• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner 3-12x56 Military Issues

Ozzy1

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2014
Hi, this is my first post. I came across this forum looking for solutions to problems with my Steiner scope that (I think) I have. This is my first optic, I've been using irons and Aimpoints, but wanted to get into some long range shooting with GA Precision 300 Winmag I'm having built.

These are the issues i have:

1. I find quite a bit of chromatic aberration during high contrast light. If my eye is looking dead center then I don't really see any. As soon as a shift my eye a fraction away from center the purple fringing appears and gets worse the more my eye moves away from center. Is this normal, even in a high end optic? ......I don't know

2. I can't seem to get a sharp image, no matter how much I play with the parallax/focus adjust. Is there something else I need to be doing? My caveat here is I'm used to using high end camera optics, Zeiss, Leica, Nikon. Maybe my expectations of what sharp is, is tainted from my experience with photography.

3. I have get some image ghosting, for example if i look at the roof of a car 150 yards way, it's like having double vision. Also starring from bright reflections is a problem.

4. The nils on the turrets don't appear to be even, with some not lining up.

So, before I send this off for a warranty repair, what are your opinions. Am I expecting too much, am I doing something wrong?

I know Steiner has a great reputation, did I get a dud?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to adjust your diopter (on the ocular bell).

Thanks for the reply. I Tried that, didn't help. According to the instructions the diopter is on;y used to make sure the crosshairs are in focus.

Something doesn't sound right. I've only owned the 5-25x56 and the 4-16 models but when I compare them to my S&B, March, and friends hensoldt they are pretty close to optical quality and I nit pick optics to death. Basically I'm not 100% satisfied with any options out there and always find something I want to change if nothing else the reticle or something. They being said your high end photo stuff may have you looking more in depth into things that I may not notice. I do look for CA in every optic and haven't noticed any heavily quantifiable CA on my steiners. How old is the optic? Maybe find someone local who has one to compare to see if it's your scope or what.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I know this sounds stupid but is your eye close enough to scope? I've had similar problems with a nightforce which I had mounted to far forward. I moved it back an inch or so and walla clear picture.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I wanted to wait until we got our Steiner 5-25x56 MSR back from Burris for service before I commented about it but with your post you might find our information useful. Our Steiner also had BAD chromatic aberration, except it did not seem like being in the center helped. I called Burris and they said to send it in, which we did almost five weeks ago. Earlier this week we got an email saying that the scope was in spec, that scopes will show CA at higher magnification, and that they would continue their inspection and return it shortly. It does not appear that they will fix the issue. I wish they told me that over the phone before we spent $53 in shipping/insurance and wasted almost 5 weeks of our time for basically nothing. Seriously, the CA was terrible. I've noticed slight CA in our Vortex Viper PST 6-24x but at that price point I can't really complain considering the features you get. But at the price Steiner is charging for their scopes and the fact that two of their big selling points are not only glass quality but also their supposedly great customer service/warranty, we're very disappointed. I hope you have better luck than we did.

Last edited:
1. I find quite a bit of chromatic aberration during high contrast light. If my eye is looking dead center then I don't really see any. As soon as a shift my eye a fraction away from center the purple fringing appears and gets worse the more my eye moves away from center. Is this normal, even in a high end optic? ......I don't know

2. I can't seem to get a sharp image, no matter how much I play with the parallax/focus adjust. Is there something else I need to be doing? My caveat here is I'm used to using high end camera optics, Zeiss, Leica, Nikon. Maybe my expectations of what sharp is, is tainted from my experience with photography.

3. I have get some image ghosting, for example if i look at the roof of a car 150 yards way, it's like having double vision. Also starring from bright reflections is a problem.

4. The nils on the turrets don't appear to be even, with some not lining up.

So, before I send this off for a warranty repair, what are your opinions. Am I expecting too much, am I doing something wrong?

I know Steiner has a great reputation, did I get a dud?

Thanks for your help.

