• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner MX5i 5-25x56 MSR and Burris Customer Service - Disappointing

californiasushi

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
www.facebook.com
Short story: We bought a Steiner 5-25x56 MSR with terrible CA/purple fringing. We were told to send it in, spent $53 on shipping, and six weeks later we're getting the scope back with no work done. Tech told us every Steiner 5-25x56 MSR looks this way. We're not happy with either the scope or the customer service.

Long story:
My wife recently has had more free time so we thought it would be fun to shoot more practical rifle matches together. She had a blast at Woody's PRS match earlier this year and we got by sharing a rifle. Right after the match we decided to build her a new rifle. We did plenty of research on higher-end scopes as we thought it would be nicer for her to use something better than our Vortex Viper PST 6-24x FFP. Based entirely on reviews we on the Hide, we settled on a Steiner 5-25x56 MSR. The glass quality, the customer service/warranty, the reticle, and the value we thought we were getting were the main selling points.

Mechanically, the scope was nice. It held zero, tracked fine, the zero stop worked great. However, after two matches and plenty of time on the range, we felt the glass quality was not living up to its reputation. There was significant chromatic aberration/purple fringing. At the highest magnification levels black targets looked purple and there was heavy purple fringing coming off white paper, off white steel targets, etc. I promptly called Burris and explained our problem. They said that was not normal and that we should send in the scope so they could take a look at it. The next day, we sent the scope back at a cost of $53 in shipping/insurance.

The quoted turnaround time from Burris is 4-6 weeks for service. Our scope is due to arrive next Tuesday, exactly six weeks from when we sent it off. Not too bad, but certainly not a fast turnaround time. Our two main issues with Burris CS was that 1) the issue was not resolved and 2) it didn't seem like they were very on the ball. We have a competition coming up this Saturday so I was hoping we could get the scope back in time for zeroing and practice. Three weeks after I sent off the scope, I called and asked what the status was. The tech said that they hadn't looked at it yet, but that it looked like they would get to it next Friday. No problem, I was just a few weeks into the wait and if they're going to get to it by that next Friday, there would still be plenty of time to get the rifle zeroed and still have some time for practice. So I called the next Friday to see if we were getting it back soon and they said no, they would probably get to it next Friday. I mentioned that it's been about four weeks already since we sent off the scope and the tech said that they only had the scope checked in since May 19th for service. I also asked to pay for 2nd day return shipping so we could get have the scope back with the most time possible before the match. The tech said no problem, we'd be upgraded to 2nd day shipping for free. After the phone call I checked the tracking number for the scope and it said it was delivered to the front desk on May 12. For seven days the scope was sitting around somewhere before it was even checked in. I don't know if this is normal but it doesn't seem that great to me.

Last week we got an email from Burris saying that they looked at the scope, that it was in spec, that chromatic aberration is normal for scopes on high magnification, and that the scope would be returned shortly. If this were slight CA I wouldn't mind. Our Vortex Viper PST has slight CA. I've looked through a Bushnell DMR 3.5-21x and saw slight CA. I could live with that amount. But our scope had terrible CA. Black targets looked purple, that's how bad the CA was. The glass quality was frankly disappointing. We looked through a couple Razors, a Premier, etc and never noticed any CA on the highest magnification levels. Do any of you high-end scope owners find this level of CA acceptable? What level of CA would be acceptable to you? I wish they had told us CA was normal on our scope at least that would've saved us $53 in shipping and six weeks of our time. Not hearing anything by the end of the week, I called CS to see if I could get an ETA on when the scope would be shipped back and he said he didn't have one. I asked if there was still 2day return shipping and he said yes. With no real ETA and 5 business days left until the match I felt like I had to order a backup scope. I ordered a SWFA SS 12x with MQ reticle and it should arrive today.

Today we got a tracking number and I called Steiner to see if anything was done. The tech I spoke to said probably not. I asked if there was a fee I could pay for a replacement scope and he said no, and that even if I did it wouldn't matter. Apparently every Steiner 5-25x56 would look the same, with the same CA and everything. I don't know if that's something the tech told us so we couldn't get a replacement scope or if that's actually the case, but it definitely wasn't a reassuring thing to hear. Also, the shipping notice showed regular ground (4 days) instead of the promised 2day. Good thing I ordered the backup scope because the Steiner's due to arrive next week, after this weekend's match. It's pretty frustrating since we were largely sold on the Steiner because we thought the glass and CS would be great. In both areas the Steiner is largely disappointing. It just stings a little since this shooting sport is so expensive already that not being happy with what you buy kinda sucks. This was our first big "nice" purchase for this sport too and we can't help but feel we got a lemon considering how great everybody's experience is with Steiner scopes. Looking through a Bushnell DMR 3.5-21x, liking the glass, and then reading how their CS replaced HDMR's with poor CA makes me regret that we bought a Steiner. Every scope company puts out lemons, but there's companies out there that will own up to them and make sure the customer is happy. I don't think Steiner fits into that category. As for our scope, we're just going to have to live with it since with the new TX5i coming out and the CA there's no way we could get anywhere close to what we paid for it.

We will have the Steiner rep PM you right away to find a solution.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This is disappointing, I just sent mine to get fixed about two weeks ago. It was a turret problem ( some what my fault, I pulled off turret). Anyway, I hope they fix you up to your satisfaction.

I had the same steiner and thought it was pretty nice. At high magnification I wouldn't call CA bad at all in mine!

Some times a problem product slips out. However seeing how a company handles it really shows how a company is!!

For how expensive that optics is I would never think there CS was acceptable!!
Good luck with it and please let us know what the out come is!

I'm kind of surprised. I've had to use their CS twice and each time it was excellent. I'm more than sure the Steiner rep here will make it right.

I posted my disappointment with them on their FB page and it was removed. There are several glowing reviews on their CS on the page along with more than I expected negative reviews. Mine wasnt nasty so I dont know why it was removed. I hope your situation gets taken care of, let us know the outcome.

All scopes are individuals- anything can and has happen.

Still, ** and generally ** -it is not difficult to see interesting effects in right circumstances.
For instance, I was benchmarking high-end scopes a while ago across 500yds or so field. Scopes included were S&B 5-25, Zeiss and Hensoldt 6-24 which all are on top what comes to optical performance.
Field has big white storage hall with silver zinc plated roof. Behind building, thick dark spruce woodline.
As sun was bright and coming from back, contrast was huge between building and background.
All scopes showed significant chromatic aberration, wide rainbow colored ghost lines next to hall straight silhouette lines.

Still, ** and generally ** -it is not difficult to see interesting effects in right circumstances.
For instance, I was benchmarking high-end scopes a while ago across 500yds or so field. Scopes included were S&B 5-25, Zeiss and Hensoldt 6-24 which all are on top what comes to optical performance.
Field has big white storage hall with silver zinc plated roof. Behind building, thick dark spruce woodline.
As sun was bright and coming from back, contrast was huge between building and background.
All scopes showed significant chromatic aberration, wide rainbow colored ghost lines next to hall straight silhouette lines.

Did these scopes exhibit CA just shooting under more normal conditions though? If it took a more rare set of circumstances for CA to show up in high-end scopes I could definitely live with that. But the CA in our Steiner was apparent just shooting basically every time it was sunny, which was almost every time we shot with the scope. The CA was also quite severe as well. I compared our Steiner on max magnification back to back with our Vortex Viper PST 6-24x FFP on max magnification on numerous occasions and the Vortex demonstrated slight CA but the Steiner was considerably worse every time. Considering the price point each scope is at I thought (perhaps wrongly) that the Steiner should have significantly less CA than the Vortex and not more. I also did look through a couple other high-end scopes under similar conditions at the range at similar targets and did not notice any CA.

Also thank you all for your support and will update the thread when and if a resolution is reached.

A PM to me would have been good here but nonetheless send me one now with your contact information and I'll get it taken care of.

A PM to me would have been good here but nonetheless send me one now with your contact information and I'll get it taken care of.

Ya know, we tend to see this a lot on this website. People, if you are having a problem with a product, even if you have already reached out to a company and didn't get the response you wanted, ask who to get in touch with. Somebody on the Hide will put you in contact with the right person and they will get you taken care of. Do that FIRST, before you air the dirty laundry and jab a stick in somebody's eye. Its a bit of bad form to tell a long story that doesn't paint a manufacturer in the best light and then ask for their help. Maybe we can all learn from this? Kudos to Steiner for taking care of it.

Is it possible to show the effects of chromatic aberration in a picture? The closest I get to this is from this thread on a Zeiss scope (see post #10): http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...4-zeiss-conquest-disappointment-question.html

I have never seen anything like that on my Schmidt and Bender unless I was not fully in the eye box, but then I only notice darkening at the edges, right?

Could there be an adjustment issue at play here? Maybe the scope is not mounted correctly to the shooters eye, thus causing these aberrations to occur in the first place, regardless of the scope quality? Could eye glasses also alter the image coming into the eye.

It just seems there are a lot of questions to ask. As for the customer service aspect of this thread, not the best, but not the worst. I know the Steiner rep and he will make it right, he is a stand up guy. Hope it eventually works out and the problem is found/resolved.

