• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner 5-25x56

I have the full 26 and I'll most likely never use it.
It's not gonna be easy for me to get out to even 1000 yards, so I probably will never need more than 10 mils of elevation.

In my situation, I'd actually be happier with less available elevation available as it would mean the erector spring is not nearly fully compressed at the 100 yard zero where the scope spends most of its time.

Joe

I played around with a Steiner 5-25x56 with the MSR reticle, next to a S&B 5-25 P4f. We were mainly focusing on the reticle, which was very nice but thicker than the P4f. Turrets didn't feel quite as precise as the S&B as far as as how they settled into the detents between clicks, but they did feel pretty good.

Kirk R

I can't do a side by side since I sold my S&B but IIRC the turrets are very similar to my Steiner 5-25.
I suspect that I have the new improved turrets, but I wonder which revision you sampled.
You will notice that the Steiner turrets exactly mimic the S&B in terms of zero stop and max elevation, and even elevation per turn. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that nonsense.
The 2nd turn indicator is flat out cool on the Steiner, though; if I ever wear out my turrets it will be b/c I can't help myself :)

Steiner is very quick to respond to input from end users.
Ilya Koshkin reported he had a problem with the Steiner 4-16 he included in his tactical scopes review (suggested reading IMHO) and an email to Steiner was all it took to set a resolution in motion.
Here is an excerpt from his article "High End Tactical Scopes Part III" on opticsthoughts.com

"The specific piece I tested is from a fairly early production run and when I first put it onto the 338LM, the sunshade flew off after the first shot. Up until that point the testing was monotonous (read: boring), so I was kinda happy to finally find a problem that I can sink my teeth into. It turned out that the adapter ring on the front of the scope that the sunshade screws into was coming off under recoil of the 338. Generally speaking, since this is a new product line, I am not particularly bothered by some early problems. However, I was very curious to see how Steiner would handle it, so I sent an e-mail to the gentleman I was dealing with there with a brief description of the problem and a picture of what happened. For a couple days there was no reply, so I was getting a bit concerned. Then I get an e-mail back basically explaining that approximately thirty seconds after hearing from me, they started pulling scopes from the production line for extensive testing of how both the standard and weighted sunshades hold up under recoil. It turned out that some number of the scopes exhibited the same problem as mine and they identified them and implemented a fix immediately. They did not waste any time on trying to tell me that this is an isolated incident or that this stuff never happens or any other such rubbish. Rather than spend time and effort of PR damage control, they instead found the problem and took care of it."

Exciting days for the tactical shooter, indeed.

Joe

Do you know when the newer MSR will be out? I've been looking long at hard at one of these but definitely would want the thinner center

I've already looked into the retrofit of the turrets for you guys in anticipation of this request. The answer is yes we will be able to do that for you guys. I'm trying to put together all of the details for that and if I can I would like to be able to do this at no charge. I will keep you informed. At this point it's looking pretty good and I hope to have good news for you soon.

I'm looking into the MSR reticle modifications and I will let you all know what I find out when I hear back.

Have enjoyed the MSR 5-25 very much. Much better eye relief than the S&B even though the numbers claim to be identical at 90mm. No problem with tactile clicks, they are where they should be. Any news on the thinner MSR or "Floating Dot" perhaps like the new Khales. That would make it the perfect scope....for me at least.

So I've been looking for the info on the retrofit of the turrets that was to take place after the first of the year. Haven't seen any details about how or where to send scope for mods. I have two of these and would like to get them in before match season gets here. Any more info available?

QUOTE=Steiner Optics;2556034]I've already looked into the retrofit of the turrets for you guys in anticipation of this request. The answer is yes we will be able to do that for you guys. I'm trying to put together all of the details for that and if I can I would like to be able to do this at no charge. I will keep you informed. At this point it's looking pretty good and I hope to have good news for you soon.

I'm looking into the MSR reticle modifications and I will let you all know what I find out when I hear back.[/QUOTE]

There really is no time frame we can promise. But, yes, the turrets upgrade will be offered ASAP.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Do the 3x15 have the new MSR or are they the same ones as the 5x25? Just deciding on which to get..

There really is no time frame we can promise. But, yes, the turrets upgrade will be offered ASAP.

Regarding the updated turrets,

Will this be determined by S/N range or the customers discretion? I'm sure the turrets on my 5-25 could be better...

What are the turrets being "upgraded" to? I just bought a Steiner Mil 5-25x, so I assume it has the latest turrets already, right?

Jon,

Tracking information received as well as notice of a small refund in shipping costs since 3 sets are shipping together. Great service, thank you.

I'm amazed at how good all of your guys eye sight is! IMO, Steiner should ship magnifying glasses with their scopes to operate their turrets. I bought a 5-25 MSR but returned it because I couldn't read the elevation turret hash marks (and I'm in my early 30s). Was that 7.3 mil or 7.2? Hrmm let me get my microscope. Almost three grand for a scope and they label the 14 mil revolution elevation turret in a light gray color with the hash marks less than a hair's width apart?

Regarding the updated turrets,

Will this be determined by S/N range or the customers discretion? I'm sure the turrets on my 5-25 could be better...

I also would like to know how to determine which turrets your scope has and if the upgrade will help.

BTW - A BIG +1 for Sport Optics. Great to deal with over the phone and they gave me a nice "Hide discount" on a 5-25 with the MSR reticle. The shipping notification came within about an hour of placing the order and it landed on the doorstep a few days later. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but its a sweet looking scope. I would definitely order from Sportoptics again in a microheartbeat.

Time to bring this up again, still want to get this issue resolved!

So I've been looking for the info on the retrofit of the turrets that was to take place after the first of the year. Haven't seen any details about how or where to send scope for mods. I have two of these and would like to get them in before match season gets here. Any more info available?

QUOTE=Steiner Optics;2556034]I've already looked into the retrofit of the turrets for you guys in anticipation of this request. The answer is yes we will be able to do that for you guys. I'm trying to put together all of the details for that and if I can I would like to be able to do this at no charge. I will keep you informed. At this point it's looking pretty good and I hope to have good news for you soon.

I'm looking into the MSR reticle modifications and I will let you all know what I find out when I hear back.
[/QUOTE]

SportOptics, on your site it says "Like New", I was wondering are they new or used or just opened?

I'm amazed at how good all of your guys eye sight is! IMO, Steiner should ship magnifying glasses with their scopes to operate their turrets. I bought a 5-25 MSR but returned it because I couldn't read the elevation turret hash marks (and I'm in my early 30s). Was that 7.3 mil or 7.2? Hrmm let me get my microscope. Almost three grand for a scope and they label the 14 mil revolution elevation turret in a light gray color with the hash marks less than a hair's width apart?

Do you have a suggestion to space 140 clicks farther apart without increasing the knob diameter?
Me and Euclid want to see it.

Do you have a suggestion to space 140 clicks farther apart without increasing the knob diameter?
Me and Euclid want to see it.

Do it like a Rolex, have the little magnification over the mil like the date on the watch :)

Do it like a Rolex, have the little magnification over the mil like the date on the watch :)

Well then I guess S&B and Premier need the same feature, being as their turrets have the same number of divisions and are roughly the same diameter.

What I do is use the mil and .5 mil graduations to determine if it's set at .2 or .3, it's pretty easy, even with my nearly 50 year old eyes.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TL using Tapatalk

Time for glasses?

OFG

If my memory serves me, 3-15 and 5-25 scopes delivered from factory after 1 or 2 / 2013 all have improved turret feedback. It was certainly very early 2013, if not even 12/2012.

Last edited:
Ummm..... It would be 3 instead of 2.... And then people would complain it wasn't a double turn turret. Nobody complains about the Schmidt which is the exact same design.

Last edited:
Yep--use 3 revolutions instead of 4, like Vortex.

I prefer the optics that have at least 10 mils on a turn - Most of the time, I'm never off of the first turn, and that keeps from getting lost. My vortex is my least favorite optic because of the four turns - The premier, USO, Steiner and leupold's I've owned have all been double turret, and it's much better. The Steiner's 2nd turn is second to none. I spin it just to watch the double turn indicator work.

Yep--use 3 revolutions instead of 4, like Vortex.

Clearly you have little familiarity with the Steiner as it's a double turn turret.
Steiner is competing with Premier, S&B, and Hensoldt, all of whom have double turn elevation turrets with similar amounts of travel in their flagship tactical scopes. More elevation per revolution is what the customers want; most of the customers, anyway. Like I wrote above, even with my nearly 50 year old eyes, and my vision getting progressively worse since I developed type 2 diabetes 3 years ago, I have no problem determining the position of the turret on my Steiner Military 5-25x56.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TL using Tapatalk

I can send you a list of complaints about the S&B turret marks. Go to a PRS match and listen to competitors, some have marked out every other line as suggested above. My Steiner turrets sure aren't the "exact same design" that is why I'm so upset with them.

Ummm..... It would be 3 instead of 2.... And then people would complain it wasn't a double turn turret. Nobody complains about the Schmidt which is the exact same design.

Whoops, yes I meant 3 revs instead of 2. I understand the amazingly awesome tactical-ness of having 2 revs instead of 3 (helping shave milliseconds off your dailing speed), however, from a usability standpoint it sucks. One tenth of an mrad can get you a miss at ELR. I've been a web designer for about 15 years and the first thing you learn is that you don't put gray text on a black background, the lack of contrast makes things quite difficult to read, especially shooting in overcast/low light situations.

Don't get me wrong I think that these Steiner scopes are terrific, the turrets just leave some room for improvement. In particular I think that throwing the illumination dial in the parallax housing is terrific, and the light-weight of these scopes is excellent. Just my 2 cents.

Anybody know where I can download correct version of the 5-25 MSR owners manual? Just got my new Steiner and still shipping wrong manual.

Not really a new "version" yet that I know of. Do you have a specific question?

