• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner MX5i 5-25x56 compared to S&B PMii 3-20x50 and Delta Javelin 4.5-30x56

Biscuits

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2020
In the market for a scope, maybe a Steiner MX5i 5-25x56.

I mentioned the S&B and the Delta in the thread title, not because these are the other options but because I already own them, so they are a point of comparison for me.

I'm in Europe. Been offered the Steiner MX5i for the equivalent of US$2440, which is about as cheap as it is likely to get here. By comparison, this is the about 20% lower than the lowest price I could buy a Razor Gen II 4.5-27. This Stiener is probably the best scope I can get in that price range from what I have read of them; OTOH I have never seen one in real life and don't know anybody who has one.

Purpose of this scope is to go on a .300 to shoot long range; 1500 metres to whatever it goes to.

Any user experience with these?

I would like the optical quality to be a bit better than my Javalin, which I find not as good as the S&B. In particular on the Javalin, the parallax/focus is not forgiving at all; it really has to be spot on. This makes it difficult to self-spot bullet trace. Another S&B is out of the question as the price has doubled since I got mine.

Have you considered the stryker? Significant step up from the javelin but still likely to be a better price point than the steiner.

I have owned a lot of scopes, had three different people blind test all of these scopes and they all agreed steiner is the best (including Hensoldt and TT). Also the warranty is killer. But everyone's eyes see scopes and light differently so I'd highly recommend looking through it yourself, you may prefer some thing else. It's all about what you like, don't listen to what other people like.

Attachments

• IMG_0961(1).jpg
    IMG_0961(1).jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 116
i have found the Steiner M series to be quite good. The PM-II S&B probably has a small edge in quality. I do not know of the Javelin. I would also throw in Kahles, Nightforce, Minox and ZCO. All of these, as a small step above the Vortex, I do belive, buy more around dependablity than quality of imagine.

I think I'll probably buy the Steiner.

The only thing still giving me doubts is the MSR2 reticle. It looks a bit busy. Last scope I bought, it was a Christmas tree and I decided that overall I like a clean reticle with only graduated crosshairs. Less clutter, easier to see bullet splash and bullet trace. I don't know what the heck I'd use the thing in the bottom left quadrant for.

msr2_reticle_15x-web.png

https://www.steiner-optics.com/sites/default/files/msr2_reticle_15x-web.png

The MSR2 has slowly become my favorite reticle.
It looks clean when focusing on your target, and I've absolutely used that little thing in the left low quadrant to measure targets, measure corrections, etc...

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
I have owned a lot of scopes, had three different people blind test all of these scopes and they all agreed steiner is the best (including Hensoldt and TT). Also the warranty is killer. But everyone's eyes see scopes and light differently so I'd highly recommend looking through it yourself, you may prefer some thing else. It's all about what you like, don't listen to what other people like.
I had a Steiner M series 5-25 and I will say that it’s an excellent scope. I personally like the SB PMII better. However when I sold mine I was going to a Xmas tree reticle and I had the MSR reticle. If I had the Xmas tree to begin with, the difference between the two wouldn’t have made me sell the Steiner and get a SB. If you can get a deal, the Steiner is a whole lot of scope for the money.

Can anyone help me out with the range of elevation adjustment on the Steiner M series?

I've read conflicting reports that it actually has some huge internal range of mechanical adjustment, but that in use it is limited by turret rotation to 26 mil. But that means if you put it on a canted rail, you will actually get 26 mil of adjustment. Or if you put it on a flat rail, you would have 26 mil. Whatever rail you put it on, you get 26 mil of useable elevation.

I've also read that it just has 26 mil of total internal adjustment, end of. If you put it on a flat rail, you only get 13 mil useable.

Anyone know which is the case?

Can anyone help me out with the range of elevation adjustment on the Steiner M series?

I've read conflicting reports that it actually has some huge internal range of mechanical adjustment, but that in use it is limited by turret rotation to 26 mil. But that means if you put it on a canted rail, you will actually get 26 mil of adjustment. Or if you put it on a flat rail, you would have 26 mil. Whatever rail you put it on, you get 26 mil of useable elevation.

I've also read that it just has 26 mil of total internal adjustment, end of. If you put it on a flat rail, you only get 13 mil useable.

Anyone know which is the case?
As far as I know you will need 40 moa worth of cant angle to get the full 26 mils . M7xi manual says 45 moa base is recommended. And it has 27 mils. My buddy has a m5xi 3-15 but he hasn’t sighted his in yet. Which has the same 26 mils

On a 20 moa rail I have 20.2 Mils of available elevation om my M5x.

Thanks, I’ll almost certainly use the Burris XTR Signature rings on a flat rail. So will be able to put 30 or 40 MoA on it.