• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner P4Xi 4-16x56 - SCR Riflescope

Just received my second one from Cameraland! Thanks again to Doug and Joel!

It seems to be exactly the same as my first, down to the turret feel, parallax adjustment tension, illumination etc. that makes me feel better about the purchase, and it seems they are consistent in just about every way.

You guys keep selling them for that price and I’ll keep buying them! I think the performance for the dollar amount your spending here is head and shoulders above anything else out there. I’ve looked through the athlons in this price range, the vortex, leupold, and this is by far the better in the 800-1000 price range!

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
Just received my second one from Cameraland! Thanks again to Doug and Joel!

It seems to be exactly the same as my first, down to the turret feel, parallax adjustment tension, illumination etc. that makes me feel better about the purchase, and it seems they are consistent in just about every way.

You guys keep selling them for that price and I’ll keep buying them! I think the performance for the dollar amount your spending here is head and shoulders above anything else out there. I’ve looked through the athlons in this price range, the vortex, leupold, and this is by far the better in the 800-1000 price range!

Good to hear. I was looking at trying the Toric UHD but the FOV was 3’ less at 4x compared to the steiner and had 10 more mils of built in elevation. All the rave behind the toric is glass, and that alone didn’t outweigh the limits I saw.

Does this scope come with scope covers? I forgot to ask when I placed my order. If not, what size butler creek covers do I need?

I pulled a rear scope cap off of a Burris XTR2 and it was super tight, but it went on. Not sure what size that is, but a smidge bigger would be good. Not sure on the front either. Sorry.

Is the illumination supposed to be as bright as the 1-4 models? I have a buddy that has both and he was surprised that the illumination on the 4-16 is barely visible on an overcast day at the highest setting. That was with 3 different new batteries.
We were both really impressed with the optic, just curios about the brightness intensity.

Not sure as I haven’t personally looked through the 1-4’s, but I’m guessing it isn’t supposed to be. Everything I have read says the illumination in those is super bright, since it acts like a red dot on 1x.

The 4-16’s are not super bright, rather I find them really good in low light at dawn and dusk. If I crank it up all the way and try to use it in direct sunlight, you can’t really see the illumination. Personally I’m fine with that.

Hope that gives you an idea.

Has anyone been able to find a source for the T5Xi or M5Xi 56mm obj. sunshades???

Thanks psychosniper.... my search-fu has been weak.

Looking through this thread I do not see anyone referencing the great review that ILya put up a few months ago for the P4Xi - http://opticsthoughts.com/?p=2512

This scope keeps drawing my attention as a fantastic low light option under $1k, I've always had an affinity to the Hensoldt 4-16x56 and while I don't expect the Steiner to compete at the Hensoldt level it seems like it holds its own at $800 and punches above its class.

I just got/mounted one on a rifle this week... will be taking it to the range in the next couple of days.
Looking around the yard, I am very impressed with the scope so far. I think it performs well above its price!
Doug hooked me up for sure!!
DW

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
If I wasn’t spending the money on the night vision side of things, I would have another one by now.

Just got this kit from Doug on Friday. Its going on an older 6.5 Grendel. My new fancy-scmancy 6.5 Grendel just happens to have a T5xi 3-15 on it. Should be interesting to use both scopes side-by-side.

Just got this kit from Doug on Friday. Its going on an older 6.5 Grendel. My new fancy-scmancy 6.5 Grendel just happens to have a T5xi 3-15 on it. Should be interesting to use both scopes side-by-side.
Please share your thoughts, I have seen the T5Xi and was not impressed for the price, the P4Xi adds 56mm and a cheaper price to the mix

Sure thing. I was an early adopter of the T5xi and had to send it back to Steiner twice. Painful but at least Steiner stood by their product. Optically speaking, totally agree with your comment about the T5xi's price/performance.

Reactions: Glassaholic
For shits and giggles, I will bring along my AR10 that has a new SWFA 3-15 and include a quick and dirty comparison between the three. I was really planning on buying another SWFA 3-15 rather than going the P4 route. Changed my mind mainly to keep reticles the same on my Grendels.

Has anyone done a side by side comparison of this scope next to the Bushnell LRTS?

I don’t know about the T5Xi but when I put it side by side with my M7Xi it didn’t do as bad as I expected. FOV seemed similar.

Some initial impressions/observations/comparisons vs. the T5xi:

1. The P4xi (left) is longer:

1572097484556.png

2. The eye box, ease to get behind - slight edge to the P4xi, very nice.
3. Glass quality - very close, something about the P4xi I find a tad better.
4. Close range (less than 50 yards) focus - advantage T5xi.
5. Parallax adjustment - finicky, same for both, don't like either!
6. Turret feel - I prefer the T5xi. The P4's elevation turret is too tight.
7. Value proposition - P4xi all day long if you can deal with the elevation turret.

Off to the range (hopefully tomorrow) to actually use it.

Reactions: D_TROS
The turret will loosen up with some use. Feels perfect now. Past 400 yards set parallax to infinity and leave it.

Was only able take the P4xi out to 100 yards today but can report the following:

1. The scope responded perfectly to adjustments while zeroing.
  2. Turret resets to zero was simple.
  3. Could only get 17 mils of elevation using the Steiner mount after zero
  4. Both image resolution, brightness are in fact slightly better on the P4xi than the T5xi. Observation supported by two others, not just me.

A canted scope mount would likely enable the two full turret turns. Easy fix. My only complaint is tight elevation turret. For those shooters who do the PRS stuff that could be an issue. Other than that, a fine optic and a great value assuming it tracks true.

AZ out.

Last edited:
Thats a tough one, they both have different strengths. I have the P4XI and a buddy has the XTRII. The resolution and clarity in the Steiner is better but the CA is worse. The XTR has better turrets, I find the Steiner to be a little mushy in colder temps, whereas I think the XTR turrets are cleaner and more pronounces when dialling. The 15 mils per turn on the Steiner is sure nice though. I feel like the Steiner handles mirage better as well. But the XTR ergos I find to be a bit easier. The SCR reticle in the Steiner is not terrible but I think the XTR has better offerings. I think the Steiner does better low light as well.

again it all depends on what you like, I got a deal on my P4XI and it sits on my coyote gun, I can shoot and see further longer than any of my buddies so that helps

If I had to pick again I think I'd go with the Steiner despite the poor turrets just simply from a clarity perspective. That said the CA in this scope shooting over snow is terrible

Edit: I forgot to mention that the reticle is basically useless at minimum magnification on the Steiner

I’m thinking of one of these Steiners for a coyote gun of my own... also considering others in the price range like the Bushy DMR II, nightforce SHV FFP, Eotech Vudu... or maybe 3-18 Leupold mk5 or 4-16 NF ATACR if I decide to spend more money.

Of those $1000 ish options, would you recommend the Steiner over others? The SCR reticle is simple enough that I like it for hunting.

I’m thinking of one of these Steiners for a coyote gun of my own... also considering others in the price range like the Bushy DMR II, nightforce SHV FFP, Eotech Vudu... or maybe 3-18 Leupold mk5 or 4-16 NF ATACR if I decide to spend more money.

Of those $1000 ish options, would you recommend the Steiner over others? The SCR reticle is simple enough that I like it for hunting.
The SCR reticle tends to be very thin, but you will benefit from illumination

Steiner over all of them except atacr. The SHV has terrible FOV. It’s like looking through a toilet paper tube. Mk5 isn’t much better. Don’t care for Bushnell based on the first dmr I had.

Reactions: D_TROS
The DMR and DMRII are like two different scopes. About the only thing that is the same is the scope body.

The TX5i was on par with other 1500 dollar optics after the updates. I remember being stoked picking up a DMR for 900 bucks. What you can get for 900 today is way better than in 2014.

With the DMRII being 899 at Cameraland also or the LRTS for 699. It would be hard for me to say the PX4i has the punch above its price point it did a year ago, not that I think its a bad deal. IMO It would just be my last choice of the 3.

IMG_0448.JPG

P4xi for hunting? Not the best fit for that role. Reticle too thin, can only focus down to 50 yards ish and its rather large.

The DMR and DMRII are like two different scopes. About the only thing that is the same is the scope body.

The TX5i was on par with other 1500 dollar optics after the updates. I remember being stoked picking up a DMR for 900 bucks. What you can get for 900 today is way better than in 2014.

With the DMRII being 899 at Cameraland also or the LRTS for 699. It would be hard for me to say the PX4i has the punch above its price point it did a year ago, not that I think its a bad deal. IMO It would just be my last choice of the 3.

I agree, Bushnell has come a long way from the first DMR, they are a company dedicated to the sport and have put out some impressive optics of late, they may not be for everyone, but they are solid choices within their price range.

It all depends what you prefer for a reticle. I like the finer reticle of the Steiner myself and the resolution of this scope is actually fantastic. The CR sucks in the snow but I can get over that thanks to all of the other benefits I think this scope has, now if my turrets were a little easier to turn in the cold, I'd like that

but that said, I know it'll hold its own against scopes in the similar price range, but of course if you're going to spend more money, I know for my next hunting scope I'm for Mk 5s I like the light weight of them for hunting. ATACRs are really nice but heavier and here in Canada much more money

Purchased P4xi 4-16 recently...with mount. A big thanks to the folks at CL for the great CS as I pulled a search-snaFU and purchased without mount initially. Called them... non-issue. Had mount 2 days later.

I can only compare this to Leupolds and that really isn't fair either. I don't have any serious Tac scope experience. A substantial piece of kit for a rookie.

This is going on my rifle build mentioned in the FNG thread. Receiver B/O until mid December. Until then, I wait...patiently...

Has anyone compared this scope to the Minox as far as lowlight or any other scopes and how does it compare. Looking for a scope for a new hunting rifle I am putting together. It will be in 308 and the max range will be under 600 yards. The rifle will be kinda a short set up.

Has anyone compared this scope to the Minox as far as lowlight or any other scopes and how does it compare. Looking for a scope for a new hunting rifle I am putting together. It will be in 308 and the max range will be under 600 yards. The rifle will be kinda a short set up.
I own both, the P4XI and the Minox ZP5. When it comes to low light the Steiner is fairly good but it’s definitely not on the same level as the Minox in any light condition.

Robeast2000 which ZP5 do you have? I have the 5-25 myself but was looking for a shorter scope for my hunting rifle.

Robeast2000 which ZP5 do you have? I have the 5-25 myself but was looking for a shorter scope for my hunting rifle.
I also have the 5-25. The P4XI is not much shorter, but for its size it's pretty light though and it is definitely usable in low light. For the price the only other scopes I would look at are the Bushnells, although I think they might be heavier.

Last edited:
I also have the 5-25. The P4XI is not much shorter, but for its size it's pretty light though and it is definitely usable in low light. For the price the only other scopes I would look at are the Bushnells, although I think they might be heavier.
I assume you’re talking DMR II pro and nothing else? Thx.

Yes, the DMR II. I don't own one but I own the ERS which It's basically the same scope and although it's shorter, it's heavier than the P4XI and doesn't resolve CA as well as the Steiner. The 21X is nice but above 18x it starts getting dark around the edge.

Well I was just informed that Steiner has discontinued the P4xi 4-16.

Well I was just informed that Steiner has discontinued the P4xi 4-16.
I guess I'm not too surprised, the scope wasn't marketed very well and only a couple dealers seemed to ever have them, but I do like the ideal of the scope and would like to see more with larger objectives and lower magnifications. The Blaser Inifinity 4-20x58 looks amazing but they need a better reticle.

Just as I was about to order the scope but I guess its for the best. Now the search starts all over again.

Just as I was about to order the scope but I guess its for the best. Now the search starts all over again.
Doesn’t Doug still have a few? Or do you not want to buy a discontinued scope?

I prefer to buy one that is still in production. I have found that if some thing has been discontinued that the support will fall off as well.