roof mount, assume the parts went to Ukraine, then had to wait for an new software update that reenabled the router bypass. Running the system with a commercial router, 5 hot spots in the ceiling, commercial switch and two amps for the 18 pairs of speakers in the home with 6 Sonos zones and two Sonos sound bars at the TV's. System works like a charm and beats the only old unreliable crap cable system available, may see fiber before I kick the bucket. Using a two WAN router so when 5G wireless is available I can test this as well with out loosing Starlink. This beats Hughes and Wild Blue and old copper cable. Customer service has not been needed, it just works. In my AO we have one fiber loop that feeds the old cable, when a rodent cuts it, no-one has anything, but I will.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

OVER....
    Minuteman
    Aug 4, 2010
    BF East Texas
    Any updates on this?
    We are going to have to go this way if it works (BFE), We have 2 separate routers on 2 phone lines and are switching back and forth all day.
    Sucks

Short-bus

customguncoatings.com
    Commercial Supporter
    Minuteman
    Apr 13, 2008
    Smithville, MO
    www.customguncoatings.com
    I've been using starline for about a year and a half now. I have it on a pole in the front yard, a little obstruction from the crabapple tree once in a while but doesn't cause me any headaches. Once in a while we'll have an outage, but not very often, and not very long. Before starlink we had 10mbit max, and we rarely got that, it was really about 8 Mbit. We range from 50 down, to 200 down, I don't check often, it runs everything we need and that's all I care about.

Branden

Reactions: OREGUN

Quark

Professional Dodgeball
    Minuteman
    Nov 26, 2012
    Ft Worth, Texas
    PSA..... If you live in an area where hail is not rare, avoid putting the dish on the roof. It'll need replacing. Golf ball sized hail took mine out. While I wasn't happy about the non hail resistant dish, it's still well worth the expense. But I opted to put the dish in the backyard. On the ground. So that I can cover it up when hail is expected

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

OVER....
    Minuteman
    Aug 4, 2010
    BF East Texas
    Another ? I use ayrmesh to shoot wifi to my barn and my wife uses a VOIP phone for her work.
    From what I can understand it can only use a switched either net that will only allow router or either net not both? (non geek)