• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner Optics Factory / The new T5Xi thread (-!!-Picture Heavy-!!-)

COLOSHOOTR

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2010
Colorado
First off, A HUGE thank you to Martin with Steiner Optics for taking the time to show us around and allow us to check everything out. Any questions about the should be posted in the original thread and can be answered by RJ or Steiner Optics. That being said I will tell you that you really should not need to ask any questions because can tell you this scope is solid, and is very well thought out. The T5Xi is a scope that was born here in Colorado by Martin and the crew at Steiner as well as from real world shooter input from shooters like team Steiner (a big thanks to all of you that were involved for putting all those ideas together and coming up with a great scope for a great price). After seeing everything and getting a hands on with the product I must say this is definitely is a must buy scope for those of you looking for a quality well priced optic!!! I for one will be picking up one, well maybe two, for sure!

Not only was the T5Xi designed right here in the good ol' USA but it is also being produced right here in Colorado. I'm sorry to any of you from the other thread claiming to have the inside scoop but they are not made in China, Japan or the Philippines. I got to see the factory with my own two eyes and unless I was magically transported overseas during my short drive and everyone there somehow spoke perfect English with no accents we were still in Colorado.

So now to the good stuff... Since many of you don't have the time or ability to make this trip I took pictures and got their permission to share them with you.

Here are your scopes... Seriously if you get one yours may be right here on this rack:

Then they are machined down to this:

Then come all the small parts like the turrets and internals all machined in house:

The parts are then cleaned up/anodized and engraved then off to the clean room for assembly where everyone dons special shirts, booties on their shoes and hair nets before going inside. The quality control is top notch and each scope is hand assembled and inspected by a live person. They really do try their best to keep everything darn near perfect!

Then all scopes are nitrogen purged 24 times and are sealed up tight. They even get dunked to make sure there are no leaks.

Each scope is then tested for function and return to zero.

The employees here subject the scopes to some serious punishment and test to be sure the scope tracks and maintains zero. I wish I had a video of it but they pretty much subject it to use as a hammer and even stress test them in a press till they bend/break. All to make sure we get the best most reliable scope possible!

Then we have our final product (Still in preproduction but expect them to hit shelves in October):

Sorry about the picture best I could do on the fly especially with the reticle. The reticle is awesome and it's seriously even better in person! The glass is extremely clear with no visible distortion though the entire power range. There is also zero tunneling at low power. The clicks are very solid and tactile and the turret design is awesome with the indicator turning at 11 to shot 12-23 mil numbers. There will never ever be any confusion to what you are dialed on and there are not any additional numbers to confuse you.

The team at Steiner came up with an excellent scope and are offering it at a great price point. Anyone in the market for a quality optic with an awesome reticle should check out the T5Xi from Steiner.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Steiner Optics in any way. I am not sponsored and have not/do not receive any items or discounts from Steiner. I am just a customer and end user nothing else! All of the praise for Steiner comes from seeing quality optic put together by good people here in the USA.

Thanks for the pictures! I'm jealous that you got the tour and happy to see the product.

Steiner and Martin are great about giving tours. I got one last fall, as have others on here. If you're in the area, stop by and say hello...you won't be disappointed. Thanks Steiner!

Steiner 5-25x56 M5Xi Military 34mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - STE5525
Matte
Illuminated G2B Mil-Dot
34mm
Side Focus
Broadband Anti-Reflection Coatings
Optimized Exterior Design
Optimized Tube and Knob Configuration
Precise Windage/Elevation Adjustment
Waterproof
Fogproof
Shockproof
First Focal Plane
$3,149.99............... What's the difference between the scope were all waiting for and this one at SWFA web site ?

The scope caps are Tenebraex I believe and they are included as well as a sun shade.

The glass is still German glass. It is still a Steiner after all.

That one is the current MX5i made in Germany. The turrets are different and the reticles are different to start. Also, the price... Part of the savings is the fact the T5Xi is made in the USA so no exchange rate costs, shipping costs or import taxes.

See the original T5Xi thread for further details from Steiner Optics himself.

Last edited:
Are there going to be other power offerings besides the 3-15? Like a 4-20 or 5-25?
Is this the same glass as the M5Xi line?
And what is retail cost on the new scope going to be? Ballpark. $3500 like the M5Xi?

This is a sweet looking, and great featured scope from what I see here. Love the dial settings showing when you go over a full rotation. Genius.

Never mind, just looked at the original thread you showed and answered all my questions. I see a Steiner in my future.

Last edited:
Are there going to be other power offerings besides the 3-15? Like a 4-20 or 5-25?
And what is retail cost on the new scope going to be? Ballpark. $3500 like the M5Xi?

This is a sweet looking, and great featured scope from what I see here. Love the dial settings showing when you go over a full rotation. Genius.
Price is in the area of 2K . Its so tempting .

3-15 and 5-25 will be offered details posted by Steiner in other thead. $1999 retail per Steiner on 5-25.

Check out further specifics in the TX5i thread here http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...2-new-steiner-t5xi-tactical-rifle-scopes.html

But yes there is a 5-25 and they will be MUCH cheaper estimated around $1999 because as mentioned above they are made in the USA and not imported.

Thanks for the walk through certainly interesting

And the hash marks on the turret line up with the indicator line. Impressive.

Thanks for the pics and write up!!

Ordering mine in November.

I won't be the first kid on the block to get one, but I'll have it in time for wolf hunting in December and January.

There you go! Hell of a deal for the price. Did'nt see any CA through the scope looking at the side of the building. A winner for sure and may force a few other manufacturers to rethink their pricing, but hard to compete, since these are made here. NICE!!! I hope a bundle of them show up soon and the company is able to be profitable and grow. Win win for everyone involved. :cool:

See whining does pay off sometime...

The company is Steiner/Burris. Same parent company.... You send in your Burris scope and it makes its way to the same spot for repair.

The employees here subject the scopes to some serious punishment and test to be sure the scope tracks and maintains zero. I wish I had a video of it but they pretty much subject it to use as a hammer and even stress test them in a press till they bend/break. All to make sure we get the best most reliable scope possible!

Then we have our final product (Still in preproduction but expect them to hit shelves in October):

Sorry about the picture best I could do on the fly especially with the reticle. The reticle is awesome and it's seriously even better in person! The glass is extremely clear with no visible distortion though the entire power range. There is also zero tunneling at low power. The clicks are very solid and tactile and the turret design is awesome with the indicator turning at 11 to shot 12-23 mil numbers. There will never ever be any confusion to what you are dialed on and there are not any additional numbers to confuse you.

The team at Steiner came up with an excellent scope and are offering it at a great price point. Anyone in the market for a quality optic with an awesome reticle should check out the T5Xi from Steiner.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Steiner Optics in any way. I am not sponsored and have not/do not receive any items or discounts from Steiner. I am just a customer and end user nothing else! All of the praise for Steiner comes from seeing quality optic put together by good people here in the USA.

The bald guy in the picture is one of my best friends.

The numbers not centered in the windows. Is that because they are about to switch over to the next higher scale?

10-4.

Can the great OP, who brought peace to the optics section of SH, give more detail about the torture test?

10-4.

Can the great OP, who brought peace to the optics section of SH, give more detail about the torture test?

I once worked for Burris. What the OP means is: grab the scope like you would drive a nail with it, then slam the objective down onto a hard rubber block (think hockey puck hard), and put it back on the stand and check for POI change. Then roll the scope 90 degrees and do it again, until you have rolled the scope all the way around. They also have a device they nicknamed "the terminator", that drops the scope objective lens up or down at roughly 1000 G's, depending on how far the scope has been dropped. This simulates a firing cycle.

What about the press thingy that tries to bend the scope?

Conan the Destroyer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krSGkna8DA0

I once worked for Burris. What the OP means is: grab the scope like you would drive a nail with it, then slam the objective down onto a hard rubber block (think hockey puck hard), and put it back on the stand and check for POI change. Then roll the scope 90 degrees and do it again, until you have rolled the scope all the way around. They also have a device they nicknamed "the terminator", that drops the scope objective lens up or down at roughly 1000 G's, depending on how far the scope has been dropped. This simulates a firing cycle.

I cringed when I saw them do that. Its like watching somebody get kicked in the nuts, you just go ''oooooh no!" but it certainly gives you a feel for the lengths they go to in order to ensure durability.

"Conan" isn't even the most powerful one. There is another one that drops the scope in rings attached to some very heavy weights. I've seen it absolutely disassemble scopes... Forcefully.

I think the tool used to bend scope tubes is a big arbor press with a scale on it to measure the force before the tube bends or breaks.

Yeah, that's it. Tell us more about it.

The video is from the tour I took. They just let that thing run and run, recoil simulation. After it reaches so many cycles without breaking they will just shut it off. Sometimes they let it run until the scope fails, if it all, and how long it takes to get there.

Yeah, that's definitely part of it.

I was with Coloshooter for the tour yesterday (I'm the "hand model" in some of those photos — ain't I sexy?). Anyway, we witnessed some of the torture testing you described. While it may not be as entertaining as watching someone throw a scope across an open field (like we so often see on the Interweb), I can definitely say that I cringed at the idea of doing such a test with one of my scopes, and it's probably an even more legitimate test of the scope's integrity than many of the "tests" we see online. Steiner is thoroughly testing all of their scopes. Every scope is rigorously examined and tested, unlike many of the lower priced brands (in which samples are pulled and tested).

Now, I won't claim that I have a spec sheet for exactly which "torture tests" are run on the scopes, but the good folks at Steiner were definitely kind enough to demonstrate some of the techniques. For example, in testing that a scope holds zero position, a function test is conducted that is pretty much as you described. I watched the process take place like this:

1) The scope is placed in a fixed mount, and a target is viewed at a significant distance. The reticle position is noted at the start of this test.
2) The scope is removed from the mount, then struck upon a hard surface (as if you are using a hammer) from a number of different angles, simulating a hit from virtually any direction the scope might be hit.
3) The scope is placed back in the testing mount, and the target is viewed again to ensure that the reticle position has not moved.

Suffice it to say, they're pretty confident in the build of these scopes! I'd have never dreamed of trying a stunt like this with one of my high priced optics, but this is a routine testing technique for the folks at Steiner!

Personally, I think the new T5Xi optic represents a whole lot of things that so many of us have been seeking for a VERY long time:

1) American designed and built
2) German Glass
3) An awesome reticle
4) A compact and low profile package that doesn't sacrifice features we all like
5) A very good price-point for a scope of this caliber

One of the features I found most interesting was the innovative method Steiner used to indicate that the scope was on its second turn of the elevation turret. As you all know, scope manufacturers have employed a variety of unique methods of indicating the second turn on a scope, so that you don't accidentally dial for a much further (or shorter) distance shot than you intended. My favorite system in the past was the one that Schmidt and Bender uses on my 3-20x scope. On that scope the turret has a "cap" that pops up when you reach the second revolution. Steiner went in a totally new direction with this scope, and I think their design will prove just as robust, and even easier to understand. On the T5Xi scope the second revolution of the elevation turret is indicated by a change in the turret numbers that are displayed. If you reference the picture of the elevation turret at the beginning of this thread you'll notice that the numbers are contained within a window… as you turn the scope to the second revolution these numbers "flip" to show the numbers that you would expect to see while dialed on the second revolution. As such, there's absolutely no way to look at the scope and mistake what you've dialed for something else (if you're on 13 mils you will only see 13, not 1 — if I'm remembering the change point correctly — nevertheless, you get the idea). Very neat!

Anyway, I'm going to look through my photos here in a bit, and see if I can add anything to this thread that COLOSHOOTER has not.

The numbers not centered in the windows. Is that because they are about to switch over to the next higher scale?

Yes. I had it dialed right about the point it starts to turn and that is why the numbers are off center in that particular picture. They normally are very well centered and are very easy to see.

The press is a large arbor press and they intentionally bend and break them. I don't know the details behind it but they did have a bin of bent scopes. A lot of companies in a lot of different industries, including non firearm related businesses, test their products to their failure point so it's no surprise but is interesting nonetheless.

How did they test the durability of the turrets and the powe zoom mechanism?

I believe they launch them up into space testing the ability of the scope to handle extreme g forces. Then vacuum of space allows them to test the seal and make sure you dont get fogging or condensation inside. Then reentry tests the durability of the entire scope including the turrets and power zoom. Just kidding..... I don't know and I am not privy to all the testing they put them through. The beating I did witness is more than 99% of us would ever put our scope through so I'm still impressed.

Last edited:
Personally, I think the new T5Xi optic represents a whole lot of things that so many of us have been seeking for a VERY long time:

2) German Glass
3) An awesome reticle
4) A compact and low profile package that doesn't sacrifice features we all like
This is all great stuff,for a great price. So what could a marksmen do with a S&B scope that he couldn't do with this ? Is it just some additional Bells and Whistles ? Reticle differences be a reason to spend 2x more ?

Last edited:

2) German Glass
3) An awesome reticle
This is all great stuff,for a great price. So what could a marksmen do with a S&B scope that he couldn't do with this ? Is it just some additional Bells and Whistles ? Reticle differences be a reason to spend 2x more ?

Good question..... He can go out and brag he has a Schmidt & Bender scope.

Yes there will be additional features and reticle offerings on the S&B as well as the Steiner M5Xi and other high priced optics. Functionally they will all accomplish the same task equally well. It just depends on what features you want or need to have.

When can we expect the scope in Europe? And how will it affect the cost here that it is manufactured in US?

I'm afraid it will not be the bargain it seems to be, because it will fall in the same price range as Viper Razer HD, Nightforce F1 NSX, Kahles etc.

2) German Glass
3) An awesome reticle

Well, if you ask ten shooters this question, you'll probably get ten different answers. I currently own and use a Schmidt and Bender scope, and I've been thinking of adding the new Steiner to my collection for a .308 Win rifle that I've been thinking of fielding in some competitions. Here's my take on answering your question:

1) Schmidt and Bender has absolutely phenomenally clear glass. It's always placed either at, or very close to the top of the heap when it comes to optical clarity. But, there's an issue of diminishing returns when you get to optics of this level. The glass is super clear on the S&B, but you pay a lot more to get a little more clarity at that level. Is it worth it? I think that's an issue for the end user to decide. But, Steiner glass is still pretty F-ing good, and I would say that it definitely falls into a top tier scope category. It's just anecdotal opinions on my part, but I'd say that S&B is the clearest I've looked through, US Optics and Steiner are the next best, and NightForce is a ways behind those two. But, I won't claim I've shot every scope out there, either.

2) How much are you willing to pay for a name? Schmidt and Bender has a long standing reputation as being one of the best riflescopes on the market. This isn't to suggest that others aren't up to snuff, but S&B has a reputation for making only very high-end riflescopes. They also import all of their riflescopes from an expensive first-world country. Steiner has a really good reputation, but probably doesn't have quite the allure and sex appeal that is conjured up when people talk of S&B. As such, you're paying for a name to some extent when you buy a S&B scope instead of a Steiner scope. When I say this I mean that you're probably paying an additional *something* for the S&B name, even when you factor out any other differences between the scopes. They're great scopes, but so are Steiner scopes. Steiner might charge you $2K for a great scope, and S&B will probably charge you $3.5K. Both will get the job done. Think of it this way: if you go to Tiffany and Co to buy an engagement ring you are going to pay more for the same size/grade of diamond than you would if you went to Blue Nile, Inc. You can get the same product, but the name carries a price in that world, just as it does in our world of shooting.

3) Feature sets are an individual preference issue. It's hard to say which is better or worse, as that's something that each end user will decide for themselves. We actually discussed feature sets quite a bit while I was at the Steiner facility yesterday, and I'll unequivocally say that they put a lot of thought into which features went into the T5Xi scope. There are always tradeoffs, and I discussed a few of these trade-offs with Martin while I was there. For example, I have the MTC turrets on my S&B (it's a feature where every tenth click — the actual mil numbers — have a heavier and harder click than the other clicks). It's a feature that I like, as it aids me in counting my adjustments when I'm working fast. But, a lot of people hate this feature (including a couple of notable shooters I've seen comment in this thread already). So, a manufacturer has to decide if they want to include such a feature in a scope. In the case of the T5Xi, I believe the decision to not include such a feature was based on the premiss that a shooter who likes this feature would probably still buy a scope even if it lacked it, while a shooter who disliked the feature would probably avoid buying a scope if it had a feature they hated. Personally, I think that's a smart business decision on the part of Steiner, because it fits well with my personal opinion on such a feature: I'd still buy a scope without MTC turrets, but I know some folks who absolutely wouldn't buy a scope with that feature. Plus, by only offering the turret in the one design they are saving on manufacturing and R&D costs, which saves you some money at the cash register.

Anyway, whether a feature like that is beneficial is (again) something only an end user can answer. Anyone who has used an MTC turret on a S&B scope can tell you that you'll often overshoot your number if you're trying to dial to something like 3.9 or 4.1 mils (the heavy click causes you to overshoot the next light click). But, it's very easy to find the whole numbers with that system. See what I mean about tradeoffs?

Another feature set difference that someone might note when comparing the Steiner T5Xi to a S&B is the lack of a locking turret on the Steiner. I have locking turrets on my S&B, and I thought they were cool when I bought it. I've never touched the locking turret feature on the scope except when I'm required to do so for zeroing. So much for that! But, some users may want such feature. Personally, I'd go without the locking turrets if they cost even $20 more. If you're looking at a S&B vs a Steiner on the basis of locking turrets, you'll pay a lot more than that!

This list can go on and on, but it's really up to a user to decide how they value each of these "options" or "features"

4) Reticle choices. Think of reticles as copyrighted intellectual property. You really can't copy someone's original reticle design while it's covered under these laws, and every company has their own offerings. As such, if you want an H2CMR reticle, you need to buy a S&B. If you want the new reticle that's being offered on the Steiner (can't recall its name), you'll need to buy a Steiner. I see some advantages to the H2CMR reticle I have on my S&B, but I also see some advantages to the new Steiner reticle. I'd call it a wash in this category, and one that will once again come down to user preference. For whatever it's worth, I'd love to have the mil numbers on my reticle that are shown on the Steiner reticle.

