• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Starting Loads

earthquake

Area Man
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    OK so I have a bit of a problem. I have a bunch of powder and a bunch of brass and bullets. Varget x7 lbs., 175 and 168 SMK's and LC brass.

I don't reload, I'm in CO. My dad does reload, he's in OH. We'd planned on me spending time in OH this summer and developing loads for my .308 with a 20" 1:12 barrel. That didn't happen. He's visiting me here next month and he has all my pow/bullets/brass.

I need a starting load or anything really for him to put together for me so we can shoot next month! Any ideas?

Varget:
    175 SMK's
    168 SMK's
    LC match brass

Rem 700 .308
    McM A4 stock (not that it matters here)
    20" 1:12 barrel #5 contour (originally a 700 PSS)

Thanks much!

Re: Starting Loads

He should have reloading manuals. Does he have an OAL gauge? Either way,

43.5-44 grains of varget
    175 SMK
    cci br2 primers
    lapua brass

works for me.

Josh

Yes, he has manuals and an OAL gauge. He loaded some stuff for me a long time ago, LC brass, Win 748 pow, 168 SMK's and it worked o.k. He loaded it to a 2.80 OAL. I think that's the safe place to start until I get to develop in more detail.

The stock may matter. How long can you load your cartrige? Find a length thats the longest without being to the point the bullets not in far enough. Then chamber the dummy round and see if it hits the lands. If not then load 42.5, 43.0, 43.5 and a 44grs test groups. Look hard at the 43.5 before you shoot the 44. lol

So, he's going to load me 50 rounds each of 42.5gr, 43.0gr, 43.5gr, 44gr. This is to see what my rifle likes, as well as provide us enough ammo to shoot while he's here.

I'm wondering if that's too many rounds of each charge? If the rifle hates for instance 43.5gr, then we'll be out 50 - 100 rounds!

Well as I see it your out no matter what. IF he loads only five per, your done shooting pretty much as fast as you started. He can always pull the bullets from the ones you can't shoot. IMHO