• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stevens Action vs Savage action are they the same?

daburrrninator

Private
Minuteman
May 1, 2010
I want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding. If I buy a Stevens 200 in 308 for $300 or so and a Savage 10FCP for $900 that action will be the exact same?

Would the difference between the two be the trigger, barrel and stock?

If all I want is the action, would there be any reason to buy a Savage vs a Stevens?

Re: Stevens Action vs Savage action are they the same?

You have it almost right - the actions are identical and are not marked Savage or Stevens - just a serial number.

It's the trigger, and stock that are different.

The barrels are stamped "Stevens" but are otherwise identical as well - though the choices are limited with the Stevens line on barrels.

" though the choices are limited with the Stevens line on barrels."

You lost me there, if the Actions are identical why are the choices of barrels limited with Stevens?

Re: Stevens Action vs Savage action are they the s

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: daburrrninator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">" though the choices are limited with the Stevens line on barrels."

You lost me there, if the Actions are identical why are the choices of barrels limited with Stevens? </div></div>

What he meant to say is that factory Stevens branded guns have a smaller selection of offered calibers than factory Savage branded guns. Barrels can be freely swapped between Savage and Stevens actions.

Also the Stevens don't have factory models with heavier contour barrels than just their hunting profiles. Otherwise, like others said, no accu-trigger, different stock, different finish on the action but otherwise the same action.

If you are looking to get the action for a build, and you don't like the accu-trigger, get the Stevens and save money. Northlander on www.savageshooters.com has actions-only for sale for $230.00 + shipping. He also has factory or aftermarket barrels.

I took at a look at savageshooters and I'm still debating on what I should get but so far I like the Accutrigger.

If you have Academy Sports nearby they have Stevens in 7mm08 for $199.00. I bought one, slapped a cheap scope on it, resized some .308s to 7mm08, and shot 6.75" at 500 yards. I might have to get another one - like I need another rifle.

Sherlok

man i wish i had went the stevens route.
i got a rem 700 varmint and started doin stuff to it. that stevens idea would have been cheaper and i think i would have enjoyed it more.
i could have had stevens action, aftermarket barrel, and B&C stock for what my base gun cost (600ish give or take a little)
mistake of a noob.

There are some who will argue that starting with a Remington platform will save you money in the long run, kind of like the if you buy a quality car at the beginning, even though it is more expensive, you will end up saving money down the road on maintenance costs. Not exactly sure how the Rem way will save you money, maybe they are saying since you will eventually end up with a Rem custom variant in some fashion, might as well start with it, instead of going through customizing another rifle before you realize Rem is the way?

I'm still debating my first build between Stevens/Savage, Howa, and Rem. So far the Stevens is leading because I will be able to do most of the installs/replacement of parts by myself.

I just built this 6BR on a Stevens action. Fun project.
photo3.jpg

I picked this up a last year its a savage 110 in 30.06 new in the box it was 200 dollars. I have never shot it and it has been sitting in the vault this entire time now I have plans to rebarrel and put a better stock on it. I can't seem to make up my mind about changing it over to 300 win mag or leaving it in 30.06. Either way it's getting a longer heavier barrel and a new stock.This is going to be my first build of this type any suggestions.
DSCN0402.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are some who will argue that starting with a Remington platform will save you money in the long run, kind of like the if you buy a quality car at the beginning, even though it is more expensive, you will end up saving money down the road on maintenance costs. Not exactly sure how the Rem way will save you money, maybe they are saying since you will eventually end up with a Rem custom variant in some fashion, might as well start with it, instead of going through customizing another rifle before you realize Rem is the way?
</div></div>

It's silly "logic" to justify an opinion. By the time you have done up a Rem action properly you are close to a custom action which will be better in every way. Might as well pay for the custom action straight up and get something far better. Much of the work does not need to be done on a Savage action.
In the end, people should just buy what they want and not try and argue a point which is not relevant.

Sorry AUJohn, that is not my opinion, hence I started with "There are some who will argue...", and ended with Stevens being the front runner of my build choice. You are right about it being a silly logic, and that is why I said it to poke fun in a nice way.

I am all for doing things myself and buying what I want with my money, especially when there are enough shot groups out there showing a Savage/Howa can shoot as well as Rem from the factory, and you can build them up just as easily now.

Just for clarity on a super-detail level, the Stevens and Savage actions are not actually identical. Accu-triggers and the 'standard' triggers are different, and you can't install an Accu-trigger into a 'standard' trigger action, nor vice-versa, because the receivers are machined a bit differently.

Not that this matters to most who are interested in 'building' a rifle...

I have been emailing Jim from northland off of savageshooters for a couple days now about a 7mm-08 build I want to do. He has the promptest responses and I can tell his customer service is great! As for not using a stevens action for the sole reason of the accutrigger not fitting. You better ask yourself if the accutrigger is worth a couple hundred dollars. Because there are several other trigger options you can go with that will cost less than a action that is accutrigger compatible. I know Jim sells one for under 40 bucks that adjusts down to 2 1/2 lbs. If you want less pull than that SSS has a comp trigger for 97. Don't get me wrong I love my accutrigger on my model 10. But when it comes to a build am I going to pay that much more for it when I can get the same proven results for less? NO. That money would be better suited for a better barrel, glass, mount, etc. Good luck and either way you will not be disappointed!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You better ask yourself if the accutrigger is worth a couple hundred dollars.</div></div>

I agree, and that's what I was alluding to. Personally, I'm not much impressed with the Accu-trigger at all. I find most of them to be distinctly creepy, and not crisp at all. The old 3-screw triggers were (and are) marvelous once polished properly/well.

