• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stay or Go ... Potential Changes

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Looking at the forum sections, there are few that maybe able to go...

So if there is something missing or something that might be better served if we change it, now is the time to request it ?

have an idea for a forum section throw it out there and we'll see if it flies

Looking over the main forum page, I don't see any sections that IMO should be deleted. Just my opinion though.

Additions - I'll have to think that over for a bit. Nothing comes to mind immediately though.

Looking at the forum sections, there are few that maybe able to go...

So if there is something missing or something that might be better served if we change it, now is the time to request it ?

have an idea for a forum section throw it out there and we'll see if it flies

I would very much urge you to consider an Australian sub forum. It would greatly assist in members finding each other to shoot and trade. We need every piece of help we can get in not only securing our firearms rights in Australia; but also in breaking the stranglehold F class holds over clubs here.

I would very much urge you to consider an Australian sub forum. It would greatly assist in members finding each other to shoot and trade. We need every piece of help we can get in not only securing our firearms rights in Australia; but also in breaking the stranglehold F class holds over clubs here.

Totally agree mate. We now have our own PRS style comps running down here that are only getting better. We still have a long way to go but it is a start.

Chat will be back at some point soon,

For the Aussies, consider making a post in the Member Link Up section and then you can share it around and use it... We have the Groups Option too, not 100% how that works but we can figure it out

Reactions: PrecisionRifleGuy
    I don't feel they should be outright deleted, but I feel both Bear Pit and Maggie's Bar & Grill should require certain special permissions to view and post there. Maybe permissions such as a certain post count number or maybe an approval by an admin. My reasoning behind this is I'm a member at many other gun related forums and there's certain gun forums that get talked about as "free for all" types of forums. The Hide is one of those types that gets talked about. I been a part of this awesome community for over 10 years and I'm not keen on the idea of folks joining this site just to use as their own personal playground and have no interest in long range shooting or shooting in general for that matter.

Do we still need the Commercial Sales Section? On the Scout side we had a lot of dealers doing business in the regular classifieds sections.
    If they posted specific products for specific prices I'd usually let them stay.
    If they posted something non-specific like "Year End Blowout Sale - 10% Off Everything" I'd move them to the Commercial Section. At least the ones I saw or was made aware of.

I always kind of found the differences between the advanced and dumb questions forum a bit muttled. Seems like those 2 could be combined some how. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it possible to bring back the 2nd Amend section.

I was thinking about this, too, and I'm not sure if it would wind up being much more than a lint trap for some of the more argumentative and disruptive. Ideally, we should all support 2A here, but I deplore the people who make it a point to provoke reactions through its exercise. We wind up edging into politics and don't always use inside voices doing so. As it is, I still haven't seen clear direction on politics here;the site may essentially be the same in content and purpose, but it's very much Frank's roof, not an arrangement under a massive corporate entity.

Reactions: jr81452
    Is it possible to bring back the 2nd Amend section.

I would like this also as it was a great tool to come to one place and stay informed on all the 2nd amendment issues around the nation. I understand and remember why the boss man closed it down previously, so whatever he decides, it's his house.

Reactions: jr81452
    I was thinking about this, too, and I'm not sure if it would wind up being much more than a lint trap for some of the more argumentative and disruptive. Ideally, we should all support 2A here, but I deplore the people who make it a point to provoke reactions through its exercise. We wind up edging into politics and don't always use inside voices doing so. As it is, I still haven't seen clear direction on politics here;the site may essentially be the same in content and purpose, but it's very much Frank's roof, not an arrangement under a massive corporate entity.

A couple other sites I use have a Political Forum. The rules about having thick skin, crying and notifying mods are pretty strict. What is said in those does not cross over into the other parts. If you do carry over you will be banned. Considering the last 8 years politically. I was pretty impressed on how it worked. I think I have only seen one person that notified a mod. He complained about being called a name by another member. His PM was posted in the thread. It was followed by " If you have thin skin. Stay out of the forum. Next notification and you will be banned."
    As you said a 2A section is probably not needed with the relaxed rules in the Bear Pit. Things have not gotten out of control there as of late. I think under the current admin things will not be like the past 8 yrs.

Reactions: abizdafuzz
    My comments I've already made in a PM w.r.t. to the training videos or training catalog. I recognize the difficulty in porting stuff over but getting a 'curriculum' to the training content such that the vids can be viewed and the techniques practiced in a substantive and progressive manner would be very beneficial in numerous ways (not least, giving noobs a clear path for skills dev.).

On a more general note - this thing about post count equating to some manner of seniority is nonsense and for obvious reasons. Why not establish some manner of demonstrated skills specific ranking so that we can identify those who have relevant knowledge. For example. Josh/Bohem is clearly experienced in gunsmithing, ballistics and competition shooting. He has several stickies already. He should have some manner of moniker that speaks to his expertise. Why? Because if in a thread where a 100 folks post, typically a few really know what they're talking about or why the topic is being raised. It should enable better learning for those who ask questions. Also, if the skills ranking is 'demonstrable' - e.g. published dot drills, ranks in shooting comps, vids of hitting at range (just spit balling here, not saying these are the best options) it gives us ALL something to aspire to within the community.

Would anyone see a benefit in the "Armory and Supply" area of having a "New Product Release" forum? I was simply thinking of a central location where anything new could be announced with a link to the discussion thread in whatever existing forum (bolt action, scopes, etc).
    One stop shop simply to say "hey, this company has a new thing, follow this link in 'rifle scopes' to check it out and discuss/update"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would anyone see a benefit in the "Armory and Supply" area of having a "New Product Release" forum? I was simply thinking of a central location where anything new could be announced with a link to the discussion thread in whatever existing forum (bolt action, scopes, etc).
    One stop shop simply to say "hey, this company has a new thing, follow this link in 'rifle scopes' to check it out and discuss/update"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yes to this. Always looking to spend me money ASAP...

Well I agree with Maser and VeerG. Some sort of Vetting for Maggies and the "pit" wouldn't be a horrible idea. Also 2A section was nice for knowing what Congress was doing. With the relaxed rules it probably isn't 100% needed other than for organizational reasons.

I don't feel they should be outright deleted, but I feel both Bear Pit and Maggie's Bar & Grill should require certain special permissions to view and post there. Maybe permissions such as a certain post count number or maybe an approval by an admin. My reasoning behind this is I'm a member at many other gun related forums and there's certain gun forums that get talked about as "free for all" types of forums. The Hide is one of those types that gets talked about. I been a part of this awesome community for over 10 years and I'm not keen on the idea of folks joining this site just to use as their own personal playground and have no interest in long range shooting or shooting in general for that matter.

IMO any issues related to this can better be handled by moderation. Post count is meaningless. Some of us may listen and read and learn more than blah, blah, blah to raise post count. I'm also a member of numerous forums and I've seen some horrendous advice being thrown out by high post count members. Quality is a much more important factor than quantity. The only way to eliminate a "free for all" is to have clear cut rules that are strictly enforced by moderators.

The problem I see with 'members only' sections is that it promotes cliquish behavior and discourages the raising up of other members trying to learn. The natural tendencies of member-only sections is for those members to cloister themselves away which benefits them but not the community. I'm all for recognizing those with substantial skills but there are many ways to do that without creating a private club.

JMO as a long time member with a low post count. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Reactions: 34SF
    One thing you might consider is to put a donations button on the top of each px page that links to your paypal account to help fund the site.
    Also, is there a way, as another member mentioned in another thread, to include a "new posts" button at the end of the threads to show new posts without refreshing the page?

Reactions: 34SF
    One of the few things the scout forums had that I thought was a good layout idea is the ability to select a page within a thread. Here the old/new hide you have to either select the last post icon, go to the first page and then type in the page number. A drop down within the thread itself or a number select in the section would be nice. The old hide had that feature.

An employment leads forum. Lots of people here have skills sets that don't always translate easily into typical 9-5 gigs. The wife has a lead right now on what could be a brilliant milk run job for a f/w aviator with the right quals, and a stone's throw from PA at that. Think about it.

What's the point of vetting for anything on this site? So someone who is new can't read jokes or bullshit with other members? Seems pretty dumb. The reason this place has become their home on the net was because Frank gave a place for people like us to shoot the shit about things we enjoy, to learn about what we love, and to vent a little sometimes to people who might understand. A post count has nothing to do with any of that.

As for the vetting or ranking of people, all you have to do is read for a little bit and you can figure out real fast who is full of shit, and who isn't.

Disagree with the vetting for Maggies and the rest. Who benefits? Checking the box with a quota for posts does nothing except exclude people. If someone acts up, deal with that, but don't start a Hollywood A list membership criteria. From my perspective, it's pretty self-regulating. As for post counts...i lost a bunch when we moved and don't have anymore coming back. I don't feel less skilled or stupider for my count. Did I mention how glad I am that we're back!!!

Last edited:
    Vetting for a forum is retarded. All it needs are guidelines that show you were the distant corners are and moderation. Who gives a shit what other forums say.