How do you adjust EL knob down below zero stop? Right now it only dials up to 16mils and I need to come down for zero. Loosened both cap screws but it still won't go below current ZS mark. Thanks for the help.

That's the zero stop. If you need to come down to zero, tighten the screws with the knob turned 180 degrees. Zero. Loosen. Reset knob to zero. Hope this helps. PM me if you need anything.

How do you adjust EL knob down below zero stop? Right now it only dials up to 16mils and I need to come down for zero. Loosened both cap screws but it still won't go below current ZS mark. Thanks for the help.

This is what we changed/added to the user's manual.

Setting the Zero Stop

1. Zero your scope at the desired distance.
2. Using the hex wrench supplied with your scope loosen the two set screws located just below the top of the knob a half turn only.
3. Turn the knob to zero
4. Tighten the two set screws on the knob.
5. Repeat step 2-4 for the windage knob

If the Desired Zero is Below the Zero Stop Location

1. Use the hex wrench supplied with the scope
to loosen the set screws (half turn only!) on the
elevation adjustment knob located just below
the top of the knob.
2. Turn the knob in the direction of up as indicated on your elevation knob slightly more than
the number of mils needed to achieve zero. The knob should free spin without any click engagement.
3. Retighten the set screws. Adjust the elevation
down the required amount.
4. Once you have zeroed and the elevation adjustment is complete,
once again loosen the two set screws and
reset the knob to “0” and then retighten
the set screws.
Note When retightening set screws on elevation
knob, maintain slight pressure on the top of cap
to ensure proper seating of adjustment dial.

I prefer the optics that have at least 10 mils on a turn - Most of the time, I'm never off of the first turn, and that keeps from getting lost. My vortex is my least favorite optic because of the four turns - The premier, USO, Steiner and leupold's I've owned have all been double turret, and it's much better. The Steiner's 2nd turn is second to none. I spin it just to watch the double turn indicator work.

Same here. I was sitting in my office chair yesterday and popped my 5-25x56 MSR Steiner off and I bet I turned that turret 100 times just watching it go into the second turn. I really wished I could take about 3 scope manufacturers and combine all the things I like about them into one optic. It would end up being an optic no one liked though if I were to guess. lol. I still like my Steiners and just want a floating dot instead of the + in the center for the MSR and I would be perfectly happy, make it 0.02mil or somewhere close and call it a day!

Does this apply to the 3-15x50 Steiner as well...

This is what we changed/added to the user's manual.

Setting the Zero Stop

1. Zero your scope at the desired distance.
2. Using the hex wrench supplied with your scope loosen the two set screws located just below the top of the knob a half turn only.
3. Turn the knob to zero
4. Tighten the two set screws on the knob.
5. Repeat step 2-4 for the windage knob

If the Desired Zero is Below the Zero Stop Location

1. Use the hex wrench supplied with the scope
to loosen the set screws (half turn only!) on the
elevation adjustment knob located just below
the top of the knob.
2. Turn the knob in the direction of up as indicated on your elevation knob slightly more than
the number of mils needed to achieve zero. The knob should free spin without any click engagement.
3. Retighten the set screws. Adjust the elevation
down the required amount.
4. Once you have zeroed and the elevation adjustment is complete,
once again loosen the two set screws and
reset the knob to “0” and then retighten
the set screws.
Note When retightening set screws on elevation
knob, maintain slight pressure on the top of cap
to ensure proper seating of adjustment dial.

Yes it does.

Unbelievable that this has to be explained. You sir have the patience of a saint.

I personally think you have to be half F'n retarded not to be able to figure out how to set the zerostop on a Steiner turret.

BTW what diameter rings do I need for the 34mm tube? HaHa, maybe you should specify that in the owners manual as well right under "how to set the zerostop".

Unreal.

Last edited:
Unbelievable that this has to be explained. You sir have the patience of a saint.

I personally think you have to be half F'n retarded not to be able to figure out how to set the zerostop on a Steiner turret.

BTW what diameter rings do I need for the 34mm tube? HaHa, maybe you should specify that in the owners manual as well right under "how to set the zerostop".

Unreal.

Said another internet tough guy spewing BS safely from his keyboard.
You meet the bravest MOFO's on forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Said another internet tough guy spewing BS safely from his keyboard.
You meet the bravest MOFO's on forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Politically correct.... no, but true never the less. Pretty sad if you cant look at two set screws in the turret and figure out what they're there for. There was someone that posted a while back that Steiner forgot to put the screws in his turret and he could'nt reset it as a result. Two posts later he says he did not insert the allen key deep enough and all is good. Pathetic.
How many threads were started claiming something was defective with a scope when a few posts later it turns out to be operator error.
You'd have to be missing a chromosome to not be able to figure out the turrets on a Steiner 5-25 or 3-15.

Marco I think it might confuse people who followed the instructions that came with the scope, the part about pulling up on the knob if you need to go below zero. They weren't unclear but they were apparently incorrect. My zerostop stops below the zero line (double turn still works fine).