I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt, and say he probably didn't know there was a steiner rep active here.

Secondly, everyone knows the only reason this works is because companies know that if negative feedback gets posted on the Hide, it WILL impact their bottom line. He tried taking it up with the company, and the CS people he was dealing with marginalized him. Clearly they weren't aware he was going to come here and tell about it. This is the world we live in, and companies would do well to realize that leaving an unhappy customer without doing everything possible within reason to remedy the situation will likely result in bad press. That bad press will cost them a lot more money than it would have to just replace the guys scope, or offer a refund, or do something other than leave him completely unhappy.

Consumers and companies need to have realistic expectations based on the facts. Marketing departments don't like this... but like it or not, that is the world we live in. If someone is expecting the worlds greatest scope, and it turns out not to be, and the company is unapologetic and paints them into a corner, that story will be told for the world to see.

Unfortunately it goes both ways. Sometimes a customer is completely inexperienced, and has no clue what they are talking about. Sometimes the company is completely greedy and foolish. If people didn't complain about their bad experiences, how would we ever identify bad companies? If good companies weren't here on the hide, they would never get to see this post, and get one last chance to fix it. Clearly the OP was "at the end of his rope" so to speak. Desperate men are dangerous men!

Looks like Steiner is on the case and I bet we see a post soon where they are making good on the reputation they've built here. ... but lets not beat up the OP. Doesn't seem like he's trying to be the bad guy.

Orkan,
Well said and what I was thinking myself. Having dealt with Greeley myself I can understand his concern and frustration.

Ya know, we tend to see this a lot on this website. People, if you are having a problem with a product, even if you have already reached out to a company and didn't get the response you wanted, ask who to get in touch with. Somebody on the Hide will put you in contact with the right person and they will get you taken care of. Do that FIRST, before you air the dirty laundry and jab a stick in somebody's eye. Its a bit of bad form to tell a long story that doesn't paint a manufacturer in the best light and then ask for their help. Maybe we can all learn from this? Kudos to Steiner for taking care of it.

I'm confused about this sentiment.
It is BECAUSE he publicly aired his disappointment that his problem is being addressed. He didn't attack the company, he put out the facts as they appear to him.
If we take him at face value, he attempted to resolve the problem with the company first. Did you expect him to just take it in the shorts with a 3000 dollar optic that he is unhappy with?
I am glad there is an active Steiner rep here on the hide, I am certain that he will make things right, even if that means the OP doesn't get the answer he wants to hear (there are two sides to every story).

If Steiner is the forward moving, stand up company that we all hope, they will address the CS response.
I still plan on buying one of their new scopes coming out, but it is nice to have both positive and negative feedback, that is, afterall, how we make an informed choice.

I'm confused about this sentiment.
It is BECAUSE he publicly aired his disappointment that his problem is being addressed. He didn't attack the company, he put out the facts as they appear to him.
If we take him at face value, he attempted to resolve the problem with the company first. Did you expect him to just take it in the shorts with a 3000 dollar optic that he is unhappy with?
I am glad there is an active Steiner rep here on the hide, I am certain that he will make things right, even if that means the OP doesn't get the answer he wants to hear (there are two sides to every story).

If Steiner is the forward moving, stand up company that we all hope, they will address the CS response.
I still plan on buying one of their new scopes coming out, but it is nice to have both positive and negative feedback, that is, afterall, how we make an informed choice.

I don't expect him to take it in the shorts, nor do I expect people to withhold negative information. I expect people to give a company a fair shake. Sometimes you talk to the wrong employee, sometimes somebody had a bad day, or its their first day. Sometimes the messages is misinterpreted either regarding the problem, the solution, or both.

If you have a problem, post that you have a problem and ask whom you should contact about it. If after the referral you still aren't happy post away. I think it bad form to call a company on the carpet from the word go, describe the product as unsatisfactory, the customer service as lacking, the staff as uncaring about your match schedule or whatever and then ask for help.

As others have said, sometimes a substandard component or product sneaks out. Sometimes things fail altogether. It happens. I've seen people lambast companies like SWFA only to have them bend over backwards to take care of the person. The Hide offers open lines of communication with a lot of top industry people. If you have a problem, or a bad experience, a simple "I have a problem with my scopes glass and I'm not getting a satisfactory response from Steiner, does anyone have a suggestion for who to talk to about it" works much better than the lengthy description of negatives.

I'm not even saying the OP was all that overly over the line, just that its another example of the trend... Call a company out, all kinds of problems with this that and the other, and its always followed up with a "call me and we will make it right"

I don't think that's fair. Give them a chance to make it right BEFORE you call anybody out. I realize he had called on the phone but I'd already have an eyebrow cocked calling Burris about a Steiner product. They share facilities but are different entities. What did it take? A sponsored shooter had a Steiner rep on the case almost immediately and the response was it will be taken care of.

Don't forget your own point, there are two sides to every story and its not beyond people to try and bone a company. Steiner warranties products for life, do you know they have to mark stuff that comes in for warranty and replacement because they have caught guys sending in 'dads scope' for replacement, asking for the old one back for nostalgia, then sending the same scope in for replacement again?

These things you've described are problems for the company to deal with... not the consumer. Were it my company, I'd want to know about it so I could fix it, regardless of the delivery method.

I'm not suggesting the consumer fix the problem, I'm suggesting that one interaction with one person is not necessarily indicative of the company as a whole. I'm also suggesting reaching out to the representatives here before deciding how bad you've been treated.

I'm not suggesting the consumer fix the problem, I'm suggesting that one interaction with one person is not necessarily indicative of the company as a whole. I'm also suggesting reaching out to the representatives here before deciding how bad you've been treated.
Maybe it is indicative as the company as a whole... maybe it's not. How is he to know? Why are you assuming he knew they had reps here? We know they do, as we've seen them post. I'm betting he didn't, what with his 20 posts here. Even if he did, it's not his responsibility to fix the situation. Good companies know this, and good companies don't mind when or how they hear of their customers displeasure. It's an opportunity!

Maybe I'm just a little too conservative on how I run my businesses... but if someone in my outfit is mistreating customers, I consider myself LUCKY and thankful if I ever find out about it, no matter how I find out, so I can fix it. It for sure doesn't fall to the customer to have some kind of noble sense of loyalty to my company to continue trying to work with me against all adversity after the "customer service" department of my company (the ones who's whole job it is to make sure this type of thread doesn't happen) failed to resolve the situation.

This is how good companies stay good. I fail to see the problem. I bet if he was lambasting tacticalrifles.net, people wouldn't be coming to their defense! All I'm saying is that negative feedback has every bit as much value to all parties as positive feedback. It's pretty easy to find positive testimonials, but what really creates loyal customers is how a massive screw-up is handled. If Steiner sees this as an opportunity, as I do, then they will win a customer for life, and likely many more as a result of the content in this thread. Now they know they've got an unhappy camper, and how they handle it is entirely up to them.

Pointing the finger at the "naughty" customer for yelping out loud when he's feeling pinched isn't the route they want to take, I wouldn't think. :)

Maybe I'm just a little too conservative on how I run my businesses... but if someone in my outfit is mistreating customers, I consider myself LUCKY and thankful if I ever find out about it, no matter how I find out, so I can fix it. It for sure doesn't fall to the customer to have some kind of noble sense of loyalty to my company to continue trying to work with me against all adversity after the "customer service" department of my company (the ones who's whole job it is to make sure this type of thread doesn't happen) failed to resolve the situation.

This is one element of how you run a successful business. You still have to decide whether the customer is being reasonable or not, but if you don't know about an issue, you may just sit and wonder why you have fewer customers than you once did.

And customer service reps don't always deliver the same quality of service day in, day out. A good guy might have a bad day, whether from attitude or just missing something. People have lives outside of work and get distracted. A few people are good at sucking up to the boss but treat customers like _. As management you need to know, and the main way you find out is from customers whose experience was so good, or so bad, that they went outside the normal channel to try and reach management.

OP: good luck, I have no criticism of your approach. I will be curious to read more about the optical quality. I have noticed that people who have expensive photo hobbies or other experience with high-end camera lenses are often disappointed with rifle scopes, and as I noted in another thread I've found that obtaining a certain level of optical quality in a rifle scope often requires spending 4 to 10 times as much as getting that quality in other optics like binoculars or spotting scopes. But what you describe on this particular scope sounds outside of expectations.

If you have a problem, or a bad experience, a simple "I have a problem with my scopes glass and I'm not getting a satisfactory response from Steiner, does anyone have a suggestion for who to talk to about it" works much better than the lengthy description of negatives.

Yes and he would have gotten a reply from a representative but he would have also received a hail storm of questions from SH members wanting to know the issues. I don't feel that the OP was out of hand, bashing or not giving the company a fair shake. If indeed he were bashing and handling it in a unruly way, there would be a lot of replies hammering the OP, but there is not. He is simply a unsatisfied customer that attempted to go through the correct channels with CS but got no where, and even had his post deleted on their Facebook page.