The majority of it all works well, it's the Hide we all know and love anyhow. If anything, some of the sticky threads could be relegated into the abyss or maybe a consolidated FAQ/Sticky forum as they've lost relevance, and quite frankly it's a bit annoying when the first page of the Bolt and Scopes forums are over half stickies.

Stupid and Advanced Marksmanship forums being separate, redundant there and it's not like a lot of people know the difference anyhow. I know how the stupid forum came about, but I really don't think it's beneficial to separate the two.

One thing you might consider is to put a donations button on the top of each px page that links to your paypal account to help fund the site.
    Also, is there a way, as another member mentioned in another thread, to include a "new posts" button at the end of the threads to show new posts without refreshing the page?

maybe a not so bad idea, frank will know how neccessary it would be...but you figure if it were there, someone with the inclination, could...
    worded appropriately will retain the integrity of the forum...

Now that storage is "out of pocket" again, vs Scout's servers, would there be a benefit to archiving or deleting some of the more picture-heavy threads after a certain amount of time?
    Speaking for myself, once a new Motivational thread is going, I don't go back and search the previous 65 pages of older Motivationals. I use it as an example, but historically I'd think that they tend to be the most picture-intensive. Maybe have a shelf life for them of a year or two after they've maxed out? For sale threads could probably drop off or archive after a certain time period as well?
    Im no computer guy, so I'm just guessing, but it seems like the amount of data you're storing has got to be one of the major expenses to the site in terms of server/cloud capacity.

One usability tweak that I think was mentioned is having the nav bar at the top and bottom of the page so you can readily move around after reading through each page without having to scroll back to the top?

Reactions: Darkside-Six
    I created a PX Feedback Section ... remember you can search these sections and posts individually with the search located at the top of the topic

At the bottom of the page is a go to Top link, never really saw a lower nav bar

Now that storage is "out of pocket" again, vs Scout's servers, would there be a benefit to archiving or deleting some of the more picture-heavy threads after a certain amount of time?
    Speaking for myself, once a new Motivational thread is going, I don't go back and search the previous 65 pages of older Motivationals. I use it as an example, but historically I'd think that they tend to be the most picture-intensive. Maybe have a shelf life for them of a year or two after they've maxed out? For sale threads could probably drop off or archive after a certain time period as well?
    Im no computer guy, so I'm just guessing, but it seems like the amount of data you're storing has got to be one of the major expenses to the site in terms of server/cloud capacity.

Some sites "bag" the old HTML content and burn the entire site onto discs and then offer it to members who are willing to pay. After a certain period, that recorded content is either compressed and archived, or eliminated entirely. Hey, Mister, wanna buy six months' worth of The Hide? But you're right, in essence, it's crippling to store data consisting of guys posting enormous images (like from your cell phone on 4Kx3K pixel quality) and then having eight other guys quote picture-heavy posts in their entirety and write "Cool shit!" by way of response.

An employment leads forum. Lots of people here have skills sets that don't always translate easily into typical 9-5 gigs. The wife has a lead right now on what could be a brilliant milk run job for a f/w aviator with the right quals, and a stone's throw from PA at that. Think about it.

This, PLEASE!

I'm looking to re enter the job market and have one of those wonky resumes from which not every potential employer can extrapolate my skills and experience.
    I was actually going to post a "who's hiring" thread in the pit when I'm settled and looking. I'd fricken love to work for/with like-minded people.

Reactions: WATERWALKER
    I want to take some of the Sticky Information and Pare them down by putting that stuff in the "Articles" section ... that Article's tile above is perfect for evergreen content that clutters up the board as a Sticky

Reactions: Redmanss
    Some sites "bag" the old HTML content and burn the entire site onto discs and then offer it to members who are willing to pay. After a certain period, that recorded content is either compressed and archived, or eliminated entirely. Hey, Mister, wanna buy six months' worth of The Hide? But you're right, in essence, it's crippling to store data consisting of guys posting enormous images (like from your cell phone on 4Kx3K pixel quality) and then having eight other guys quote picture-heavy posts in their entirety and write "Cool shit!" by way of response.

I guess that could be an approach, but having lived through the microfilm/fiche era, I'd never pay for a random collection of old data.

One of the enormous values of this site is the incredible cache of old threads and info that will pull up whenever Joe Shooter googles a question. He's likely never heard of us, but after the 3rd or 4th time he has a question and finds the answer here, it becomes the place to start looking. That's how I ended up here, and eventually participating.

