• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Start Saving Your Nickels and Dimes. Navy M40 Coming up at Morphy's

Nope, not even very rare. They gave away a bunch of these at Camp Perry...I was there. I'd guess 5k.

If it was documented to be, or at least had the characteristics of, a Marine Corps rifle it would probably go for a big chunk of money.

As it is, I don’t find it to be particularly interesting.

The rings aren't correct, and the scope is the second batch made w/o the green anodized.
But, there will be bidders. Hopefully, someone here will track the closing price.

The rings aren't correct, and the scope is the second batch made w/o the green anodized.
But, there will be bidders. Hopefully, someone here will track the closing price.
Green scopes are correct for serial numbers 221,XXX, 224,XXX and 322,XXX. Black matte scopes would be correct for 6,257,XXX as these would be the last of the M-40's made.

"UWS" barrel code is Inspector U, August 1969. Looking the US Government contracts for M40s from 1966-1969, a total of 972 rifles were ordered. I'll surmise that auction M40 rifle was 1 of 30 rifles delivered to the U.S. Navy Training Center, San Diego, CA, contract N00164-69-0721, in 1969.
The Navy purchased 27 M40s between 1966 and 1968. Their final order for 30 M40 rifles was that order destined for San Diego in 1969.

So the Remington archives show the Navy purchased only 57 M40 rifles. The one caveat, and the only mystery order for M40s was the 'Boston Procurement District' order in 1969 for 105 rifles, and the destination of those rifles is not clear. (Boston Procurement office ordered the original 700 USMC M40s in 1966). So, even assuming those 105 M40s ordered in 1969 by the Boston Procurement Office somehow went to the Navy (seems unlikely), that would be still a tiny number overall for that branch (and far less than the number of M40s that the USMC ordered and received)

So, while the 700 M40s ordered by the USMC in 1966 get all the attention due to their active combat use in Vietnam (and in post-Vietnam), the fact is a US Navy M40 is actually far more rare, historically speaking. They only got 57 of them according to the Remington archives, or at max, a total of 162 rifles if they also got the other 1969 order. I would love to be able to own such a rare and apparently quite original 1969 M40, but oh well...

Last edited:
Well, bidding closed yesterday. 8 Bids. No final price posted I can see unless you have to be logged in. Anyone?

Proxibid shows it sold onsite for $24000