• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steel Target Thickness

Buck Wilde

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2020
FL
I have some 6" gongs and some gongs shaped like people and animals. I feel like I should get a big, traditional gong for long distance rifle shooting. I would be shooting things like 6.5 Creedmoor, .308, and possibly 7.62 x54R.

Is 3/8" okay, or will I regret not buying 1/2"? Seems to me carrying a 3/8" gong 800 yards would be easier.

Thanks. Very helpful.

Is there a standard size for long-range targets? I'm talking about the rectangular ones with little rectangular heads on them.

Thanks. I want whatever is considered normal at 1000 yards.

My only long range experience was at Altus, and we didn't get close enough to the targets to measure them!

There is no normal. It depends on how much of a challenge you want to give yourself. 1 MOA target at 1000yds is 10". I would guess that's a challenge for average shooters. 18" or 24" would be more reasonable.

I find 1/4" works fine on most calibers. even 300PRC past 200yds. Although it does jump and move more that 3/8".

3/8 will be great, If your going to shoot at 1000 get the bigger you're considering much easier to hit at that distance you can always put the smaller targets out for more of a challenge. I have several 12x20 and several 10x18 all 3/8. I shoot them from 200 to 1000. They also work great for pistol.

Last edited:
Thanks. I want whatever is considered normal at 1000 yards.
Normal at 1K is based upon a few things...
1- how is your shooting
2- do you always have a spotter with at least $800 in glass calling shots?

I don't know your set up but I would suggest a few sheets of plywood at 1K as a way to spot misses...

steel in the center and an 8' backdrop behind it...

If you miss the steel is it your dope, your shooting or your gear?

My range had some steel at 1K and an overgrown impact area... if you missed it was difficult or impossible to tell where you were off...

plywood can easily be painted or patched so you can find new holes...

As far as steel... it's a velocity issue mainly.. plate will absorb a ton of handgun rounds up close...

once you get past 150 yards, 3/8" is good for most rifles... 50 BMG wrecks steel targets so 3/4" or 1" is suggested...

If you are shooting something major, shoot once and inspect for damage... If damaged, move it further away and get thicker for up close

Example of pitting... :)

45018ED9-4E17-4756-9070-123BB4779BD8.jpeg

I've seen plates for sale at Bass Pro that are AR500 and recommend 250 yard minimum for magnum calibers and they are 3/8" thick.

My 3/8 has held up good to 6.5cm, .308 and 6.8 at 100yds. A soft point .22-250 will chip it though.

Power and velocity is what kills steel.

I bought a $70 target setup with an 8" and 10" gong, both 3/8". I thought it would be a throw away hitting it with my 338. I was surprised to see it not dent at all at 300 yards. I also have a 3/8 steel plate roughly 2 foot by 3 foot for 1000 yards.

I think you will be fine with 3/8" AR500 gongs, I have many, from 100 to 200 yds at my home range (mounted in front of an old valve spring for movement), that have been peppered for years, with most popular calibers with almost no damage (make sure guest's don't shoot steel core ammo) I have had good luck with targets off Ebay, from Gongtargetsystems, and ar500targetsolutionslic. Also Frick Metals on Etsy makes some unique targets, I have one of his 4" over 5" rifle spinner, that I put at 500 yds, lots of fun !! Hope this helps??

i've shot 6.5creed at 100 and up with 3/8" ar 500 without any issues!