The killer is that we have what, 1248 pages or something just in the Pit? Most of that shit is "dead" at this point, as are most of the old threads in other areas that are still invaluable as a research tool, but don't necessarily need to be active for replies. If I find a 5yr old thread dealing with a question I have, I'm going to start a new thread rather than revive the old one.

Since there's an "archive server" available, was just thinking of lightening the load on the newer more expensive technology and using it for current data while maintaining searchable access to the older stuff.

As as I said I'm no computer guy, so I have no idea how many gerbils have to run on their wheels to make this place work.

Great idea again on the Employment section buddy, I hope that happens.

ETA: now that I consider it, I might just pay for old "volumes" of the info here if it were on a USB or something that had a fantastic search function.

Last edited:
    How about long lost threads on the Scout hide? Parker Hales was one that dissappeared in the distance. Would it be possible to make threads of 10 pages or more an automatic sticky, not to be moved out of a section if posts aren't continuously flowing.

We have on control or access to behind the scenes at scout and when I asked them about older posts that were no longer accessible they had no idea.

Stuff gets repeated so often its just as easy to repeat it and ask it again. If you remember part of what the discussion was, just ask, and the answers will get filled in. The message might not be there but, the information is not gone. After all it's the members who relay the information filling in the message. We can recreate anything with a simple post.

The Archive server is gone, its been left for this one, which, as of last night is a new NASCAR Server so we don't get bogged down. Servers cost money, it's not like I have all these servers in my back pocket, so I can spend my money on making these work great or I can string it out and have a bunch of weak ass systems doing a half assed job.

It's easier to create text files, and then email me them and I will create articles for all to use and reference.

Prior to the move back some pruning was done, sure we can use more, and we do prune over time, so for evergreen content it's best to create a system for retrieval that can transcend moves and changes

This new server is definitely NASCAR. I'm so used to waiting for pages to load that several times today I skipped a page accidentally, hitting the next button thinking I was bogged down when in fact the new page had loaded so quickly that I'd missed it.

I guess the the expense of the servers was my point. They seem to be the bigger/biggest? expense of running this place. I was just tossing around ideas to shave some data that has to be dealt with. I was in several forums today that had 3000+ pages. That info is one of the real commodities here, but not sure it needs to still be "active".

I love the remodel on our old home, it's truly where the heart is.

Frank - perhaps breaking out the Equipment forum into sub-sections such as triggers, bipods, slings, New Products Coming, etc? Some sort of vendor list (which they could pay you to be on) per category as a sticky would make product availability and selection worthwhile. E.g. I'm looking into triggers for a TL3 build, I started out looking at TriggerTech and because of a different thread that was about 2 stage came across Bix'nAndy Comp which looks promising... It was more serendipity than search that led me to the Bix'nAndy...

How about a "Reviews" section? Most user reviews get pushed off the first couple of pages fairly quickly. That is really the only thing I can think of at the moment.

I just saw "Airborne Qualified" didn't make it over, Is it possible to bring that over? Or, just start a new one. BuffaloWinter had some great posts on there.

Since we are 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% men, and the few topics Ive run on Men's health, from depression to arthritis treatment to prostate ( I know) have all gotten good results and gotten me quite a few pm's in thanks. Id like to see a MEN'S HEALTH forum where all the info that we share isnt lost to rotation and can be looked up easily. It could include vision care, vital to LR shooting.

There are 3 competition sub-forums that are difficult to distinguish (excluding F, F T/R classes). PRS Clubs and Club Matches, Precision or Tactical Rifle Matches, and Local Matches.

A sub forum for each state would be too many, and regions would still bring complaints... Maybe just have two: PRS and Independent/non-PRS with state abbreviations in the title.???

Last edited:
    The majority of it all works well, it's the Hide we all know and love anyhow. If anything, some of the sticky threads could be relegated into the abyss or maybe a consolidated FAQ/Sticky forum as they've lost relevance, and quite frankly it's a bit annoying when the first page of the Bolt and Scopes forums are over half stickies.

Stupid and Advanced Marksmanship forums being separate, redundant there and it's not like a lot of people know the difference anyhow. I know how the stupid forum came about, but I really don't think it's beneficial to separate the two.

I agree 100% the sticky's can go into there own sub forum

I agree the whole "vetting" thing to get into certain sections is only so a slect few assholes who like to stroke each other off can do it even more without interference unless you know the secret knock is fucking ridiculous. There are a couple guys that post in the Bearpit that I don't think even shoot anything except there mouths off and one in particular that masturbates to a thesaurus every night.......lol

Reactions: abizdafuzz