• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steyr SSG 69 P1 Double Set Trigger Adjustment?

DurangoAl

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2023
Durango, CO
I was able to find an older manual for my 'new' SSG 69, but all it says about adjusting the double trigger is 'send it to a gunsmith'. I see one adjustment screw between the triggers. Anyone know how to adjust these triggers? Mostly, I want to increase the weight of the of the front trigger. Man, if you just think about that trigger it goes off! Also, is there a travel adjustment?

Thank you!

If I remember correctly, it has been app 40 years, you can turn the screw clockwise until the front trigger get a regular, almost direct, single stage pull. The rear set trigger will then not be operational.
I shot field target comps with a Steyr SL varmint in 222rem in the 80'ies and that rifle had the same triggergroup as the SSG69. As I said "if I remember correctly.."

Reactions: DurangoAl
I didn't have any instructions with mine. You can certainly adjust the pull yourself. I just loaded a couple mags with Snap Caps, worked the action and spun the screw. The front trigger only adjusts from "insanely" light to "crazy light" when used in conjunction with the rear set trigger. Best practice is to use the pad of your trigger finger to "brush" the side of the trigger instead of a typical pull. Not the best option for a hunting rifle unless you get really good and comfortable with it.

I didn't have any instructions with mine. You can certainly adjust the pull yourself. I just loaded a couple mags with Snap Caps, worked the action and spun the screw. The front trigger only adjusts from "insanely" light to "crazy light" when used in conjunction with the rear set trigger. Best practice is to use the pad of your trigger finger to "brush" the side of the trigger instead of a typical pull. Not the best option for a hunting rifle unless you get really good and comfortable with it.

thanks, I will give it a try

Reactions: WaywardSon
Found the factory manual for the SSG 69 models. Trigger adjustment is on page 31 & 32. Steyr says the double set trigger is set "optimal" at the factory and should not be messed with. Probably lawyer talk.
Since you are a new SSG 69 owner, just a couple of important tips:
  • Be VERY careful with what solvent you use for cleaning. Use only Hoppes #9. Other stuff out there will eat the polymer stock, mag well / trigger guard and mags. That can be a VERY EXPENSIVE mistake to make. I have used Hoppes #9 without issue for years, but I am still careful with it. Lube and a light wipe down with Break Free CLP will keep it running and looking like a champ.
  • Loaded magazines: DO NOT drop one! The rotary mags are one of the weak points for the SSG 69. They are fragile, expensive to replace and spare parts for them are like hens teeth. They work, but you have to be careful with 'em.
I read your post about optics. You were given a great original setup that a bunch of current and future SSG 69 owners would strive to own. I hope you decide to leave it that way. The value of these setups are only going up.

Enough babble. Here is the manual:

Steyr SSG 69 Owners Manual

Attachments

• BA-STEYR-SSG-69-PI-PII-PIV-EU-03-eng-de-1-BA-01010-1.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 145
Found the factory manual for the SSG 69 models. Trigger adjustment is on page 31 & 32. Steyr says the double set trigger is set "optimal" at the factory and should not be messed with. Probably lawyer talk.
Since you are a new SSG 69 owner, just a couple of important tips:
  • Be VERY careful with what solvent you use for cleaning. Use only Hoppes #9. Other stuff out there will eat the polymer stock, mag well / trigger guard and mags. That can be a VERY EXPENSIVE mistake to make. I have used Hoppes #9 without issue for years, but I am still careful with it. Lube and a light wipe down with Break Free CLP will keep it running and looking like a champ.
  • Loaded magazines: DO NOT drop one! The rotary mags are one of the weak points for the SSG 69. They are fragile, expensive to replace and spare parts for them are like hens teeth. They work, but you have to be careful with 'em.
I read your post about optics. You were given a great original setup that a bunch of current and future SSG 69 owners would strive to own. I hope you decide to leave it that way. The value of these setups are only going up.

Enough babble. Here is the manual:

Steyr SSG 69 Owners Manual

Thank you very much! Yes, I am very tempted to replace the bottom metal. I priced the STYRIA ARMS metal so I could convert to standard mags, runs about $500, which hurts. Reached out to Dr Stangelove on this site, but no reply.

On optics, I am definitely keeping the original scope and mounts with the gun, I'm just guessing that I will want more power than the 6x for elk hunting. That said, my local range only goes out to 100 meters, so I don't really know how well I will hit with the OEM scope at longer ranges yet, but it sure as hell hits at 100m!
I hear you, I will go put some rounds through it at longer ranges before I make a change. That said, I don't really care about keeping stuff in it's original state if it can be improved. Just dropped a Jewell trigger in a 1976 Rem 700 BDL and wouldn't ever go back. That same gun had a pre-1974 Leupold 12x on it that I sold and bought a new Leupold that's has much better glass. Although the HK originalists told me not to touch my HK91, had Triggerworks do that trigger and it's massively better.

Thanks again for the manual, much appreciated.

I sometimes used my private SSG69 in the Norwegian National Guard in the 80'ies, We prepared for being occupied by the Soviet union and based all weapons using Raufoss NM60 147gr NATO ball in a SHTF scenario. The SSG69 would perform exactly like the rifle in the video with the Raufoss ammo. If we sorted ammo, using a concentricity tool that measures bullet runoff and only shot "straight" cartridges, the SSG69 would shoot .5 - .7 moa. Not bad with MG-ammo pulled from belts. Superduper straight BR-barrels will not shoot as well with NATO ball.

I used the same rifle, topped with a Weaver T10 or a T16 in original Steyr QD mounts, to compete in 500m Metallic Silhouette with the same Raufoss NM60 ball. Personal record with this combo was 33/40.

I sometimes joke with local PRS-shooters and ask what scores they have shooting 500m MS ( or 100m/22lr) with their PRS-rifles :cool:

Last edited:
Love the ssg 69 i owned two of them great shooting rifles,wish i would have kept one we all know how that goes, i think i still have a stock and extra parts and some magazines for them enjoy shooting yours.

RobSki shows off what what the SSG 69 P1 with 6x Kahles ZF69 can do. At 700 yards, it is a drill:

Well, he certainly gets it done. Right at 21 mins in the video shows the sight picture with the 6x, and that's what I was struggling with, I'm crying for more magnification at those longer ranges, but, apparently, I just need to be a better shot!

I had to go to my gunsmith for something else, so took the SSG to play with the trigger. That one screw you have on the double trigger adjusts the pre-travel of the front trigger, didn't really effect pull weight. When you turn the screw, you can see the front trigger moving. While I wanted a heavier pull, I like it a lot better set to max travel. Before it was set to no travel, so went off when you thought about the front trigger. Now I feel better about my control. Thanks for the input, y'all!