5) Competition is a lot of this! S&B set a bar for other companies, and a lot of good companies are starting to rise to the challenge. As such, the user has more choices today than they've ever had, and we're in a great position now where we're starting to be overwhelmed with great offerings from a variety of companies. Schmidt and Bender seems to have taken the approach of saying "we're the 800 lb gorilla, and we're not changing our prices", while other companies are starting to innovate and build great scopes that they are willing to offer for less money. In doing so they are starting to capture a bit more market share.

Bottom Line?

I don't regret owning my Schmidt and Bender. It's a beautiful scope that has worked really well for me. However, my next scope purchase is probably going to be a Steiner. I still need to shoot one to say for sure, but I'm pretty darn confident in saying that it will perform precisely as advertised.

Why will I buy a Steiner next?

First, I can't see that I'm going to gain another $1,500-1,700 in benefit from the Schmidt and Bender. I imagine that I would do just as well in a competition using either scope, and wouldn't feel handicapped in the least by buying a Steiner. As I already mentioned, the Steiner has its own set of valuable features, just as the S&B has its own. The glass quality on a S&B could probably be described as "phenomenal", and the glass quality on the Steiner could probably be described as "excellent". Unless you used the two scopes exactly side by side, with both optics being precisely adjusted for your own eye, I'm not sure that you could tell a difference in glass quality. Remember, they're both using very high quality German-produced glass. I'd like to see a blind taste test between the two scopes just for curiosity. I imagine the S&B is a little bit better in the optical department, but not $1,700 better for my needs!

Furthermore, I'd probably buy the Steiner because I know that they really stand behind their product (not the 2-year limited warranty offered on my $3.5K scope), they seem like good people that built the scope from a shooter's perspective, and they are building them right here in Colorado (or, more importantly, here in the USA).

NOTE:

I've actually labored over this answer quite a bit for you. I think the reason it's so hard to answer this question is because I'm really having a hard time in finding faults that would bother me in either optic. They both give me the "wow" factor, and they're both sexy as can be in my opinion. Either Martin or Brendon can confirm that I played with that T5Xi for quite a bit of time yesterday :)

So, all else being equal, I'd probably buy the scope that costs a heck of a lot less, and put that money towards a good Spuhr mount and some ammo! It's not that Schmidt and Bender has lost its quality, it's just that others have caught up over the years. And, it's not as if anyone is knocking Steiner in any way by giving it a head-to-head comparison with a S&B. Personally, I'd really like to run them both side-by-side one of these days, just to be able to give you a more thorough answer to this question.

In the mean time, suffice it to say that I was impressed with the product that Steiner came up with, I was impressed with the employees who work there, and I was happy to hear that their scope was designed in the United States, is being built here in the states, but is still pulling in the best raw materials they can get to make the scope.

I've added a couple of pictures showing the raw stock that is used to make the scopes, along with a portion of the assembly that is taking place in a "clean room" at their facility. To take this picture I had to put on clothing that made me look like a lunch lady working in an Ebola zone.

Last edited:
I like the SCR reticle better than the H2CMR. I hate MTC turrets. I like lifetime warranties. I love $ in my pocket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
When can we expect the scope in Europe? And how will it affect the cost here that it is manufactured in US?

I'm afraid it will not be the bargain it seems to be, because it will fall in the same price range as Viper Razer HD, Nightforce F1 NSX, Kahles etc.

My currant Steiner glass is significantly better then any NXS version Nightforce or Razor HD that I've looked through. Also, I don't know any tactical Khales model with the the listed features of the T5X and cost of $1999. You might want to check your math again.

My currant Steiner glass is significantly better then any NXS version Nightforce or Razor HD that I've looked through. Also, I don't know any tactical Khales model with the the listed features of the T5X and cost of $1999. You might want to check your math again.

You can't directly translate cost and difference in cost from US to Europe. Let me illustrate with some prices from one of the largest EU vendors:

Kahles K624i: 2200€ (2773$)
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56: 2119€ (2671$)
Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 4,5-27x56: 2499€ (3086$)

My guess is that T5Xi will be more than 2200€ when it gets over the pond, like most of the US made gear.

My currant Steiner glass is significantly better then any NXS version Nightforce or Razor HD that I've looked through.

You should look through my 2013 vintage F1.

Your opinion will change.

NF could have done this 15 years ago and owned the industry.

That's why it is refreshing to see Steiner choose to go with the latest greatest coatings right from the start.