• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors State Lines and Cans

DustyRoads91

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Irrigon , Oregon
So I've been under the impression since purchasing my first suppressor that it's illegal to cross statelines with it. What's the rule on this? I've read several guys say it's legal to cross state lines as long as they are legal in the state your going to but I always thought you had to submit paperwork if say I wanted to take mine from Oregon to South Carolina for a hog hunt? 

You can travel with them no problem as long as its legal in that state. NO CA, No NY, etc, but its no problem.

fly with them, shoot matches, training, etc, just carry the paperwork treat it lije a rifle.

I'm no expert on suppressors, but a big fan of them. The American Suppressor Association has the following map on their website, it shows where suppressors are 'illegal,' 'legal to own' and 'legal to hunt.' I would think you're good to go in the red states. DustyRoads, I see you're from Irrigon, we're dang near neighbors; I'm across the river and a few miles north of Paterson.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1320.photobucket.com\/albums\/u533\/fishing4sanity\/SupMap_zpsig69eimh.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
Thanks for the map that pretty much answers any questions I had there. That's crazy though I don't think I've been to Paterson before even though it's just an eye shot away from Irrigon across the river. Glad to meet a local guy on here

A form 5320.20 is required to take SBRs, SBSs, destructive devices, and machine guns. Others are fine without any notification.

I'm not 100% sure joker but I think moving to a different state is different then just visiting one. I thought there was a change of address form that was suppose to be filled out I can remember if it's the 5320 form or not. Anybody else know for sure on this?

Instructions are on the bottom back of your stamp (form 1 or form 4). If the item discribed is a short barreled rifle, short barreled shotgun, machine gun, or distructive device form 5320 must be used.

Same area: if the address discription in (box) 2A changes the owner must notify the ATF in writing (no form named) to Martinsburg, WV (entire address is listed).

All you have to do is read folks. Answers are in your hands.

Yea reading it probably helps. I guess there is just a lot of misinformation out there for folks who just want to make sure. Sites like these help out a lot I think in straightening a guy out towards the right direction. 

Oh I am not knocking anyone asking a question. This particular question comes up about every month or so. I have had suppressors for almost 10 years and no shit I just saw those instructions on my stamps last night. I was like "DUH". In fact I think 5+ years ago I might have asked this question.

Yea I've had a few for a couple years now and just never planned on taking them out of state. Good to know it's legal to do so now I can start thinking about some long distance hunting trips. 

As you can see from that map, CT is literally an "island" of suppressor ownership being completely surrounded by non-legal states. So is there no way to legally drive with a suppressor to another suppressor legal state from CT? Flying from a CT airport is the only way? There is no FOPA type protection for suppressors when traveling through non-legal states to get to a destination where they are legal?

Yes, Your final destination has to be in a suppressor friendly state. In General it is advised not to stop even for fuel in a non-friendly state.

Yea that's a pretty weird situation I guess with what everyone's said I'd side with 2ndamend on just making sure you haul ass through those illegal states without stopping and dont ever take it out until you make it across. 

The ATF doesn't have an issue with travel through banned states. As stated the final destination needs to be in a "free" state. BUT local laws may differ. I see that travel through New York may be required. I would avoid New York at all costs. To many stories of people flying through New York and having a flight delayed requiring a stay over at a hotel. When they chexk back in and declare firearm in checked bag getting arrested if the gun is not New York freindly.

The problem is that some states or parts of states seem to treat the FOPA-type laws more like an affirmative defense rather than the standing law. I've flown out of NYC airports with long guns but only out of CT airports with handguns. Would treat flying with suppressors the same way.

It is interesting that, in my experience, the NYC airports always call to have a Port Authority police officer inspect the firearms after the TSA has done their thing. The only place I have ever encountered this step. I believe the main purpose is to catch people flying with checked handguns. Their contention seems to be that you can't be in NYC with a handgun without a NYC permit. So no way to fly out of a NYC airport with a handgun without a NYC permit. Once they see it is a long gun, they scratch your name down in a notebook and move along. Avoiding NYC is a good thing altogether for so many reasons!