• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Starter .30 cal can?

DeathExpress

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2007
Har Co, Maryland
I have no idea what to get. Everyone has a different story about QD cans vs. thread on. I'm going to use this on everything bolt and semi auto .223 to .308 and eventually .30 cal magnums when I finally get one.

In order of priority.

-I'd like to keep the price around 1k or less
-Rock solid mounting if QD or TOMB...precision is a must, minimal POI, even if it means more weight
-Hearing safe with .308
-Titanium would be nice, but do the threads wear out on these cans...??
-Length is really no issue

Currently considering SAS, YHM, Thunder Beast, and AAC.

Thanks!

PS the search did me no good.....

Re: Starter .30 cal can?

Why have a starter can....an NFA purchase is a sizeable commitment and they aren't easy to get rid of. I would strongly suggest you spend the money right on your first can and enjoy it for years to come. Out of your list I would look at the Thunder Beast and AAC SDN-6

I would go with a Thunder Beast Arms or the SAS.
Like Deadly said ATF items are not east to get so get what you want in the first place.

Cheers,
DM

TBAC 30P-1 is the only can, Thread wear is a non issue, Precision Can, TBAC is the top. Brownell's has a adapter that you can go from 5/8x24 to 1/2x28 to run on AR's.
SF 762 RC Socom is also a very good can, and will give you what you want. $1450 in stock, plus $140 for MB.

I'm in the same boat. I'm leaning towards the AAC cyclone because of price. However the thunderbeast would be my first choice. At first I was deciding on only one suppressor. The thread adapter would work but would be a pain in the butt swapping from the bolt gun to the AR. So I'm decided to go with a gemtech halo for the AR. So I figure $750 each plus 2 tax stamps . $1900

Id just get a mountain dew 2 litre,or a pillow, maybe a pvc pipe with a pool noodle insert

No sense in buying a "Starter" can, buy what you want the first time. NFA is not a area where you want to skimp on costs.

Out of the ones you mentioned, TBAC, SAS and YHM offer good QD mounts. I went with a thread on 30P-1, might get a 30BA down the road..

Here's one data point…

I'm running a Ti SAS Arbiter on my AI AW .308 with the TOMB mount that was installed by Mile High Shooting. The rifle groups as well with the can as without. POI shift is a repeatable 0.1 mil left and 0.2 mil up. It's quite comfortable to shoot without hearing protection.

The selling point for me on the Arbiter was that Mile High installed it when I bought the rifle and included the proof target with the rifle (the can took another nine months to get). I liked the idea of not ordering the rifle from one dealer, the can from another, and hoping that they'd play well together once the NFA paperwork cleared.

Not sure if I'd go with TOMB vs. direct thread if I did it again, but I've been very happy with the Arbiter.

—Andreas

I have a starter 30 cal can (YHM Phantom). Had it been the Ti model it might well be appreciated more but right now it is shot on one gun only and collects dust. Research well....buy the best you can the first time. Nothing on a .308 will be hearing safe. If you are dead set on a starter can I will split the transfer fee and make you a sweet deal on a YHM Phantom and a couple QD mounts.

ggmanning I have to think about it....PM what your deal is and maybe I wont be able to resist.

Right now I'm considering TBAC 30P-1 and 30BA, SAS arbiter TOMB and DC, and the AAC cyclone. Any thoughts???

Assuming the cyclone is 300WM safe, I may go with that. This can will mostly be used on bolt guns once I get a 5.56 can so precision is a must. I could deal with POI shift if it was repeatable with every removal and reattachment, it doesn't seem like thats how it always works with QD cans...

I vote for the TBAC 30BA. I have a 308, 223, and 300BLK upper. I can buy the brakes and run the can on all 3 without issue. I went that route simply for the versatility of a first NFA purchase. If I choose to by another can, I can still shoot all my current firearms suppressed until the next can is approved.

Plus, have you ever seen how fast Ray or Zak respond to questions about TBAC products on this forum? That level of commitment and service really sealed the deal for me.

Good luck with your impending purchase!

Hi!
wink.gif

-z

Starter can is the stupidest thing I hear from newbs.
The second stupidest thing I hear is a some one who recores cans recommend a starter can. Same guy that in another thread recommended a mite as a starter can. Nice way to set up future business.

How about spending a little more money now and buying a quality can with superior customer service and skipping all the added bullshit of spending a lot more money and time fixing something that is bad to start with.

We have very good products to pick from now. Do some research and seek out dealer and others that own and shoot some. This is a lifetime investment not this months girlfriend.

That being said you can't go wrong with a Thunderbeast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi!
wink.gif

-z
</div></div>

SEE!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo1312</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I vote for the TBAC 30BA. I have a 308, 223, and 300BLK upper. I can buy the brakes and run the can on all 3 without issue. I went that route simply for the versatility of a first NFA purchase. If I choose to by another can, I can still shoot all my current firearms suppressed until the next can is approved.

Plus, have you ever seen how fast Ray or Zak respond to questions about TBAC products on this forum? That level of commitment and service really sealed the deal for me.

Good luck with your impending purchase! </div></div>

That actually sounds like a good idea. Any body knows how the 30ba shoots from a 223 platform?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why have a starter can....an NFA purchase is a sizeable commitment and they aren't easy to get rid of. I would strongly suggest you spend the money right on your first can and enjoy it for years to come. </div></div>

This, no such thing as a "starter" can. You spend $200 for a stamp and wait 6-8 months for the ATF to approve it. It's not like you can go down to the gun store and upgrade the same day when you want, you do the process over again.

IMO there's no choice for a 308 can besides the Thunderbeast with SAS being a close second. I have one AAC QD can and you couldn't give me another. Mine is a 18T but the 51T has problems aswell, the teeth are so fine they get buggered up easily and then the latch doesn't lock up. If you do want a QD can the SAS and TB designs are among the best.

I like the QD Yankee Hill Ti suppressed. I got one and they work great. I like that they can be switched between guns with the QD mount and can be used on several different calibers.

I actually do get what the OP is asking, somewhat. I'm looking for my next can and I am looking for a sort of "starter" can as well. Though in my case beater can would be a better word. I have come to learn that TBAC is top notch when it comes to precision rifle cans, but the OP (in my interpretation) isn't looking for this. For my future precision can I'm undoubtedly going TBAC, but for a blaster for bolts and ARs, .223 and .308 alike, I am leaning towards the YHM QD. Reason being the can will be split between my brother and I, and we intend to run it most on semi-auto blasters (ARs, FAL, AKs maybe). It seems this is what the OP wants: a can that won't break the bank because it it's primary use isn't going to be on a precision rifle but more as a fun toy to throw on a couple ARs and have a good time. A $600 YHM will do just fine in this respect, and if it doesn't satisfy the precision needs then he can get a dedicated precision can.

I went with a YHM SST Phantom .30cal a couple years back. Only regret is weight. If I had a chance to redo it I would get the Ti or something else lighter.