• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steel Target safety rules

charlestondiving

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Charleston SC
www.furniturehoo.com
Anyone have a good set of range rules for shooting steel they wouldn't mind sharing?

We have a very small gun club and I've been tasked with coming up with a set of safety rules for the new ar500 steel targets we got during the group buy. Most of these guys have never shot steel before. We need to set rules as to what calibers and distances are allowed.

Rifles
shotgun slugs, buckshot, birdshot
handgun lead, fmj
22 rifles

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Re: Steel Target safety rules

At palmetto gun club the pistol bays have steel. They recommend no closer that 17 yards and velocities no grater than 1500 fps. Splatter does happen but you should always were ear and eye protection. For rifles, no armer piercing bullets and the closest steel is 200 yards.

Thank you,

I used to be a member at Palmetto when i lived out in summerville years ago. Would love to find a good place to shoot long range closer to Mt Pleasant where I am now if you know of anywhere.

I can tell you from personal experience that small fast rounds will ricochet back towards the shooter at close ranges. By close I mean, we had ricochets at 50-160yrds with 5.45x39mm.

This was not shooting at armored steel however, it was some random steel I found laying around and decided to hang from a target stand I made, but just something to think about.

From a safety standpoint, nothing closer than 100 for centerfire rifle. Make sure the plates are angled slightly so the splatter goes down.

From a longevity standpoint, make sure the steel can "give" a little. Speed (as in MV) eats steel. We never shoot my steel inside of 300 yards. Just my opinion, I'm wrong alot.

I would recommend 308 type rounds at 100 yards and further. And 300 WM rounds at 200 yards and further.

For those distances I like to have me steel free hanging. It should last a very long time like that. Use grade 8 bolts to hang them and youll be in good shape.

I like to be at least 15 yards for shooting pistols. Most pistols dont really do a thing to the steel so just the 15 yard rule and youll be in good shape here as well.

For rifles, no AP rounds. Other than that tell them to shoot away!!!