• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Starting my toolbox, need mics and calipers

Swift

Chief Bagel Technician
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I'm a few weeks into my precision machining course and so far it's awesome. I'm at a point where I feel comfortable investing in some tools of my own but I don't have a good place to source em and I'm not hip to the preferred brands.

We spend a lot of time with mics and calipers so I figure that's a good place to start. I only wanna do this once so I wanna get it right.

Do you guys have any advice for a guy building his toolbox from square one?

Re: Starting my toolbox, need mics and calipers

You will save money on kits instead of one piece at a time. Also wait until stuff goes on sale.

Check the pawn shops and watch ebay.

I have found my best deals on Craigs list.

Have seen a few Starrett, Brown & Sharpe and Mitutoyo precision hand tools show up in the claasifieds here. Like anything else, you have to know it's worth and pricing to see if it's a fair one.

Sign up for ENCO's email and watch their monthly Hot Deals newsletter. They'll send 10%, 15%, and every few months a 20% off which also applies to their Hot Deals which are already discounted. MSC is their parent company so they are legit. I think I've gotten 90% of my Mitutoyo stuff that way and have saved a ton of cash.

Most of my stuff came from MSC. My prefered brand is Brown & Sharpe. I do have a few pieces of Starrett, Mitutoyo, and SPI thrown in there as well.

Excellent info, just what I was looking for. Subbed to ENCO and bookmarked MSC.

I have Mitutoyo micrometer (Mitutoyo 293-335 ~ $220) and calipers (Mitutoyo 500-196-20 ~ $120). Both have been reliable, accurate and very easy to use. No issues at all and have checked many times against standard references and they are still spot on to well below manufacturer tolerances. You can buy them in many places. They were a bit more than some, but quality measuring tools should last a long time and you can never make anything more precisely than your measuring tool allows - so they are worth saving up a little extra lunch money IMO. Here is some hide info on the calibers (didn't find anything on hide for the mic):

The NEW Mitutoyo is in!

Also - can you tell me what stock that is on the sweet tac rifle in your signature?

Buy a good digital vernier from MSC or similar. Buy it new. Mitotoyu is a good one. Look for one that will do at least 5 tenths. (.0005"). Some will do 1 tenth, but it's hard to get a vernier jaws accurate enough for that. The slightest pressure will cause it to dance.

Then, buy a set of "standards" from MSC. These are 1", 2", 3" etc. standard bars bars to check micrometers and calibrate your instruments.

Then put them case of standards in your pocket and go to flea markets, antique car swap meets, pawn shops, antique shops, etc. And verify that the micrometers you are looking at buying (often very cheap) are still accurate. If they have been used as a wrench and are sprung, they are paperweights. But if they will dial in on your standards, go for it.

Micrometers can be bought very cheap if you have a standard to check it with...

Also, look for a granite flat block with a post and dial indicator on it. Few measuring instruments are better than a flat block with an indicator when it comes to checking straightness. Indicators can be picked up super cheap, but make sure they have not been battered. Bonus of the flat block is that it can be used for flat-plating (with fine paper) bases, etc. and ensuring they are dead flat.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Take your time and Ebay your items your time you can get very good deals. Make sure to get the mics with the tenths scale on at least your 0-1" and 1-2" mics. I prefer Starrett but Brown & sharpe and Mitutoyo are also good. I would buy Mitutoyo calipers. If your are buying dail indicators for the .0001s grad indicator Brown & Sharpe then Starett for 2nd choice .0005 Interapid or your choice of a name brand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moadrifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have Mitutoyo micrometer (Mitutoyo 293-335 ~ $220) and calipers (Mitutoyo 500-196-20 ~ $120). Both have been reliable, accurate and very easy to use. No issues at all and have checked many times against standard references and they are still spot on to well below manufacturer tolerances. You can buy them in many places. They were a bit more than some, but quality measuring tools should last a long time and you can never make anything more precisely than your measuring tool allows - so they are worth saving up a little extra lunch money IMO. Here is some hide info on the calibers (didn't find anything on hide for the mic):

The NEW Mitutoyo is in!

Also - can you tell me what stock that is on the sweet tac rifle in your signature?
</div></div>

It's a Manners T5A wrapped in duct tape. Tom is a vendor here on the hide and his products and service are top notch.

This is great info, fellas. I appreciate it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moadrifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

It's a Manners T5A wrapped in duct tape. Tom is a vendor here on the hide and his products and service are top notch.

This is great info, fellas. I appreciate it. </div></div>

Nice - thanks.

Don't be afraid of used micrometers. I've still got the first 0-1" I bought at a flea market in 1975 for $6. Still gets used daily and has made hundreds of thousands of measurements.

RonA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RonA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't be afraid of used micrometers. I've still got the first 0-1" I bought at a flea market in 1975 for $6. Still gets used daily and has made hundreds of thousands of measurements.

RonA </div></div>

I'll give you $8 for it to cover inflation!

I got a set of Mitutoyo's in the early 90's. They are from the 60's or 70's? Pretty old, but they work like new! I have a cheaper, much newer set that I never use. The lack of quality is obvious in the new ones, and they actually go out of calibration easier and more often than the Mitutoyo's, which don't unless they get used a lot when dirty or dropped.

So used ones are good if you know what you are looking at. You also get what you pay for, so Mitutoyo and Starrett and others, they are all expensive for a reason.

Starrett. Made in Athol, Mass.

Sat down with many of the guys that make them by hand. Went to their houses, had beers and ribs with them.

Good people. Good Americans.

Buy Starrett.

I like Starrett A LOT, and they have great CS. I'm more on the woodworking side of things, though. Not much experience with their mics. I'd imagine they are just as good as the calipers and squares, though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical .22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like Starrett A LOT, and they have great CS. I'm more on the woodworking side of things, though. Not much experience with their mics. I'd imagine they are just as good as the calipers and squares, though. </div></div>

Now that you mention it, can we talk customer service for a minute? I've had some bad experiences in the past so CS holds a lot of water in my book. Any good or bad experiences with Mitutoyo, Brown & Sharpe, etc?

Most of my stuff is Mitutoyo, with a couple of Brown & Sharpe DTIs. Can't speak to the customer service of either one, since the stuff has been very robust.

Mitutoyo is my main brand of precision measuring tools, have some Starret stuff, and some SPI as well...along with all the engine specific Sunnen instruments. My only complaint with Mitutoyo so far is a digital depth mic of mine that had the display go out - paid $175 for them to repair it ($500 tool), and within six months it was dead again and they said "sorry, your 90 days is up." Load of crap.

Check your local pawn shops man. I got most all of my stuff in one of my local pawn shops as a set. A local machinist retired and pawned his tools. I got most everything you could ever need, measuring wise, in good Kennedy rolling boxes for $400! 6, 8, & 12" Mitutoyo dial calipers. 0-6" Starrett OD mics. 5 different 1" dial indicators with stands, 2 were harbor freight though. 2 Dial Test Indicators, both Browne & Sharpe. And a whole lot more. There are deals out there to be had if your diligent. Oh and all the tools had current calibration certificates still on them.

Im using starretts and have never had any problems with them, I bought my digital dial calipers new I have a 1-6 and 1-8, my mics I bought used off ebay cheap I bought a set of 3 0"-1", 2"-3", 3"-4" I checked them with standards when I got them and they were dead on, I do have a set of mics with dials on them in metric and standard in 0"-1" I bought those from snap on I forget what brand they are those just sit in the case's in my tool box ever since I bought the starret kit.

I just got the enco catalog in the mail. "Catalog", btw, is misleading...this damn thing is an encyclopedia! Just as thick as the Midway master catalog or the Dennis Kirks. I'm gonna have to start a high fiber diet to read through this bad boy.

I also found out today that MSC will honor the 20% discount my school offers on tools.