• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Starter lathe or mill on Amazon?

iotarho

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2011
After a protracted order snafu, I now have around $1300 in credit on Amazon. Been browsing some of the entry level lathes and mills but am wondering if it's a bad idea to go through Amazon versus dealing with a vendor directly? Or someplace local where shipping won't be a huge headache?

Any experience here?

Re: Starter lathe or mill on Amazon?

Never bought big equipment thru Amazon, but everything else has need a breeze through Amazon.

We sell our stuff on Amazon as well. There is no difference in customer service as we still handle it all. They are just a conduit for gaining more customers and business.

Of course, I can only speak for Grizzly.

I'm saving up to get the Grizzly G0619 mill. I've been told its a great machine for a hobby gunsmith.

I bought one of PapaG's lathes from him here. MAybe he ought to consider making a group buy for some guys who want a package type deal?

Say the big gunsmith lathe, add DRO?

I'd also be very interested in the group buy!

And thanks for the replies... definitely good to know there are some vendors on Amazon with good reps on SH!

Whatever you get make sure you can get parts fairly easy in the future. I have 2 newer lathes, one a grizzly and another I will leave unnamed. Grizzly parts are easy to get and customer service is great. The other lathe I have is a pain in the @ss to get stuff for.

Just my .02 cents
Kc

What would be considered a good starter lathe? I have never used a metal lathe but am getting increasingly interested in them. What options are desirable, and what are requirements?

I've heard the Grizzly G9972 is a good place to start for a hobbyist. Never used one and I know there are people that are just plain anti-grizzly, but sometimes I wonder if it's not just the old Ford vs. Chevy argument. Like Ugsly says Grizzly has really good customer service and parts/repair availability, both of which are important for guys that are doing this as a hobby.

A good starter lathe? How much is your budget? Tooling adds up very fast. You need good indicators and measuring tools also.

I spent $3,300 on a new hobbyist lathe then turned around and spent about that on tooling, just to get setup to do my own rifle work. Tooling will always be an ongoing expense when working. After 2-3 years you will look around your shop and wonder how you got all the crap you have.

Kc

I was in this same quandry back a few years ago. I was looking into a PM or Grizzly too, but then I had a poke into the used market. I wound up getting a nice 16 inch Southbend and a 9x42 Bridgeport...and a bunch of tooling for a super low price. Dial machines have lost their appeal to the bigger shops, and they're fire-sale-ing the things.

I don't mean to bash Grizzly, I have a bunch of their tooling and find it perfectly adequate. Just have a look around in your local area and see if you find some manufacturing co divesting of their "old" machines.

I am just playing with the idea so I do not really have a budget set, I guess thats what I am trying to figure out. I was thinking of looking into the used market, but I have no idea what specifications are desirable or needed for BBL work. This is going to be a huge learning process, and I dont want the first lesson to be in my wallet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sic65stang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am just playing with the idea so I do not really have a budget set, </div></div>

LOL, then what ever number you have in your budget, triple it, and you may come in close. Seriously, if money is any issue at all, this may not be a business you want to get into. It's very easy to go to CW Rod, or MSC, and spend a couple grand, and not need help carrying it out the door.

What you think you have budgeted for machines, that much again for tooling. You'll need that same amount you budgeted for machines, for things you didn't think about.

How long of a machine is required to do barrel work? I would think that a relatively small machine could thread a BBL. I was looking at some used ones and they seem reasonable, I just dont want to get into something that I HAVE to upgrade from later because it wont do something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sic65stang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am just playing with the idea so I do not really have a budget set, I guess thats what I am trying to figure out. I was thinking of looking into the used market, but I have no idea what specifications are desirable or needed for BBL work. This is going to be a huge learning process, and I dont want the first lesson to be in my wallet. </div></div>

If you're looking into the used market, then the South Bend Heavy 10 is a great way to go. There are a lot of pros that use this lathe to build extremely accurate rifles. I personally have one, and wouldn't trade it for any other. The only issue you face will be finding one in good shape.

For a mill I also have a Grizzly G0619 and it seems to work pretty well. Once you consider a vice the drill chuck takes up a fair amount of room but I use collets many times and you gain a few inches with those. With that said I wouldn't go any smaller than the G0619 for a mill and the fact the column is dovetailed is a big plus in my eyes. I like that I can keep it in my 2 car garage with two cars in there too. While a full size machine would be great, right now it just wasn't an option room wise.

If you do buy a mill just know that tooling will add up quick and it probably wont be much less if at all than the mill itself. The good thing is you can add SOME of that over time.

For a lathe i have my eye on one of their gunsmiths series of lathes but cant find a place ti put it. I thought about one of the mini lathes but I know I will be disappointed if I cant do any barrel work.

I looked into the smithy type machines and everyone says it just doesn't do anything great so I decided to bypass those. I suppose it has the jack of all trades syndrome.

I purchased a Jet 1340 a couple of months ago at a machinery sale hoping to learn how to do barrel work, it was built in the 90's and came with a 4 and 3 jaw. After cleaning it up it seems to be in good shape. It has a large enough head to chuck up a barrel. Anybody with any experience on lathes have an opinion on this lathe? I was hoping to learn on this one before getting a better more accurate lathe in the future. I'm just doing work for myself not for hire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I purchased a Jet 1340 a couple of months ago at a machinery sale hoping to learn how to do barrel work, it was built in the 90's and came with a 4 and 3 jaw. After cleaning it up it seems to be in good shape. It has a large enough head to chuck up a barrel. Anybody with any experience on lathes have an opinion on this lathe? I was hoping to learn on this one before getting a better more accurate lathe in the future. I'm just doing work for myself not for hire. </div></div>

I've owned one for 22 years. The ones made in Taiwan with the hardened ways aren't too bad. Can't vouch for the Chinese mainland versions. There isn't too much mass, I think it only weighs 900lbs, so getting it setup well is critical. It only has a couple of HP so it's not going to be hogging .100" cuts from 304 but if you work within its limitations it will do the job as long you aren't expecting to be holding tolerances in the tenths. It was my first lathe and I probably chambered my first 30 rifles with it.

This is one of the earlier Taiwan versions. 1996 model year. I don't find much slop or backlash on any screws. From looking at it it was a maintenance shop machine not a production machine and it just needed cleaning up, I don't think anybody had ever threaded with it. I'll try it and ant least use it to learn with, thanks for the input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is one of the earlier Taiwan versions. 1996 model year. I don't find much slop or backlash on any screws. From looking at it it was a maintenance shop machine not a production machine and it just needed cleaning up, I don't think anybody had ever threaded with it. I'll try it and ant least use it to learn with, thanks for the input. </div></div>

Make sure to check your tailstock quill travel. Mine sucks. It's out .0007x, and a full .002y in 3 inches of travel. The spindle runout is pretty good though for a lathe in this price range. My spindle runout is .0002".

Oh yeah... check your spindle bearing preload. Mine was so loose when it was new that the bearings would barely get over room temp after a warmup. I keep mine loaded to where they will reach about 100f after 20 minutes at full speed.

I'm the same boat as you. Wanting a lathe. As soon as the mill is paid off(including the cnc kit) then grizzly is going to get a call for one of their g4003. My only real complaint I have about the mill(grizzly 0704) is that it's not heavy enough and stuff that came with it, drill chuck and tool kit should just be thrown in the trash can. I've heard good things about their gunsmith lathe.