• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steyr Mod SS6.69

akabaron

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2007
Tempe AZ
I might pick up 1 of these rifles for a good deal but having a problem. 1st problem is the rifle has no mounts. It should come with the quick detatch mounts/rings and I cant locate them. The question is can something else be used in place of those mounts in order to mount a scope on the rifle or do you know where I could pick up a set for 30mm without paying a fortune? The 2nd problem is the gun is chambered in 22-250 and is missing the magazine! I can find the .308 magazines but not the 22-250 Can the .308 mags work without making an internal block or will it feed properly using the standard .308 mag? Dont want to dump a fortune or it wont be a good deal anymore. Would just like to know if I can make it work easily, if not I will pass on the deal thanks

Re: Steyr Mod SS6.69

DEATH, unless you absolutely have to have one of these guns I would discourage you from investing in it. I have a friend that has had one for a long time and on his rifle the bottom plate which is made of plastic has cracked, also he has had magazines that have cracked. They are very accurate due to their hammer forged barrels but their down side is the plastic mags and trigger guard. I believe in their day the SSG was the shit but their are many fine rifles now that not only can shoot just as well and can use a wide array of mounts and rings. But like I said, if you got have one I guess that what matters.....Just my opinion.....

You can get a rail mount from Pete Athens that will enable you to use regular 30mm rings of your choice. The Steyr 30mm rings are expensive, even used. As for the mags, I am not sure but ask Pete and he could help you out with that question. I replaced the tupperware stock on my SSG with a McMillan and could not be happier with it. It will shoot just as well as rifles that cost much more. I have seen SSGs in .243 but never one in 22-250. Not a common rifle for sure. I would check the barrel to make sure that it has some good life left in it.

The bore and rifling look mint. I assume some one sold off the magazine and mounts as they are pretty costly. I saw when reading up on them that some were offered a 10rd mag. Not really caring about capacity but do need a working magazine. I pulled the action out of the stock as they dicked up the trigger adjustments pretty bad but now breaks under 2 lbs and is very clean break with hardly any play. Didnt see any cracks in the stock or the plate or trigger guard but nice to know what might happen. Havent commited on it yet but if I can find a good working magazine and aftermarket mounts as you speak of it would be a nice varmint gun. How do I get in contact with Pete Athens? Would like to know about the mount and possibility of any magazines? Thanks for the info

Well, you could google him. But here it is www.Pjs-steyraug.com
You will see the SSG picatinny rail on the fouuth from the top yellow banner on the left of his web page. I have done business with him and he is GTG. He has been in the business for many years and is well known and respected, IMHO.

RE : Calibres for the SSG 69 , IT depends in which country you live in as too , which calibre is most used in that country etc .

I know that the SSG was/is made in at least 4 calibres , 22-250 , 243 , 7mm08 & 308 .

Why 7mm08 , its for the French market , I beleive , as they class the 308 as Mil round and its basically restricted .

In the UK , the SSG is most often seen in 22-250 where its used as a Varmint rifle , then its 308 and lastly the 243 in the UK market .

Later Chris

Thanks for the info. Gonna have to think if its worth putting the money in this.

The stock is NOT durable. The magazines are far from durable. The trigger guard did not provide me with a sense of security.

The accuracy was phenomenal.

I had the PIIK (package with the Hensoldt scope).