When I'm looking for a product to purchase on AMAZON, EBAY and the majority of the internet these days I and others use reviews posted to help make decisions. Though reviews are not always truthful it should be up to me to find a pattern within the reviews to help me decide. When a company asks not to air a customers experience because it was negative makes me feel that company has something to hide. I don't hear companies asking customers not to share their positive experiences so why shouldn't they share the bad ones. I've only heard good things about Steiner and have been happy with the scope I owned in the year I owned it. I find it weird as I'm sure others have to hear this man's experience with Steiner and would love to hear the outcome.

Last edited:
I'm going to finish my contributions to this page with this post because its getting off track and apparently my views are among the minority so I won't force you to engage them further. I never said the OP was bashing, or that he was out of line. I said he's following a pattern. A pattern that's getting way too common, in my opinion, and its one I happen not to agree with. I don't have a dog in the fight. I don't work for Steiner, I'm not sponsored by Steiner, I don't even own any Steiner products. I have talked to some of their employees and they were nice enough to show me around and how they do things, so that I might help impart that upon others, I assume. I suspect this is the problem for me, his own experiences are in such contrast to my own, I wonder about their side of the argument. I notice that rather than throw stones, if there are any to be thrown, they are just handling the problem. That's the high road. We should all attempt to do the same.

I've had less than great experiences with a few products over the years. Some have lost my business, some have kept it, some may regain it in time, some have lost it forever. Regardless, my first instinct, despite my troubles with a minority of manufacturers, is not to jump on here and post all about it. You don't have to agree with that either. I prefer to focus time and energy on good products and worthy service. If there's a trend of problems many are having and a member poses the question if its happened to someone else, I'll reply, but I don't just hop on the internet and use it as a soap box every time something doesn't work out the way I want it to. I'm not saying the OP did that, but its part of the trend. I've seen people complain about SWFA, GAP, I wish I could think of a few others off the top of my head. Companies with stellar reputations for quality and customer service. If you want to do the soap box thing, that's fine, that's the nice thing about not living in a dictatorship driven country, we're free to disagree.

Yes and he would have gotten a reply from a representative but he would have also received a hail storm of questions from SH members wanting to know the issues. I don't feel that the OP was out of hand, bashing or not giving the company a fair shake. If indeed he were bashing and handling it in a unruly way, there would be a lot of replies hammering the OP, but there is not. He is simply a unsatisfied customer that attempted to go through the correct channels with CS but got no where, and even had his post deleted on their Facebook page.

Here's how you handle that, "I'll report back when it's resolved, either way." If they take care of you, say they did, if they don't, hold their feet to the fire.

I don't hear companies asking customers not to share their positive experiences so why shouldn't they share the bad ones.
I always forget that we live in the "every kid gets a trophy" time right now. Everyone is a winner, no one is a loser. People look at negative feedback as a bad thing, when it truly is the only way to improve products, people, and companies.

What if there really is nothing wrong with this scope? Different lighting, different eyes = different conclusions.

I always forget that we live in the "every kid gets a trophy" time right now. Everyone is a winner, no one is a loser. People look at negative feedback as a bad thing, when it truly is the only way to improve products, people, and companies.

It's normal for things to break or for something to go wrong, no one and nothing is perfect or indestructible. That being said, It truly is an opportunity for a company to shine when something like this happens. Steiner has been going in the direction the market has been asking for years. When others are raising their prices, some as much as double while cutting their warranties in half Steiner has managed to lower prices, continue to produce innovative, state of the art optics with lifetime warranties and now being built right here in the US. I will give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong. Hopefully they never do.

Last edited:
What if there really is nothing wrong with this scope? Different lighting, different eyes = different conclusions.

Then more the reason for Steiner to be as transparent as possible. Lets' say..........Steiner examines the scope and reexamines it and finds there's nothing wrong with it, they should be able to defend themselves if the OP does not agree. I doubt it will go there but if it does, as a future consumer you want a reason to why the OP is not getting his scope repaired or replaced. And people want to feel reassured the reason is not "Just Because".

Last edited:
I thought it might just be an issue with my wife and me so I asked another competitor at a match a couple months ago to see if he noticed the CA, which he did. I won't 100% rule out user error, but I did try to see that it wasn't just us. Whenever I noticed that the CA in the Steiner was particularly bad I would try to immediately get on the Vortex to see if it was more the conditions or the scope, and the CA was always much more apparent in the Steiner. Also, I honestly didn't know that PM'ing the Steiner representative was something we could have or even should have done. I'll definitely keep that in mind in the future. Thank you all for your help, I have learned a lot in this thread.

Maybe it is indicative as the company as a whole... maybe it's not. How is he to know? Why are you assuming he knew they had reps here? We know they do, as we've seen them post. I'm betting he didn't, what with his 20 posts here. Even if he did, it's not his responsibility to fix the situation. Good companies know this, and good companies don't mind when or how they hear of their customers displeasure. It's an opportunity!

This is how good companies stay good. I fail to see the problem. I bet if he was lambasting tacticalrifles.net, people wouldn't be coming to their defense! All I'm saying is that negative feedback has every bit as much value to all parties as positive feedback. It's pretty easy to find positive testimonials, but what really creates loyal customers is how a massive screw-up is handled. If Steiner sees this as an opportunity, as I do, then they will win a customer for life, and likely many more as a result of the content in this thread. Now they know they've got an unhappy camper, and how they handle it is entirely up to them.

Pointing the finger at the "naughty" customer for yelping out loud when he's feeling pinched isn't the route they want to take, I wouldn't think. :)

As someone who works in the retail industry and deals with CS issues on a regular basis this is how I feel in a nutshell. The OP isn't wrong for voicing his concerns here, in the fashion that he did. He likely did not know there were Steiner reps actively posting on the forum. 80% of the time the only way I find out my employees are not performing well is when I hear about it from our customers, and I welcome their feedback.

Then more the reason for Steiner to be as transparent as possible. Lets' say..........Steiner examines the scope and reexamines it and finds there's nothing wrong with it, they should be able to defend themselves if the OP does not agree...

Steiner/Burris already did examine the scope and conclude nothing was wrong with it. Now everyone is flaming them for their poor service. How do you fix something that isn't broken? The only way the OP would even be able to conclude something is wrong with it is if the happened to have the exact same model there to compare it to. If you have three Steiners and two are great, and one seems off, then you could conclude the scope is defective. Comparing it to a different brand doesn't mean shit.

Steiner/Burris already did examine the scope and conclude nothing was wrong with it. Now everyone is flaming them for their poor service. How do you fix something that isn't broken? The only way the OP would even be able to conclude something is wrong with it is if the happened to have the exact same model there to compare it to. If you have three Steiners and two are great, and one seems off, then you could conclude the scope is defective. Comparing it to a different brand doesn't mean shit.

For the two(OP vs. Steiner CS) to have such different views with one saying there's a definite problem and the other saying there's no problem at all this needed to go deeper, and it has. In this thread many have shared their theories from operator issues to CS issues. The reps here will look into it deeper and I'm sure an honest assessment will be determined. Until there's a final conclusion there's no point on blaming anyone for anything right now since so far Steiner has offered to take care of it. I'm sure if the Steiner rep notices the same problem the OP has then the real problem is not repairing or replacing the scope it's why wasn't it done in the first place which then becomes an internal issue for Steiner. If the reps don't see what the OP sees then they will ask why is he seeing this. Even then I'm sure their goal will be to make the OP a happy customer. Right now it's too early to make speculations, we'll just have to wait and see.

Yes indeed. If the only problem with the scope is glass quality... it certainly won't be an easy thing to deal with. Glass quality is so perceptual, and everyone seems to like something a little different.

Now everyone is flaming them for their poor service.

No one flamed Steiner for their service. posters started flaming the OP for expressing his disappointment with the service he received and was basically told to never say anything negative without first contacting someone that he didn't know about through a medium that he wasn't aware that was available to him and begging them to look into your problem, even though they have had multiple conversations with CS and gave them more than enough chances to address the problem.

CA is the new black it seems. A lot of the high-end scopes suffer from this, even though claims of having ED or HD glass. At these price points I would also expect the manufacturers to look past horus reticles, MTC dials and other gadgets to sell a high-end scope. Not many people seem to mind CA on a $3000-4000 scope.

I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt, and say he probably didn't know there was a steiner rep active here.

Secondly, everyone knows the only reason this works is because companies know that if negative feedback gets posted on the Hide, it WILL impact their bottom line. He tried taking it up with the company, and the CS people he was dealing with marginalized him. Clearly they weren't aware he was going to come here and tell about it. This is the world we live in, and companies would do well to realize that leaving an unhappy customer without doing everything possible within reason to remedy the situation will likely result in bad press. That bad press will cost them a lot more money than it would have to just replace the guys scope, or offer a refund, or do something other than leave him completely unhappy.

Consumers and companies need to have realistic expectations based on the facts. Marketing departments don't like this... but like it or not, that is the world we live in. If someone is expecting the worlds greatest scope, and it turns out not to be, and the company is unapologetic and paints them into a corner, that story will be told for the world to see.

Unfortunately it goes both ways. Sometimes a customer is completely inexperienced, and has no clue what they are talking about. Sometimes the company is completely greedy and foolish. If people didn't complain about their bad experiences, how would we ever identify bad companies? If good companies weren't here on the hide, they would never get to see this post, and get one last chance to fix it. Clearly the OP was "at the end of his rope" so to speak. Desperate men are dangerous men!

Looks like Steiner is on the case and I bet we see a post soon where they are making good on the reputation they've built here. ... but lets not beat up the OP. Doesn't seem like he's trying to be the bad guy.

That is how I fell about this also. Everyone and every Company will eventually drop the ball no matter who they are or how reputable they are. It comes down to how it get's handled in the end and hopefully they (whoever) learn from it and do everything to not allow it to happen again by making the nessary corrections.

When your at this level there should be no reason to leave an unhappy customer hanging so hopefully the OP gets things corrected and Steiner addresses the CS issue if in-fact CS dropped the ball. I for one feel that it's understandable to have something go wrong with a product so-long as they correct it in a timely manner (for me) it shows they value their reputation and customers.

I will be watching this for the outcome.

I was watching this as well bc I have been looking at one for a rem 700 build. Looks like OP decided to sell the scope, not sure what the outcome from cs was. See it listed here and on other forums.

Sorry for not updating, but there has been nothing to report. Immediately after I saw the Steiner rep's post to PM him with our contact info, I did. I did not hear back. After our scope arrived, I PM'd him again and I did not hear back again. After about a week of waiting after the second PM I decided to list the scope for sale. I thought that since it would take a while to sell the scope, maybe in the mean time I would hear back from Steiner and get the scope situation resolved. However, I PM'd the rep a third time this past weekend and have not heard back yet again. I'm not holding my breath. I've tried to remain patient, fair, and positive during this whole ordeal only to be let down at pretty much very step in the process. I'm really puzzled by the people gushing over Steiner's CS considering how difficult it appears to be to even get in contact with them. There's literally nothing left we can do except keep a scope we're not really too happy with or take a huge beating on a rather expensive scope. Neither option is very attractive but it is what it is. At this point I certainly can't recommend a Steiner for either the scope quality or the customer service. And I certainly won't be buying anymore Steiner/Burris products in the future. If you're interested in buying a Steiner, it might be worth taking a look at Steiner Optic's Facebook page as there are a few dissatisfied customers posting on there as well. I wish I had before we bought one.

Last edited:
This is a shame to hear. As someone who hopped on the T5Xi hype train and preordered this story doesn't fill me with confidence.

Wow, your'e right about the FB claims. As one FB member asked, "Is it communication breakdown or simply they just don't give a crap?". Would still be nice if you can take a pic of those purple colors you're mentioning. Still hoping this gets worked out for you. Funny thing is that Vortex 4.5-27 is starting to get delivered and getting a lot of positive feedback from LowLight. Had high hopes for this Steiner deal.

I had a Steiner Military 5-25x56, and at times I noticed CA, and at other times it was not there.
I discovered that although the scope has a very large eyebox, straying from the center of the eyebox resulted in CA.

After that discovery I don't remember CA being a problem. I'm not saying it was never present, but I was too busy shooting to notice if it was.

Damage control to aisle SO, stat!

Seriously, it's one thing if Steiner says "we looked at that scope three times and it's in spec, the buyer has unrealistic expectations or user error" but to not even reply to his contacts after this whole thing, not a good sign.

I discovered that although the scope has a very large eyebox, straying from the center of the eyebox resulted in CA.

I have found this with several scopes, especially ones with 5x or 6x zoom ratios. I find it much more obvious and hard to avoid when holding an unmounted scope than when using a scope mounted on a rifle.

Found this from an older thread SakoMan was reviewing the Steiner Military. Very interesting.

Re: Steiner 5x25 MSR VS. S&B 5x25 P4F comparo
Originally Posted By: UncleBenji
Originally Posted By: Huber Tuber

There was no chromatic aberration what so ever and the glass tends to be on the neutral to cool side.
[/b]

Thanks for your input on the scope! However, I recommend taking the scope and looking at a pure white wall. I believe that you'll see a generous amount of yellowing on the edge, or chromatic aberration. I've seen it on ever Steiner 5-25, and I've owned one and looked through about 7. It's hard to tell outside because you're brain isn't looking for it. But against a white surface you'll likely see what I'm talking about.

However, all-in-all I still think this scope to be of top quality and a great alternative to S&B. Money aside, I still prefer the S&B!!

Good luck!

Interesting. So I did that experiment on two separate white walls in my house. Of course as they are white they reflect the ambient light conditions so they are not perfectly white but close. That said through the entire range of magnification I did not see any yellow or other colors for that matter?

