• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Start up with R700 SPS-T-AAC Build

john55576

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2011
Fl
Hi all and thanks for reading,
I'm looking at starting into precision shooting by purchasing the following to get me started.

Remington 700 SPS Tac AAC 51t 20" 1/10 308
SWFA SS 10x42
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Burris Xtreme Tacitcal 30mm Rings</span>
EGW Picatinny Rail 1 Piece Scope Mount
Harris Bipod
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Badger Knob Install by GAP or the like.</span>
Badger Ordnance 30mm Rings .823"

With that I'm looking at around 1400 plus tax. As budget permits, I plan on upgrading the stock and scope. But I still have too many questions concerning those. Plus I need money left over to buy ammo.

My local ranges are limited to 200, 300 and 600. So I feel like this might be a suitable rig to get going without breaking the bank. My question... What can I expect with that setup assuming no human error involved? What ammo would preform best in that BBL in North Central Florida?

Re: Start up with R700 SPS-T-AAC Build

sounds like a good place to start and keeping it within your budget, thats if youre budget is 1400.

Although for a lil more you could get badger/NF/seekins base and rings which I would recommend.

seems like a good start. Save the 100 on the bolt for now and try to find a used optic on here with a variable magnification

as for ammo, either FGMM 168 can be had for less than 17 or so a box and will serve you well

Your AAC-SD will get you to those ranges (and beyond) with no trouble with the right ammo and you doing your part. A new stock will definitely help but its not imperative at this point. When you get to that point, look at either the Choate Tactical or the B&C Medalist tactical. Neither will break the bank.

As for ammo, I would suggest you save your pennies and reload. But in the meantime, both FGMM and Black Hills match 168s or 175s will do just fine. I've found the Hornady TAP to be good too. All match rounds will get pricey though, which is why you want to reload. You can hand load your own and get far better accuracy than the best factory match round at 1/3 the cost. It will pay for itself very quickly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">seems like a good start. Save the 100 on the bolt for now and try to find a used optic on here with a variable magnification

as for ammo, either FGMM 168 can be had for less than 17 or so a box and will serve you well </div></div>

+1, bolt conversion is not a necessity, especially if its sucking money from other areas of the budget. Good start though.

Thanks for the quick replies. Sounds like I might need to drop the badger knob and pick up a better set of rings.

Those rings are not actually bad and they are very reasonable.

another option is to say the 100 on the bolt, sell your stock for 50-75 or whatever they go for and find an HS precision take off

What range is that in Florida that you are talking about? I typically go to Tenoroc south of orlando, but it only goes to 100.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeSnifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What range is that in Florida that you are talking about? I typically go to Tenoroc south of orlando, but it only goes to 100. </div></div>

Bradford Sportsman Farm, Graham Fl has the 300 and 600
Olustee National Forest Public range. Located on the South West corner of the Forest has the 200.

I think there is one near Deland Fl might be Palm Coast.

Got my new Rem700 AAC with a AAC 51T FH. I hate the stock already, going to try a second hand B&C light tac until I learn more. Still waiting on the scope. OMG I'm so ready to go shooting. Crap I still need ammo.

I picked up an aac-sd with a b&c a2. Got what I think is a great price. Check out red hawk rifles. They offer those stocks with detachable mag setups too.

There should be some kind of sticky for a "starter" rifle kit. It needs to be a proven combination that most members prefer and know is reliable so this exact same conversation can be avoided. I have seen the Remington 700 Varmint, Tactical, and Police, and the Savage question so many times.

I just bought a AAC-SD with a SS10-42 myself, not as a start up but rather a field rifle. You can bang em up, paint em up or what ever and not feel like you are damaging a 5k rifle!!If you are just getting started, the scope is good in my opinion. A fixed power is easy to range with. If you get a 10x just use the 27.8 or 27.778 x target height in inches / by mil reading and you will start hitting what you aim at with some wind call practice. And hitting stuff helps with morale!!! Its a good rifle and you will do good if you practice. the choate stock is also a good upgrade for budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NewBoltGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeSnifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What range is that in Florida that you are talking about? I typically go to Tenoroc south of orlando, but it only goes to 100. </div></div>

Bradford Sportsman Farm, Graham Fl has the 300 and 600
Olustee National Forest Public range. Located on the South West corner of the Forest has the 200.

I think there is one near Deland Fl might be Palm Coast. </div></div>

Volusia County Gun and Hunt Club in New Smyrna off SR 44 goes out to 500 yards

Flager County Gun Club goes out to 200 yards

No ranges in Palm Coast

I've had my SPS tactical AAC for a few months now. I sold the hogue stock and replaced it with a HS LTR takeoff. I got an EGW 20 moa base but I didn't have enough travel to zero my scope at 100 yards. i was about 8 inches high bottomed out. the scope is a leupold VX-III 4.5-14 custom shop. I went to a Larue base and was able to zero at a 100 with no problems. Im looking into a CDI DBM and a RAD break for future mods. I've had good results with 178 amax's over varget out to 9 hundo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NewBoltGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi all and thanks for reading,
I'm looking at starting into precision shooting by purchasing the following to get me started.

