• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stevens 200 terrible groups

Re: Stevens 200 terrible groups

FL bed or float,middleground is a killer.

I dont want to get into bedding, I m getting a replacement stock for it later.

So I could sand down all the problem areas on the stock.

Barrels, bedding and bullets are THE important things when it comes to an accurate rifle. A 15$ box of bedding compound and some patients will reap rewards. Bedding is easy and there is lots of info on how to do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dntfxr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tighten the piss outta the base and rings to eliminate that possibility, then try some decent ammo before you dump the glass.
dntfxr </div></div>

NO. do not tighten the piss out of your rings or bases. they have torque values.... follow them. use some blue loctite on your scope base to receiver to prevent them from backing out due to recoil. the scope is the weakest link in items connected to your rifle. make sure you are secure in that department. good luck with the rest.

Again...a rifle is a system and it can perform no better than it's weakest link.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Again...a rifle is a system and it can perform no better than it's weakest link. </div></div>

Agreed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dntfxr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tighten the piss outta the base and rings to eliminate that possibility, then try some decent ammo before you dump the glass.
dntfxr </div></div>

NO. do not tighten the piss out of your rings or bases. they have torque values.... follow them. use some blue loctite on your scope base to receiver to prevent them from backing out due to recoil. the scope is the weakest link in items connected to your rifle. make sure you are secure in that department. good luck with the rest. </div></div>

I didnt. I already used lock-tight on my bases. My rings are really freaking tight too. I think the problem is ammo and cheapass stock.

i have heard people lots of problems with the stevens 200 at first... They change thier stocks and wall-la. It shoots perfect!

Just sanded down part of the stock that was touching the barrel. It was just at the end of the stock. When I reassembled it I noticed that the barrel wasn't aligned with the barrel channel. The barrel was almost sitting on one side of the stock. So I put a small piece of duct tape on one side where the action meets the stock. That nudged the barrel back in the channel, now there is alot more space between stock and barrel. That may have been contributing to the stock hitting the barrel.

Reread my Posts on this thread,three times.

the stocks on these flex a lot. when used with a bipod it's common to have this issue. google will show you how to fix it.
Then get some other ammunition and see how you go. As a basic gun these are fine. Most are accurate and for very little cash you can get a lot of return. Bedding IS very important, you might want to look at at least one of the guys who replied to your thread telling you this
wink.gif

Bedding is really easy.

PM sent. And ignore those that say the stevens cant shoot as I have no problem playing with the guys that have rifles that cost 3-4 times more than mine.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC

Were did you put the duct tape........in your ears and across your eyes???

Read what Oily is trying to tell you and listen!!! The mistake you and others are makeing is thinking he's being a dick, he's not, he's trying to help you!!! What do you expect, to be taken by the hand, showen what to do,ignore what you've been told, do your own thing, fuck it up again, wonder why your way diden't work, then get a big hug to make you feel better cos you know fuck all and wont listen???

Do people think that because they are a member of this forum, that if they are dumb, they have immunity from being told they are dumb? Do they feel the need to bitch and complain when someone hurts their feelings?? .....even if their feelings being hurt is a side affect of them being told the obvious??? Grow up pussy's!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just sanded down part of the stock that was touching the barrel. It was just at the end of the stock. When I reassembled it I noticed that the barrel wasn't aligned with the barrel channel. The barrel was almost sitting on one side of the stock. So I put a small piece of duct tape on one side where the action meets the stock. That nudged the barrel back in the channel, now there is alot more space between stock and barrel. That may have been contributing to the stock hitting the barrel. </div></div>

You ain't MacGyver, duct tape don't fix everything.

Bed your stock. Center the barrel in the channel before bedding with tape around the barrel at the forend and bed the damn stock

Poor rifle! Sure the stock is not much, but I have rarely seen one that would not shoot MOA or less without issue. Please do not shoot your mouth off about things that you do not have a clue about!

Look into a better stock. That will improve your shooting immensely. If it does not shoot as well as you had hoped after this, buy a pre-fit Shilen barrel. The next this is a good trigger (Sharp Shooters Supply Competition model). Bed or have the new stock bedded. It will shoot with rifles costing 3X as much. If you buy yourself a Wheeler action wrench and barrel nut wrench, you can even swap barrels to other calibers with relative ease. It is really sickening just how good the Stevens 200/Savages are compared to the Remington offerings these days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dntfxr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tighten the piss outta the base and rings to eliminate that possibility, then try some decent ammo before you dump the glass.
dntfxr </div></div>

NO. do not tighten the piss out of your rings or bases. they have torque values.... follow them. use some blue loctite on your scope base to receiver to prevent them from backing out due to recoil. the scope is the weakest link in items connected to your rifle. make sure you are secure in that department. good luck with the rest. </div></div>

The average Stevens gunwrench doesn't have torque wrenches. Tighten the piss outta it is better than loose base and rings. Thats the first thing to eliminate every time. Sounds like thats already done, next...

The bipod puts way too much torque on that stock. Put it away untill you get a better stock, next...

Buy some decent ammo. If you can't find target or match ammo try some Federal Premium hunting ammo,next...

If the scope won't HOLD zero thats a problem. If it won't crank BACK to zero, not a big deal, just don't crank it until you get something better.

Oilyowl aint just bustin your balls, he's giving you sound advice.

dntfxr

Because the bi-pod most likely is causing the problem with the stock rubbing, but anyone feel free to correct this if you dont think its the case.

Mr. Obvious,

#1 Solid Glass & Mounts
#2 Quality Ammunition
#3 Solid Pillar Bedding of the receiver to a qulaity stock
#4 Free floating barrel
#5 Good Trigger, 1.5 to 2.5 Lbs.
#6 Solid Rest
#7 Good Technique behind the rifle

All of these are an absolute must before one can evaluate the accuracy of any rifle. If any of the seven points above are compromised, the accuracy and or results will also be compromised. Some times we have to start at the begining to find or evaluate a problem. If all of the seven steps above have been addressed and are solid and you still have a problem, I'd look at the barrel as the possible problem.

New range report!

Ok. I did remove the duct tape from stock, thanks for freaking out about it lol. I removed the bipod and shot from a backpack. The first group I shot was with the 147pmc. From 150 yds it grouped around 3.5 inches. (Same as last time) Next group I used some remington express 150gr. It shot much better. Around 1 3\4 groups from 150. Next I used some winchester 180gr. The winchester way by far the worst ive shot. It was a 7in group at 150yds. I think the cheap stock couldnt withstand the 180gr winchester, that or it just REALLY hates it. The last group I shot was with the remington 150, I also mounted tbe bipod back just to see the difference. It actually preformed the best out of all the groups, 1.5 inch groups.

Anyway I think Im gonna stick around the 150gr mark, maybe try some handloads once I get the equipment.

Thanks for all the help, I might try to bed the stock if I can figure out how to do it without ruining what I already have.

Bullet weight has zero bearing on the multiple roadblocks you've chosen to set in the way.

Best.... thread.... ever.

"Hey, my rifle doesn't work. How do I fix it?"

"Do these things to fix it."

"Hey, I did 5 things, none of which were the things everyone suggested. Anyway, it still doesn't work. What do I do now?"

"Do the things we told you before."

"Hey, I thought of five more things to try. None of them were mentioned on here, but I already had the duct tape. Plus, why is everyone being so mean?"

Classic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New range report!

Ok. I did remove the duct tape from stock, thanks for freaking out about it lol. I removed the bipod and shot from a backpack. The first group I shot was with the 147pmc. From 150 yds it grouped around 3.5 inches. (Same as last time) Next group I used some remington express 150gr. It shot much better. Around 1 3\4 groups from 150. Next I used some winchester 180gr. The winchester way by far the worst ive shot. It was a 7in group at 150yds. I think the cheap stock couldnt withstand the 180gr winchester, that or it just REALLY hates it. The last group I shot was with the remington 150, I also mounted tbe bipod back just to see the difference. It actually preformed the best out of all the groups, 1.5 inch groups.

Anyway I think Im gonna stick around the 150gr mark, maybe try some handloads once I get the equipment.

Thanks for all the help, I might try to bed the stock if I can figure out how to do it without ruining what I already have. </div></div>

You need to decide if you want to keep the stock you have (and FIX IT) or accept the accuracy level you have until you get a new one. You can improve the one you have, but those cheap tupperware stocks will never be "right". Save yourself the headache and get a decent stock that won't flex....then bed it.

...so you invested time and energy into painting your stock and barrel, but you're reluctant to invest in $10 of bedding compound and an afternoon to bed your existing stock because you think you'll be dumping it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: James Johnston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.........he painted it to make it tacticool, fuck listening to sound advise, he thinks it looks good now and 1 1/2" may be his limit anyways........
</div></div>

Dude, I bought a stevens 200. Do you think I give a shit about tacticool? Its people like oilyowl that have to have equipment can withstand being thrown out of a helicopter and have 5 rails on it that he will never use.

I painted it because the grey stock was ugly.

If you mess a paint job but you have a crappy looking gun, if you mess a bedding job up you screwed up your gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chuff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best.... thread.... ever.

"Hey, my rifle doesn't work. How do I fix it?"

"Do these things to fix it."

"Hey, I did 5 things, none of which were the things everyone suggested. Anyway, it still doesn't work. What do I do now?"

"Do the things we told you before."

"Hey, I thought of five more things to try. None of them were mentioned on here, but I already had the duct tape. Plus, why is everyone being so mean?"

Classic. </div></div>

First, forgive me if I didnt run to the store at 11pm to go buy bedding and spend all night messing around with my stock because Ive never even heard of "bedding".