I'm still waiting to realize Rem is the way
smile.gif

Any minute now...

Cabellas has (or had ?) a Savage variant called the Model 10 FP-LEA2 regularly priced at $699. 26" heavy barrel, DBM, Accu-trigger, Choate Varmint / Tactical stock with full length Anschutz style front rail. That is what I bought for my first LRRP (Long Range Rifle Project). I like to build things also, but this was "turn-key" perfect to start with. Let's see, action = $230, barrel = ~ $275, stock = ~ $175. That already equals $685 and does not include a trigger, bolt (well maybe the bolt and trigger, still...), magazine, barrel nut, recoil lug etc... . YMMV ! Best Regards !! Joe

If i could do it all over again, i would start out with the Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 and go from there.
I would have rebarreled it with a match krieger, and put it in a bell and carlson a5. Tuned the trigger a bit and your set!
Thatd be a cheap and one hell of a started rifle!
Dont make my mistake. "MDM" and "MWroseberry" did it the right way!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forest12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Dont make my mistake. "MDM" and "MWroseberry" did it the right way!
</div></div>

True, MWroseberry and i will be shooting saturday and I have a feeling after I sample his I will be kicking myself in the ass all the way home!

Well, I got into a Stevens 200 for $250 delivered to my FFL. I put on my Badger Tactical rail, mounted a CenterPoint scope with Weaver Quad rings, existing bipod, existing sling, airsoft stock pack, dropped in a Rifle Basix trigger, chopped the barrel to 20", threw on some Krylon...

DK

SmileyE.jpg

and it shoots like this... .628" 5-shot group with FGMM 168's. Yeah, I am happy with it!!

p.s. - this was the best group of the day. They hovered around from .7 to 1.1" (just for clarification)

SmileyB.jpg

I had been talking to the other half a while back about getting her into a 7-08 for using in AK. for an upcoming caribou hunt. For Mothers' day we were in Little Rock and wandered into the Academy sports where I found their $199.00 Stevens 200 rifles in the 270 LA and SA 7-08 . That price is hard to pass on for a cheap start point for her first bolt action, Or for a good inexpensive build platform.

10-15 years ago I would tell you to build the Rem. , But these days there are no shortage of quality parts available for the Savage owners/builders. And I cant see that demand going away, Nor more options becoming available as we head forward. And Savages have shown themselves capable of accuracy
Stevens 200 = $199
Shilens Match barrel = $305
B&C A2 stock = $207
Basix trigger = $95
Total- $806

One could obviously cut cost in a couple places on that list but over time the cost could be handled by most I would think.

I used a donor Stevens 200 to build a fairly low cost varmint rifle in 25-06 (feral and wild hog rifle):

Shilen Select Match pre-fit barrel from Northland Shooters Supply
Center Shot Rifles "Muscle Brake"
Sharp Shooters Supply Competition trigger
Sharp Shooter Supply bolt handle
Used Choate UV stock
Nikon Monarch 4-16X50 and Talley rings, that I already had.
Total after selling Stevens barrel and stock: Just under $1000.00(less scope)

I will add a Vortex Viper PST and Seekins base and rings once the scope is available.

I think it turned out well for the cost
smile.gif

rifle1.jpg

<span style="font-size: 14pt">Center Shot Rifles "Muscle Brake"</span>

rifle2.jpg

rifle3.jpg

rifle4.jpg

rifle5.jpg

Just got it all together this past weekend. Did not have a chance to test any loads yet as it has been windier that a bean eating Texan all weekend.

Please post pictures of the feral and wild hogs you kill with this monstrosity you call a Varmint Rifle.

The wind has been too high for me to trust the results. Sorry if you don't agree. Once I get a comfortable load, I will deal with the wind like everyone else does. From the looks of the Denton Match this past weekend, things were less than optimal out there. Guess you can find new loads in 15+ mph winds that you will stand by at all times. Good for you.

Heavy guns shoot better for me. Your mileage may vary. For what I have in it, I think that it will do just fine vs a stock rifle of any brand. Just my opinion though.

I did not build it for a beauty contest. It looks fine to me anyway and I am the one shooting it. Sorry if you don't care for it. Build what ever you want. For the money invested, I think it will be just fine. All that I really care about, is how it shoots. I am not here to be part of a dog and pony show.

This was built cheaply (less than a grand). I truly feel that the sum of the parts will exceed to cost by a fair margin. Sure it needs better base and rings, but it is what I had available at the time. I have zero doubt that it will shoot out to 500 yds+ accurately, as it sits though.

Last I checked the caliber fits the varmint category pretty well. Unless the only thing that you term as a varmint is PD or ground squirrels.

