• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Starter Weapon System

Mojomaster

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2014
Savannah
I would like to get into long range shooting, I shot a lot for work but would like help to find a weapon system to start shooting between 500 and 1000 yards. I would like to spend around $1300 but have a budget of $2500. I looking to do this for fun on my free time at a range. Looking maybe at .308 or .223

I just saw a Lawton 6.5 creedmoor come up for sale in a McMillan stock I think. Threaded barrel. Cost is $2500. Then, you could save up for a Vortex PST for about $800 or a Sightron scope. I know its a bit more than your budget, but I think you'd be much happier in the long run.

If you want the longer distance you mentioned (800,900,1000) then you should go with .308 over .223. I haven't heard of a 1000 yard .223. 600 yards may be about the best you can do with a .223, though I'm not the expert. But there are many different calibers available that can do what you're interested in. 7mm08, .260 rem, .243 to name a few. As far as "platforms" go, you are going to have to go with a factory rifle based on the budget you mentioned. Remington and Savage are probably the most popular in this category. So they're going to have the most options/upgrades available. There are a myriad of different rifles these companies offer that would fit within your budget. You're going to have to choose which one you like best. Just make sure it either comes with a decent quality stock or plan to upgrade within your budget. Scopes are a whole different can of worms. There are so many decent options and everyone has their opinion. The one that seems to be recommended the most around here for a small budget is this SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope Some decent scope rings and base and you're off to the races.

The budget is with a scope

In that case I'd do a Savage LRP and vortex PST with rings in creed more or 260.
That's one option.
I built up a savage 11 with aftermarket stock, barrel and a few other goodies and a vortex scope for a bit less than that, I'm laying in the dirt as I type this sippin a cold O,douls letting the barrel cool down shootin at steel at just under 1100 yds and having a good time of it.

There are hundreds of ways to do this. I went 700 Varmint, Mcrees, Vortex Viper HS. Bought everything but the rifle used on the hide. I think I'm into it about $1700. If I had some extra money I'd buy a Bushnell 3.5-21 DMR and ditch the Vortex or for slightly more a Viper HD 5-20.

It's a 308 and the first thing you need to ask yourself is what caliber you want. I wanted 6.5 Creedmoor but I didn't like the Savage actions as much as Remington so I compromised.

Bottom line. You need to pick which caliber you want. Which action is available in that caliber, which stock you want, which scope you want. If I had your budget I'd allow at least $1000 for a scope.

Tikka CTR's are starting to trickle in the country; that'll fit your bill nicely, and leave a little coin for some decent glass... Might wanna give AJ a shout over at http://www.Eurooptic.com

Last edited:
Easy, Savage Varmint or Tactical in 308 for $600-$700 and a used SWFA 5x20 HD from the classifieds. With rings and bipod I think you can be under $2000, way under if you find the rifle on sale.

Tikka sporter w left hand bolt. Get a Bushnell tactical elite. Get a American defense mount. Total under $2500.