• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Starter which ar10

bentbolt308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2011
Eastern iowa
i sold off my large frame ar few years back because I didn't get to shoot them. Now looking for another. I'm not wanting a custom right now what's out there I. $1000-$1500 range. I'm looking for .308 as I have bunch of ammo sitting around. I want a good foundation so I can upgrade things down the road. I prefer longer barrels 18+ as I only shoot off a bench with ar.

S&W M&P10 is pretty good and in the price range. Maybe DPMS, Sig 716, M1A (not an AR type though), Rock Island Armory, Stag Arms, Armalite, Ruger SR762 and I'm sure there are others. Check Gunbroker for ideas. Not all AR-10 are compatible with other brands, and most are proprietary. DPMS pattern will probably give you more opportunity to upgrade parts later

Scott

I bought a M&P10 and am very happy. I bought it at the $1,350ish mark. I was also looking at the Armalite defender 10? I was thinking about rebarreling right away with a Christensen arms carbon 20" 6.5creed, which I might do in the future?

With the M&P10 barrel extension and bolt are proprietary to S&W, I do not think anybody is making them, and S&W will not sell you one.

Thanks for heads up. What is the quality of the live free lf308 &
Lf6.5 ar that are flooded on gunbroker.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I would go with the DPMS LR series. Much better aftermarket support for the AR-10 DPMS style components and they tend to be the most accurate out of the box AR-10 from what I have seen in my dealings with customers wanting an AR10 factory rifle.

I was able to review my data I have collected from previous customers rifles(I am the shooter in all of these) and from my own personal collection. I am only including AR10's in 308 that are in a factory configuration. I generally shoot 2 5 shot groups for function testing when possible and average the groups. These were all shot with a NXS optic and factory federal GMM 175. Again these were all mostly stock rifles. No new barrels or triggers were installed on any of these ones before the groups were fired take it for what its worth.

Attachments

• photo53976.png
    photo53976.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 69
I have a Savage MSR 10 longe range on order in 6.5. All the features for the typical great Savage Value. The bolt and upper and lower is proprietary but savage aftermarket is usually pretty good. (Hoping this is too)

I was able to review my data I have collected from previous customers rifles(I am the shooter in all of these) and from my own personal collection. I am only including AR10's in 308 that are in a factory configuration. I generally shoot 2 5 shot groups for function testing when possible and average the groups. These were all shot with a NXS optic and factory federal GMM 175. Again these were all mostly stock rifles. No new barrels or triggers were installed on any of these ones before the groups were fired take it for what its worth.

Nice shooting!!! It's nice to see The M&P 10 hanging right in there with other brands. When Nutnfancy tested his with Hornady 168's he had some small groups. I'll be testing mine with both 168 Hornady Zmax and GMM. I'm going down the 185 Juggernaut rabbit hole so to speak here soon? We'll see what happens. I'll report back my results soon.

I have seen over on armslist a few pof and maten lately in the 13-1500 range. I wouldn't be scared to buy a used gun. I know I just need watch for the scammers. And the mega maten is armalite pattern

PSA has been having sales (similar to Harbor Freight) since about January 20 . . .

Complete free-floated uppers, either a stainless or black (varies day to day) 18" barrel, $500. Just wait for the day when your color is on sale.

Lowers from $240.

I have an M&P-10, but I had to add the floated forend at $150 :-\ .

No mention of a mil scope? Lame!

For the K-1, I run just a T1 if its to be used like a carbine, otherwise a Leupold 6-18 with a T1 offset so I can go both ways with it.

The only tradeoff is the ammo. Was recently talking about this, and you'd want mags marked for your 118LR rounds, yet use something like the SOST barrier blind rounds or anything lighter weight (130grains) for your carbine rounds to help on recoil.

check out LiveFreeArmory.com they might have what your looking for

Nice shooting!!! It's nice to see The M&P 10 hanging right in there with other brands. When Nutnfancy tested his with Hornady 168's he had some small groups. I'll be testing mine with both 168 Hornady Zmax and GMM. I'm going down the 185 Juggernaut rabbit hole so to speak here soon? We'll see what happens. I'll report back my results soon.

With 168gr A-Max, my factory M&P10 stays 0.5"-1.15" at 100yds with me shooting.