SWFA SS 10x42
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Burris Xtreme Tacitcal 30mm Rings</span>
Harris Bipod
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Badger Knob Install by GAP or the like.</span>

With that I'm looking at around 1400 plus tax. As budget permits, I plan on upgrading the stock and scope. But I still have too many questions concerning those. Plus I need money left over to buy ammo.

My local ranges are limited to 200, 300 and 600. So I feel like this might be a suitable rig to get going without breaking the bank. My question... What can I expect with that setup assuming no human error involved? What ammo would preform best in that BBL in North Central Florida? </div></div>

Good choices, I pretty much have that exact setup:

IMG_2115.jpg

700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD
SS 10x
Burris XTR 30mm
EGW Base
Harris 6-9" Notched/Swivel

For ammo get some Federal Gold Medal 168gr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NewBoltGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi all and thanks for reading,

SWFA SS 10x42
Harris Bipod

My local ranges are limited to 200, 300 and 600. So I feel like this might be a suitable rig to get going without breaking the bank. My question... What can I expect with that setup assuming no human error involved? What ammo would preform best in that BBL in North Central Florida? </div></div>

IMG_2115.jpg

700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD
SS 10x
Burris XTR 30mm
EGW Base

For ammo get some Federal Gold Medal 168gr. </div></div>

How much did your setup cost if you dont mind me asking? Im going to start ordering parts for my build in the next week or two

What I can tell you about ammo is, EVERY rifle is different. Your s might like "X", while your friends identical rifle likes "Y". I have shot alot of different ammo through my 700, and it HATES the light stuff (150 grain) from Hornady...like the SST Superformance..it wont' group worth a shit with it down the barrel.
But, you take say some Hornady 168 BTHP, and it's a tackdriver. Hell, even the cheap stuff, Winchester 150 grain, $13 a box from Wal mart, and it's a tackdriver with it as well.
But, I have tried the SST 150 grain, on different days, and it just won't group.
I have also run alot of different ammo down it, but the above was jsut an example on how you really won't know what ammo will work "the best" until you put some down range with YOUR rifle.

Oh, BTW...nice rig, I like.

168gr FGMM and Southwest ammo's 175's loaded in Lapua brass would be my recommendations for good / great ammo for your 1:10

I started out with an SPS Tactical. The stock actually isn't bad. I've shot SEVERAL .2 and .3" groups with mine using 168 SMKs over 43.5gr of RL15 in Winchester brass.

My advise would be to concentrate on the essentials first. What I mean by that is your optics. Don't get me wrong, the SS 10X is a better than decent scope, and 10X is plenty for shooting at steel out to any distance that you'd care to do it with a .308. If you want to shoot tiny groups, however, you might want more magnification. Lots of guys go with something in the range of and 18X or 22X.

I'd also blow off the badger bolt knob. I just got one of those plastic bolt knobs from Kinetic Research and I like it alot. It also doesn't get dinged up like metal ones do. At around $20, it was well worth it.

Good luck.

+1 for peepaw, my 700 build hates lighter bullets such as 150s but loves the 168 smk. The 155 palma's are decent as are the 175 smk and even 180s werent as bad as the 150s but the 168 seems to be the magic weight for my gun. But at the end of the day, i would just buy a couple boxes of different bullet weights maybe from 150 to 175 grain, and then get a target for each one and shoot 4 groups of 5 shots (more if you can but that works for a 20 rnd box) with each and then swap out the target and do it for the next one and at the end of the day see which one grouped best and stick with that. While its a little costly to spend alot of money on ammo that you're gonna end up not staying with, you'll know what your rifle likes and who doesnt love to shoot?

also, while the rig you have is good looking and certainly very good and will serve you very well while you are just getting into the sport, i would get rid of that stock ASAP. In my experience, a really quality stock can cut group sizes in half and next to quality ammo has the largest effect on the performance of your gun, again thats in my experience and my opinion but you'll be amazed how your rifle shoots after you get it out of that hogue and into something like an Mcmillan, hs precision, or AICS

I just got one these rifles myself, and I have been impressed with it. Mine has shot very well. It has been somewhat picky about powders, but so far I've gotten at least one very good group with 155 grain AMAXs, 165 Nosler Accubonds and 178 grain AMAXs. The only thing I have found it really doesn't like is WW 760.

Still working on load development, but I have high hopes for finding a couple of really outstanding loads. I've also run a box of 168 grain Federal Gold Medal Match through it and those shot very well too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truth223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NewBoltGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi all and thanks for reading,

SWFA SS 10x42
Harris Bipod

IMG_2115.jpg

700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD
SS 10x
Burris XTR 30mm
EGW Base

For ammo get some Federal Gold Medal 168gr. </div></div>

How much did your setup cost if you dont mind me asking? Im going to start ordering parts for my build in the next week or two</div></div>

Everything in the photo came to $1120

Most important----Get behind the rig and get some serious trigger time, all the "newest&hotest" doo-dads will not do much good until you've mastered your rifle. You have a great start right now. Only thing I would add is to get into reloading as soon as finances allow it.