• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

stevens 200 + new scope= no difference

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
So after I was told to buy a better scope for my stevens that was shooting around 3 moa, I did.

I put a super sniper 16x42 on it. So now this is the setup.

Choate tactical stock
rifle basix trigger @ 1.5 lbs
EGW picatinny rail
burris xtream rings

Shooting 175 smk.

I put the new scope on today and shot 3 groups. two didnt hit paper at 150 yards, I move up to 70 yards and it shot a 3.5 inch group.

Last week I almost sold all my rifles because this is pissing me off so much. I have 1500 dollars in a rifle that shoots 3 moa with front and back rests.

So what else can be wrong with it????

Does anyone know a decent gunsmith around the winston salem area???

Re: stevens 200 + new scope= no difference

I am very close to selling it for parts and picking up a 700 sps.

I dont want to, I need to save for a car.

I hate to hear that about your Stevens. I have seen these rifles shoot .75" and better on Fed Gold 168's. Have you tried anything other than the 175's??

On another note, what parts are you selling?? I would be interested in the Mueller scope, the trigger, and bolt handle.

Just let me know... Thanks!!

DK

I will sell the stock. A choate tactical in detachable mag, with its mag kit and mag. I could sell the trigger and bolt handle too.

Im gonna keep the mueller. It works fine and im gonna return the ss.

How much for the trigger and bolt handle??

DK

Sorry... Rifle Basix... I see it above... DUH!!

Trigger and bolt handle... SOLD!! What forms of payment??

DK

Just to clarify... $80 shipped for trigger and bolt handle??

DK

sorry to see you throw in the towel. i really think a dedicated savage smith would have had you in the 10 ring after a checkup. jim at northland would have been the first call even just to talk about what it could be. id say stick with it, but it looks like its getting parted out.

I hate to see someone give up on the Stevens as well. I will be happy to let him keep the goodies and find out what is wrong with the stick before throwing it to the wind...

DK

I think he just might have ended up with a barrel that has a problem with the crown. That is what it sounds like to me.

DK

with that much into it, he is almost there. subtract what the smithy bent you over for and see whats in in after that. think about calling jim and talking to him about it. if you want to sell it off, cool, its your choice. but dont do it out of frustration. mwroseberry has a stevens as do a few others and they are shooting good. is the barrel good and snug? is the recoil lug seated in its recess? action screws tight and are the holes in the stock snug? could the entire action be shifting? the base rings and scope would all have to be loose to cause that much shift in poi... i know the feeling. i felt the same way when i was messing with the epoxy for my texturing. set it aside before you cannibalize it. take a break, work on something else for a bit.

and just because its a mueller, dont make it the scope. has the rifle been taken apart? barrel removed ever? can you take the action out and see if the barrel nut is tight? is the lug loose? if you were closer, id offer to do what i could, but thats just barrel install and check headspace.

i think he got recrowned didnt he??

Funds for the trigger and bolt handle on it's way to you shortly. Thanks!!

DK

This may sound like a stupid question, but have you had a peek down the barrel to make sure that there aren't any problems with the bore? Barrel hitting stock?

Did you ever try shooting it in the factory stock?

I'd be hard pressed to say it isn't something stupid simple but to each his own.

By chance have you checked the chamber? Reading about the 3 guys with M200 problems got me thinking, it could be that your chamber is out of spec. Also the threading could be off where the barrel is mated to the receiver. If it's minutely loose, even something that cant be felt by hand, you could get large POI changes. Member here on the hide said something like a .1 degree change in the barrel equaled 6 MOA at 100 yards.

Before you sell everything off. Put the stevens back in the orig. stock and send it back to savage. They will more than likely replace it. I think you just got a lemon.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before you sell everything off. Put the stevens back in the orig. stock and send it back to savage. They will more than likely replace it. I think you just got a lemon.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet. </div></div>

+1