• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Stephen Hunters: I Sniper

macthknife

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2004
clarksville, IN
Reading the Ebook now. Can't help it. I like the guys writing style. That Bob Lee Swagger is a great character. Here's to old guys kicking ass.

Re: Stephen Hunters: I Sniper

ya i agree, one of my favorite authors. and actually the book point of impact was what got me into long rang shooting when i was in seventh grade i think it was. haven't read 1 sniper yet though...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reading the Ebook now. Can't help it. I like the guys writing style. That Bob Lee Swagger is a great character. Here's to old guys kicking ass.</div></div>

+1...Bob Lee Swagger kicks ass almost as much as his daddy Earl! Gotta love Stephen Hunter. I have read almost all of his books.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People who identify with the characters in books are disturbing...
</div></div>

My psychologist told me that I was disturbed also...f#$%king shrink! Said it was PTSD...I told her that I was this f*&$cked up before I joined the Marine Corps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People who identify with the characters in books are disturbing...
</div></div>

Now THAT, is the Irony of the year.... :))

</div></div>

LOL QQ, I got the Irony in it, wouldnt of though if I wouldnt of pmed you a couple of questions a while back.

Guess I just have to accept that the crown for deeply mysterious and ethereal references and clever aliterations forever rests on the head of FortyOne.

I persist in my delusions nevertheless!

Sorry, I read the first reference to Carl Hitchcock and it went down hill from there.

Carlos Hathcock deserves alot more reverence than this.

I told Wifey to bring it back to the library.

YMMV,
Pete

I agree Balldboy! I enjoy Hunters works as fiction, (which I rarely read, preferring real people in real situations),but since it is fiction, felt Hunter could have made up a character anyway he wanted. To cloak thinly the Carl character upon Carlos is short of sacrilege, IMO. I was reading it last night and got mad, telling my wife "it's fiction for chrissakes!, make up your characters anyway you want, with backgrounds anyway you want, but no need to run this fraud! Use your imagination and develop your own story with imagined personalities into seemingly true to life characters! That's what good writers do!!!I'll finish the book,(I always do by personal reading code) but pisses me off on every page turning. I bought the book so I guess I'll deal with it!

+1 Balldboy. That reference to the "Gunny" is the reason I put it back on the shelf and did not purchase it. He deserves a lot more respect than that.

Flame away if you choose but I don't believe the series of books to berate Carlos Hathcock. They may use Hathcock as a baseline to build up a fictional character and that is what it is and nothing more but to each his on.

If this is not what you are insinuating then sorry for the misinterpretation.

I didn't really see where He treated Gunny Hathcock with any irreverence. You folks should have stuck with the book. All is not as it appears. Hunter loves guns and shooting, and that's a rare thing in a reporter.

It is worth reading all the way to the end. The gunny was treated with respect in the final analysis. And, like has been said, it is fiction. Just like obama's Dreams From My Father.

Hunter has used reference to all the old school gun gurus. Even WIley CLapp and his partner in debate were used when the father was up to a little whoop ass in Mississippi. Do not the old men of the original debate of fast and small vs slow and heavy deserve more than just a fictionalized character?

I have read all of Hunter's books. I have been entertained for a few hours, smiled, adn laughed, then put them down or passed them on to be enjoyed by someone else

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hunter has used reference to all the old school gun gurus. Even WIley CLapp and his partner in debate were used when the father was up to a little whoop ass in Mississippi. Do not the old men of the original debate of fast and small vs slow and heavy deserve more than just a fictionalized character?

I have read all of Hunter's books. I have been entertained for a few hours, smiled, adn laughed, then put them down or passed them on to be enjoyed by someone else </div></div>
Hey, I'm afraid You went above my head on that one, but I do usually pass my books on when they are not downloaded.

I cannot remember the rest of the guys who were always mentioned in Guns and Ammo when I was a kid. These guys were old men then. Cooper was already gray haired and had already done all there was to do on safari. These guys were the oh maybe 1930's I would guess, maybe the 50's. The debate was in full swing over pistols and stopping power. One group said the big .45 was the be all end all because it fired a big, slow bullet. The other group was staunchly supporting faster, smaller rounds.
If memory serves, the book is 'Pale Horse Coming'. Earl gathers up a group that includes all the original shooters that were the grist that the 70's gun magazines always mentioned in the hallowed arena of stopping power

Switchblade you're correct on the title, it was Pale Horse Coming.

IIRC he had characters based on Elmer Kieth and Ed McGovern also.

Tex,

Excellent observation. My addition was to simply point out the "memories from when I was a kid, too" and that many were old, and some were gone, then.

I was born in the late 60's, and I didn't get near as much 'influence' as I'd wanted, in my youth. The little that I did get, I appreciated, but didn't understand. Age bringing clarity (usually) adds another spectrum of understanding.

Then, there's our own personal curiosity and perseverance. How much do we actually want to learn about something, before we degrade and diminish our own memories?

Stephen Hunter writes some great books, in my opinion. These are not Texts. Not Training manuals. Nor are they Tome's. They are escape literature, simply put. I am thankful that we have such a venue.

Look at the rest of the books on the racks, or the 'Top-Eleventy' books that THEY want you to buy. How many of them actually have contents that interest you/me/us-shooters? There's a whole-whack (that is a technical term for LOTS) of blathering drivel out there. I do appreciate what we do have, and still want more.

Those who're 'grasping our attention' as well as hinting at other dimensions of interest should not be downplayed. You or I may not need or be interested in (whatever) but there are a lot of newbies who read these books, and are unaware of many of the topics inside, let alone the details. It is another method of planting seeds, and opening doors.

In this day and age, with the perception of ALL of the shooting sports, where is this a bad thing?

My apologies to those who think I may be swaying or killing the thread. Looking deeper, I hope that you see that my goal is to expand and expound it.

We have what we "know" from where we started. Look to where the newbies/youngsters/children are starting from today.

Plant the seeds, open the doors, invite the nephews AND the nieces to the range.

AND give them a book to read.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Stephen Hunter writes some great books, in my opinion. These are not Texts. Not Training manuals. Nor are they Tome's. They are escape literature, simply put. I am thankful that we have such a venue.

</div></div>
My thoughts exactly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texagator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The characters were based on:

Ed McGivern
Charles Askins
Bill Jordan
Jack O'Connor
Elmer Keith
Audie Murphy
</div></div>

Which one was the really old guy whose daughter/granddaughter tagged along and played medic?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texagator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: packratt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texagator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The characters were based on:

Ed McGivern
Charles Askins
Bill Jordan
Jack O'Connor
Elmer Keith
Audie Murphy
</div></div>

Which one was the really old guy whose daughter/granddaughter tagged along and played medic? </div></div>

I can't remember but Ed McGivern was the oldest of them and he was the one who used two revolvers to mow down several bad guys at once...IIRC. That might have been him. </div></div>

In a bar!

'Kin A! Those are the guys I was trying to remember! It was their arguments that brought about cool calibers like the 38 Super, the .45 Super, and so many other's to include the magnums that Colt and S&W made their money on in six guns.
I will say this, Doug McDougall had a seriously sick 38 Super he got from an old dude way back when. That gun was nice to shoot, handled well, but wasn't a .45. Kind of a pussy gun to me back then. I guess it takes a little age to realize that so much gun stuff is cool not because of what it is, but what it means to the industry.

I will definately have to buy the book. I wait for HUnter's Swagger books so long while stupid Obama and Oprah take up good rack space

I remember reading a story years ago when I was a kid. It was either in Sports Afield, or Field and Stream or one of the mags that Bill Jordan wrote for. Could have been someone else but it was a long time ago. Pretty sure it was Jordan though.

It told of a time when He was young man working Border Patrol and stopped at A Mexican style cantina right on the border and noticed a beautiful Cord automobile parked outside. So He went inside and struck up a conversation with the owner. They carried on about cars and women and guns till the wee hours of the morning. As the author was leaving for the evening, He was handed a card by the owner of the car, and He slipped it in his pocket.

The next day at work he found the card in his shirt pocket, and read it. It said Clark Gable, Los Angeles, California.

Anybody Knows the story, I would sure like to read it again, if it's online somewhere.

I finished the book this evening and most of my initial anger was slowly subdued as the book progressed. As previously mentioned,I don't read fiction much so I had to shift my mental gears and take it for what it was, a made-up story about shooters and guns. After it all said and done, it was an exciting read, creating good mental visuals for the reader, especially with those who have some familarity with the equipment and shooting processes utilized, along with the history of the main character from previous books.

Sean The Nailer "nailed it", when he said,"Stephen Hunter writes some great books, in my opinion. These are not Texts. Not Training manuals. Nor are they Tome's. They are escape literature, simply put. I am thankful that we have such a venue."

I still think he could have made up a sniper character that could of had a distinguished fictional career, based on fact, without the Carl name.

Hunter does write some entertaining books.

There are always quotes from books and moving that seem to stick,

My favorite movie quote "WE NEED A BIGGER BOAT"

but Hunter left me with my favorite quote from a book.

"DADDY'S HOME"

Remberber that one.

I have read several of Hunter's books in the "Bob Lee Swagger" Series. I enjoyed them although there are still technical inaccuracies. However they were not so glaring as to detract from the plot and nowhere near as bad as some in W.E.B. Griffin books.

Enjoy them for what they are....fictional works.

I will have to add "I Sniper" to my collection.

WEBG, AND Koontz! They BOTH suck at 'guns'!
I read fiction for escape.
Currently reading non fiction. A book about Greg Graphin and Preston Jones.
'Is Belief in God Good, Bad, or Irrelevant?'
'A Professor and a Punk Rocker discuss Science, Religion, Naturalism, and Christianity'

It is quite good and not at all what I expected as well as being a superb look at the differences between belief. It may well test the faith of an educated mind