I wonder if there is any way to tell if the Steiner glass is apochromatic/fluorite treated? I don't see anything on the web site.

I have looked through a Henslolt and that is by far the most amazing glass I have seen. There is world class like S&B, Premier, Steiner, etc... and then there is Zeiss Hensholt - alien technology.

Funny but the best piece of glass I own is actually my Swaro LR

Sorry for not updating, but there has been nothing to report. Immediately after I saw the Steiner rep's post to PM him with our contact info, I did. I did not hear back. After our scope arrived, I PM'd him again and I did not hear back again. After about a week of waiting after the second PM I decided to list the scope for sale. I thought that since it would take a while to sell the scope, maybe in the mean time I would hear back from Steiner and get the scope situation resolved. However, I PM'd the rep a third time this past weekend and have not heard back yet again. I'm not holding my breath. I've tried to remain patient, fair, and positive during this whole ordeal only to be let down at pretty much very step in the process. I'm really puzzled by the people gushing over Steiner's CS considering how difficult it appears to be to even get in contact with them. There's literally nothing left we can do except keep a scope we're not really too happy with or take a huge beating on a rather expensive scope. Neither option is very attractive but it is what it is. At this point I certainly can't recommend a Steiner for either the scope quality or the customer service. And I certainly won't be buying anymore Steiner/Burris products in the future. If you're interested in buying a Steiner, it might be worth taking a look at Steiner Optic's Facebook page as there are a few dissatisfied customers posting on there as well. I wish I had before we bought one.
That is quite troubling.

I think i have owned all of the top scopes and they exhibit CA up top. My current hensoldt is fairly notable for it.

I would like 0 CA, but I also understand that a scope manufacturer absolutely has to ensure that the reticle subtensions are perfect at distance. This can limit lens positioning to a sub-optimal spot and configuration for totally nixing CA.

If you look at lens reviews of 300mm-500mm lenses (10+x) you will see that CA is a very very common even amongst the best glass like Zeiss and Canon L.

I think i have owned all of the top scopes and they exhibit CA up top. My current hensoldt is fairly notable for it.

I would like 0 CA, but I also understand that a scope manufacturer absolutely has to ensure that the reticle subtensions are perfect at distance. This can limit lens positioning to a sub-optimal spot and configuration for totally nixing CA.

If you look at lens reviews of 300mm-500mm lenses (10+x) you will see that CA is a very very common even amongst the best glass like Zeiss and Canon L.

I have tried and succeeded to create CA on any given scope. The OP seems to be claiming more than that. "At the highest magnification levels black targets looked purple and there was heavy purple fringing coming off white paper, off white steel targets, etc."

It all comes down to how severe it is. A defect in the AR coatings can cause this, as can several other defects. Whatever the case, the concern lies more to why the rep hasn't responded after asking to be contacted. It would be nice for the OP to try to take pictures of the CA and post them here. If his intention is to warn us about a legitimate claim I believe it should go beyond benefit of the doubt especially if it involves a claim that can vary in severity depending on who is looking through the scope. Granted a picture cannot replace actually looking through but severe CA can be captured.

LOCOBEAR is right, our issue was not that there's any CA, but that the CA present was substantial. You guys are right, I should have taken pictures of it before we sent the scope off. When I started the thread, I didn't have the actual scope in hand (it was still at Burris) so I thought a description would suffice. But pictures would have been better. I haven't taken any either since the scope has come back because it's been boxed up (except to take pictures of the outside of the scope for the ad listing) in case Steiner wanted me to send it back or somebody bought it on the classifieds. I did hear back from a person at Burris today though and there might be a resolution forthcoming. I will definitely keep this thread updated.

Well the Steiner Rep on here not responding to you after posting for you to do so is just plain wrong. Not a good sign at all IMO. I think I will pass on wanting one until I can see it first hand and they straighten out this CS issue.
I have my dad's Military binoc's and wanted them to look at them and asked the Rep for assistance and while I did get a reply from him I will hold off sending them in until I see something from him on this issue 1st. I think the OP deserves an answer.

I was considering the Steiner M5Xi 5-25 at one time. After a few messages & a week of waiting I finally received a call back from a rep. Too late. I talked at a Vortex rep & I ordered a new RAZOR HD Gen II. The Vortex rep was very helpful. If I have to wait a week to spend that much money, what kind of service will I receive if / when I need CS for something else? No thanks.

I would like to know why the Steiner rep that posted in this thread earlier has not responded again. I cannot freaking believe he has not responded to PMs or at least in the thread again. This is not good.
I am about a week out from pulling the trigger on a 3-15 w MSR but am really thinking twice about that now.

Last edited: