• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Starting spotting scope

Maxim0

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2018
Have been gradually stretching the legs of my .308 as i am beginning to learn proper shooting techniques and would like to get a spotting scope for two main reasons. One to get some feedback on shot placement (although i have a high enough powered scope to see bolt holes at 600) and second is to get whoever tags along into the action some. Will a simple cheap amazon bird watching scope be sufficient for my desires or should i expect to spend $400-700 for a decent one? Would really like one I can attach phone to so i can view it while solo without moving positions.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

Welcome to the 'hide. If you have a few minutes to discuss this please feel free to give me a call, 516-217-1000, and we can go over some options.
There's good quality for what you want from Hawke, Athlon, some demos from Kowa aren't too expensive or Konus.
Have a great day
Doug

Thank you Doug, I'll give you a call later today. Just to warn you though I will not be purchasing today. Gathering information first and will probably purchase within the weeks end.

One of the requirements I would have would be a mil style reticle, are there any of those to be had for less than $1000 ?

One of the requirements I would have would be a mil style reticle, are there any of those to be had for less than $1000 ?

The Bushnell Legend T is possibly the best option on the market under $1k if you want a reticle - and it's FFP to boot. 15-45x magnification, FFP MIL reticle, and ED Prime glass. I've used mine at 1700+ spotting for 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 SAUM without issues, and PhoneSkope makes an adapter for it. I film video through mine on a regular basis.

Thanks for the information. I was looking at the Sightmark latitude 20 60x80 xd. It also has the reticle but is also about $200 more and is not available right now. I'll go check out the Bushnell.

Another vote here for Bushnell. I have the lmss 8 to 40 and absolutely love it. Its robust and well-built, rubberized coating, yet small and light enough that I actually take it to matches, unlike my Zeiss T85. With a small to medium sized carbon fiber tripod, taking it along is never a hassle. It would be ideal for PRS competitions, target practice, or in the field hunting. It's available with and without a reticle. Image below from Google search..

Elite-Tactical-8-40x60-on-Tripod.jpg

Reactions: kabarNC
Another vote here for Bushnell. I have the lmss 8 to 40 and absolutely love it. Its robust and well-built, rubberized coating, yet small and light enough that I actually take it to matches, unlike my Zeiss T85. With a small to medium sized carbon fiber tripod, taking it along is never a hassle. It would be ideal for PRS competitions, target practice, or in the field hunting. It's available with and without a reticle. Image below from Google search..

View attachment 7010554

Is that a different model? All the Legend Tactical spotters I've seen have looked like a periscope, for lack of a better word, with the ocular under the objective

Is that a different model? All the Legend Tactical spotters I've seen have looked like a periscope, for lack of a better word, with the ocular under the objective
I was about to say the same thing would do a check on all of the tactical line offerings