I owned the 3-12x50mm version of that scope for a couple months, and ended up selling it because (1) it was too big and heavy for the magnification, (2) I found the reticle a bit thick, and (3) I wasn't blown away with the glass quality. Here are my replies to your questions based on very limited experience:

1) My example had noticeable CA if your eye was off-center even slightly, but none when centered. Which I think is exactly what you're describing for yours. I have experienced this with a number of scopes in the $800-1800 range and assume it is normal, but I don't have enough experience to say that all or even most do it.

2) Mine was nice and sharp, but I don't use pro-quality camera lenses either. I have found, again in my limited personal experience, that rifle scope optical performance is often on par with non-rifle scope optics costing anywhere from one quarter to even a tenth as much as the rifle scope being compared. In other words, I have some $80 Nikon binoculars that seem optically comparable to $600+ scopes I own. I know there are certain optical technologies that can't stand up to rifle scope use (fluorite glass is one) so that may be a factor. The bigger factor is probably the reticle, erector assembly and rugged housing needed in a scope, which aren't needed in most other optics.

3) I don't remember any ghosting or starring. I think this is an issue with either your focusing, your eye position, or your scope.

4) I'm not certain what you mean about mils not lining up, could you take a photo? I saw no turret issues with the example I had, and of course Steiner is generally top tier quality for that sort of thing.

I own the 4x16 and 3x12. The 4/16 does not exhibit these issues. I cannot speak to the ca is the 3/12 it is new and the reticle system is broken (it is being exchanged from retailer / euro optics). I spent some time at the range with it though. Sharp as a tack. ( I am a professional photographer and use only canon L series lenses) no ghosting either. Now the range day was heavy overcast. I did not use this scope in the sun. I have used the 4/16 in all conditions.

None of this has solved your issue except my scope is sharp. I cannot live with soft images. Can't zero it but sharp. Sounds like it needs to be repaired.

Ozzy, I am having similar problems. I can't get a sharp image through my scope either.

Initially, I could notice no difference as I adjusted parallax. I sent it in for repair.

Here is what they told me:

"Scope was re-centered, recoiled and fog tested. Scope functions perfectly. Adjustment range and click graduations checked thoroughly. Scope has full range of adjustment and functions properly. Please check the mounting system and see if it is out of line with the bore of the firearm. The scope is now centered. Scope recoiled and all lens mountings checked. Scope holds point of impact under repeated recoil. Please check bedding, ammo or firearm. Repaired and recalibrated parallax adjustment system. Recoiled to verify function. Scope functions properly."

Even now, side focus/parallax adjustment makes virtually no difference from one extreme to the other. Regardless, I can't get a sharp image. It's driving me nuts. I did a google search and found your thread here and joined to see how things are going for you with your scope.

Ozzy, I am having similar problems. I can't get a sharp image through my scope either.
Initially, I could notice no difference as I adjusted parallax. I sent it in for repair.
Here is what they told me:
"Scope was re-centered, recoiled and fog tested. Scope functions perfectly. Adjustment range and click graduations checked thoroughly. Scope has full range of adjustment and functions properly. Please check the mounting system and see if it is out of line with the bore of the firearm. The scope is now centered. Scope recoiled and all lens mountings checked. Scope holds point of impact under repeated recoil. Please check bedding, ammo or firearm. Repaired and recalibrated parallax adjustment system. Recoiled to verify function. Scope functions properly."
Even now, side focus/parallax adjustment makes virtually no difference from one extreme to the other. Regardless, I can't get a sharp image. It's driving me nuts. I did a google search and found your thread here and joined to see how things are going for you with your scope.

Their description of work sounds very extensive. Let me preface my question with this - I don't know who you are, a newbie to longer shooting or someone with decades of experience and dozens of courses and hundreds of competitions. So, that said, have you adjusted the ocular focus since getting the scope back? When I had the 50mm version of this scope the side focus/parallax worked just like on every other scope, with a very noticeable change in focus as you adjusted it. If your ocular focus is far away from correct for your eyes, you might have a fuzzy image at all parallax settings, even though the parallax isn't the problem.

Yes, I adjusted the ocular focus and got the reticle nice and sharp. Just can't get the image sharp.

I have a Primary Arms 4-14X ffp with side focus/parallax. I have no issues with it.

Last edited: