• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner tactical scopes

colokraut

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2011
CO
So what's the deal with Steiner's "new" tactical scopes? I've read Ilya's high-end tactical III comparison, and I've also had the pleasure to check out a 4-16x50 in person a couple of weeks ago. The scope looked pretty good to me: clarity was superb, turrets very tactile, (illuminated) mil-dot reticle looked good, and pricing was very competitive (I might've gotten this wrong, as what I was told was significantly below what's "visible" on the web).

Have these been shipping for a while, or just become available? I do understand that the 5-25x56 aren't shipping yet, but how come Steiners aren't being discussed here more often? Simply a matter of (non-)availability? Or did I miss something else?

Thanks for offering your take on this, and helping educate a (long-time lurking, but) just-registered user!

Re: Steiner tactical scopes

I had an early release model, and it's a decent scope, they adjusted the price and made it more attractive, as well they corrected the turrets as the one I have was marked in clicks and not in Mils proper.

But with the adjusted price it's not a bad scope. I think the same guys behind the Premiers had a hand in it, some similarities to be seen in it.

I think they just weren't available and very few people have played with them. They seem to be more common in CO because of Sky Leighton / I know Trigger Time has them...

The only down side I have seen is, it big for a 4-16x, it was more than inch bigger than the SWFA SS 5-20x. Originally around SHOT last year they were talking about $2600 -$2700 which I thought was expensive for it, but I believe they are now closer to $2000 which puts it more inline to what I think makes it a good option for people who want German glass as the glass is very nice.

Yep, checked one out at Trigger Time, and the price mentioned was "about $2000". All of the Hide sponsors I bothered to check on the web had it listed at the original price, if they had them listed at all. However, I never bothered to check in-stock status with any of them. Seems like they're just getting into the sales channel?

You guys have any links to these sites, I can't seem to find them. Guess my google fu is a little off this morning.

Flyingbullseye

I used one for about 20min and it was nice. When I was told the retail price I was suprized. If the drop them down to $2k like Frank said then it would be with looking at again.

Mike @ CST

Colokraut, thanks for the links but I misread the earlier posts. I thought you and LL had found them for 2k.

Flyingbullseye

I am still using the 4-16x50 that I tested for the original article and it is holding up pretty well so far. I have not done anything particularly nasty to it other than a lot of turret twisting and I have no complaints whatsoever, other than the scope being pretty big.

ILya

Ive had a play with the 4-16 on a TRG, was pretty happy with it, and comparing it to the S&B's im used to using it was on par. I really liked the Illum setup with the 'off' inbetween each brightness setting, makes for a quick on/off and easy to find your prefered brightness level. As already stated, Nice turrets, good tactile clicks, I also liked the touchable 2nd turn indicator. It shot around the box well, as I was expecting.

As others have already said, my only dislike was its size, being almost an inch longer than the S&B 4-16 which is a pretty long scope.

If they could get the 3-12 back down to a schmidt or hendsolt length it would be a good package, (seing as it incorporates a number of features from both.)

Just my thoughts.

cheers,

JJ