Secondly, when did I ever complain about any of you being mean, I just implied that some of you lacked tact.

You mess up a bedding job and that's what a dremel tool is good for. Grind it out of there and start again. Listen to owl and others on here.

I have a Stevens 200 in 7 MM Rem Mag. it too has the stock stock a easy fix is to stiffen it. Go down and buy 2 1/4 inch aluminum rods cut to lenght for fitting into the for-end of stock. Get some either bedding compound or ever the aluminum bondo will work you just have to really ruff up the inside of the stock for it to get a good bite. Put in enough to cover the rods but not enough to hit the barrel when installed. This is not the greatest thing since sliced bread but it will work I've done it and my Stevens will shoot 5/8 inch groups at 150 yds. Take it for what it's worth.

Knowing what "bedding" is ranks right up there with "which end do you shove the bullet thingy in" as far as basic knowledge goes. What you characterize as a lack of tact is mostly incredulity and frustration at some of your replies. You had roscoe, one of the best rifle builders in the country, take the time to reply, yet you admit you are not even familiar with the terminology he used. Not beating the search function drum, but a little more research on your part is not too much to ask or expect. Tactless dick rant off. AG

Your "bedding" questions could have easily been answered by searching, BUT there are a number of us on here that will answer your questions without belittling you. Jump on youtube and watch all the stock bedding vids you can handle. be sure and watch the MidwayUSA vids. They have a lot that will help you. Good luck and keep posting your questions.

I love this place already!
laugh.gif

As a fellow "Starting Off Cheap" shooter I can add a little to the more lucid posts above (tho the less lucid are very funny
laugh.gif
).

I know for a fact that a Wally World Stevens will shoot MOA at 100, at least. But PMC bronze won't do it reliably. I tried PMC in my XS7 (my build base) and where it will shoot good factory ammo under MOA easily, the PMC would only run about 1.25 minimum.

As for the flimsy stock, the suggestion on bedding and stiffening with aluminum rod is a good one. Just bedding the recoil lug and first couple inches of barrel, and floating the rest of the barrel and stiffening the forearm, I have taken an old USRAC Model 70 7mm RM from a 1.5" shooter to a consistent MOA shooter with cheap Federal ammo. And it'll shoot sub MOA all day with good stuff.

Your base rifle is good. I guarantee it. You just need to bed it, stiffen the stock, get good bases and rings, and better ammo. It WILL shoot and will make an excellent base rifle for learning and growing with. Later on you can replace the stock and barrel as funds allow - then later step up to a 700P or 10FCP-K or whatever. Hundreds of guys have built inexpensive Marlin, Stevens, and Savage rifles into shooters. Send a PM if you need any help with the details. I just went thru it (with help from more experienced shooters) so it's all still fresh.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its people like oilyowl that have to have equipment can withstand being thrown out of a helicopter and have 5 rails on it that he will never use.</div></div>

Feel free to post photos of these rifles he allegedly owns. You seem to know all about them, so man up and offer proof they exist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, Ive had my stevens 200 .308 for about 2 weeks now and finally got a chance to shoot it for more than 30 minutes.

I already had the scope close to zeroed in and today I wanted to see how it would group.

I dont know what ammo it likes yet so I bought some cheap PMC bronze .308s. The pmcs are 147gr. Ive already put about 11 rounds through it trying to break it in. I have ordered a bell and carlson medalist stock but apparently they cant keep them in stock to save their lives, and they have been backordered since the beginning of time.

Anyway, I shot 2 4 shot groups from 100 yards today before I got dissapointed and backed up to 500. The first was probably a 5 inch group and the second was maybe a 4.

My question is how can I shrink these? Better ammo or is it the notoriously flimsy stock that it destroying my accuracy?

Thanks for the help guys </div></div>

I haven't read this whole thread so I might be repeating others.

Loose the stock!!! You will have constant shifting of the action in the stock and "POI changes... poor accuracy" because of the flexing.

Laminated wood stocks can be had extremely cheap,are "very" stable and easy to work on/repair.Learn to glass bed! If I can do it,anybody can!

Start reloading! It's way cheaper and you can tune the load to your rifle with little effort.

Steve

Track down some of the Hornaday Amax match ammo with the 155 Amax bullets, I would try a box of 168's as well, these should shoot better than the winchester ammo.

Your stock is an issue, but you seem to either have one on order or are looking for an in stock model. If I were you I would simply enjoy your rifle until you can find a stock (hopefully soon) and then then once you buy that stock, have it bedded by a gunsmith, this will take a number of issues out of the gun. I see no point in spending money on a stock I dont intend to keep.

OP- While the advice here is good, and honest (painfully so), perhaps you would benefit from visiting savage shooters forum to see what the stevens are capable of with the same mods as being suggested here. Proof in the pudding and all that.