I think that your suggested build will make a fine shooter. It is also nice that you can do all of work yourself. There are somethings that are better left to a quality smith, but to get a good shooter for little money, the Savages are very tough to beat, IMO. Go with a custom action if you really want the best and justify spending dollars with your chosen smith.

Saving money is never a bad thing especially when there is little perceivable gain from spending it!

And the brain decay of the old stooges...............

Seems like this gentleman had no issues making this stock shoot OK World, Euro, British F-TR Champion

Sorry that it is not one of your beloved action choices there tripper. If i wanted the best I would use a custom action. Otherwise I use one that does not need all kinds of assistance to work as well personally.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DRA-M40A1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please post pictures of the feral and wild hogs you kill with this monstrosity you call a Varmint Rifle. </div></div>
if you think thats a monstrosity i should put pics of mine up. savage model 10 action
factory stock
and here's the kicker, remington heavy varmit barrel, in a .243

i know, i know, normally wouldn't fit, but when your best friend is a smith and the 2 of you get bored, stuff can get interesting. the barrel was cut to 24 inches, the bore lapped, muzzle crowned and threaded, chamber recut to .243, and threads cut to match the savage action. we also did away with the barrel nut that savages come with.

don't judge, just worked up a new load for it, 100 gr speer btsp, 39 gr h414, win. brass, cci large rifle primers. best 3 shot group at 100 was .108", that's just over 1/10 MOA, out of a frankenstien rifle and hunting loads!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MZ5</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> you can't install an Accu-trigger into a 'standard' trigger action, nor vice-versa, because the receivers are machined a bit differently.</div></div>

I put an Accu-trigger in my Stevens. Had to put the guts of the Accu-trigger in the Stevens trigger housing, but definitely not rocket surgery for a kitchen table (living room couch) gunsmith.

YMMV but I have been very happy with the Rifle Basix Sav-1 I put on my Stevens "Unwashed Rig", had a few frustrations with the Accutrigger on the 10 FCP-K that I ended up selling. My point is don't pass on the Stevens action because it is not made to accept the accutrigger, there are other good (some say better) choices for a trigger on your build.

Besides the fact that Steven action isn’t accutriger compatible, has Steven written on the action and has a different bolt knob, what are the other differences with Savage 10 action?
For example does it have the same black matte tactical finish of a Savage 10 action?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: daburrrninator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding. If I buy a Stevens 200 in 308 for $300 or so and a Savage 10FCP for $900 that action will be the exact same?

If all I want is the action, would there be any reason to buy a Savage vs a Stevens?</div></div>

Nobody has mentioned the Savage Axis/Edge. Is that action good to build off of? Is it the same as the other Savages or Stevens 200?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 0051</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: daburrrninator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding. If I buy a Stevens 200 in 308 for $300 or so and a Savage 10FCP for $900 that action will be the exact same?

If all I want is the action, would there be any reason to buy a Savage vs a Stevens?</div></div>

Nobody has mentioned the Savage Axis/Edge. Is that action good to build off of? Is it the same as the other Savages or Stevens 200? </div></div>

Nope, completely different i think.

If you want an action to build off of, you need a Stevens or Savage action, the Axis/Edge action is completely different and there aren't many, if any after market parts for it.

I just got a Stevens 200 in 308 off of Auctionarms with a 3-9x40 VX2 on it for $360 to my ffl...not a bad deal IMHO. I was a little apprehensive about anything other than a Remy, why you say...honestly I don't know. I am just really partial to Remington. But, I took the plunge and what helped my decision was the accuracy folks are getting from their "Home Smithed" rifles and I want to give it a whirl.
From what I've read, the Stevens 200 is pretty much the same as the Savage 10/110 and there's a wealth of info out there for the DIY type....now to decide what caliber to do. I'm torn between a 243 and a 6 BR...

Stevens 200 is a great starting point. Too bad Savage discontinued making them. The edge/axxis is not the same rifle as as stated above can not be modified. Here is my rig at Rayner's range this past weekend.

Stevens200atRayners.jpg

Stevens 200
McGowen 7-08 1 in 8 twist 26" bull
Harrel Muzzle brake
MCS-T with CDI DBM
Rifle Basix Sav-1
Custom Bolt Handle
Bolt Lift kit

I would get the Stevens and put a SSS comp trigger or RB Sav-2. Perhaps get the receiver trued, not necessary but it would help. The Stevens/Savage action can be the basis of a great rifle if built right.

A few of you said the Axis/Edge cannot be modified. What about a DIY barrel change from one of the prefit manufactures (e.g. CBI, Shilen, etc.) or would it need to go to the smith?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 0051</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A few of you said the Axis/Edge cannot be modified. What about a DIY barrel change from one of the prefit manufactures (e.g. CBI, Shilen, etc.) or would it need to go to the smith? </div></div>

Can it be done, YES. If you go with a heavy barrel it will need major stock modifications and you will have to use the factory stock as the rifle has no recoil lug. It would be a complete waste of money when you can get a stevens for 300.00

Good luck,
Merritt

You will need a new trigger and a new stock. My Stevens wouldn't fit in an accustock without $50 of gunsmithing.