• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Starting spotting scope

Maxim0

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2018
Have been gradually stretching the legs of my .308 as i am beginning to learn proper shooting techniques and would like to get a spotting scope for two main reasons. One to get some feedback on shot placement (although i have a high enough powered scope to see bolt holes at 600) and second is to get whoever tags along into the action some. Will a simple cheap amazon bird watching scope be sufficient for my desires or should i expect to spend $400-700 for a decent one? Would really like one I can attach phone to so i can view it while solo without moving positions.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

Welcome to the 'hide. If you have a few minutes to discuss this please feel free to give me a call, 516-217-1000, and we can go over some options.
There's good quality for what you want from Hawke, Athlon, some demos from Kowa aren't too expensive or Konus.
Have a great day
Doug

Thank you Doug, I'll give you a call later today. Just to warn you though I will not be purchasing today. Gathering information first and will probably purchase within the weeks end.

One of the requirements I would have would be a mil style reticle, are there any of those to be had for less than $1000 ?

One of the requirements I would have would be a mil style reticle, are there any of those to be had for less than $1000 ?

The Bushnell Legend T is possibly the best option on the market under $1k if you want a reticle - and it's FFP to boot. 15-45x magnification, FFP MIL reticle, and ED Prime glass. I've used mine at 1700+ spotting for 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 SAUM without issues, and PhoneSkope makes an adapter for it. I film video through mine on a regular basis.

Thanks for the information. I was looking at the Sightmark latitude 20 60x80 xd. It also has the reticle but is also about $200 more and is not available right now. I'll go check out the Bushnell.

Another vote here for Bushnell. I have the lmss 8 to 40 and absolutely love it. Its robust and well-built, rubberized coating, yet small and light enough that I actually take it to matches, unlike my Zeiss T85. With a small to medium sized carbon fiber tripod, taking it along is never a hassle. It would be ideal for PRS competitions, target practice, or in the field hunting. It's available with and without a reticle. Image below from Google search..

Elite-Tactical-8-40x60-on-Tripod.jpg

Reactions: kabarNC
Another vote here for Bushnell. I have the lmss 8 to 40 and absolutely love it. Its robust and well-built, rubberized coating, yet small and light enough that I actually take it to matches, unlike my Zeiss T85. With a small to medium sized carbon fiber tripod, taking it along is never a hassle. It would be ideal for PRS competitions, target practice, or in the field hunting. It's available with and without a reticle. Image below from Google search..

View attachment 7010554

Is that a different model? All the Legend Tactical spotters I've seen have looked like a periscope, for lack of a better word, with the ocular under the objective

Is that a different model? All the Legend Tactical spotters I've seen have looked like a periscope, for lack of a better word, with the ocular under the objective
I was about to say the same thing would do a check on all of the tactical line offerings