• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steyr SSG 69 PI

hoser45

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2009
I'm sure this has been covered before but I'm off to dinner and some threads are usually old. Anyone own one of these? I like the iron sight option if this is versatile enough to use as a hunting rifle too. Thoughts and opinions?

Re: Steyr SSG 69 PI

I owned a PII so no irons but the 6X42 Kahles scope would be great for hunting or target use. I can't see any reason why the rifle wouldn't be fine for hunting use with irons or low power scopes for wide angle viewing. A friend has been hunting with an FN sporting a holosight so the 69 should be great.

Frank

I have a very early pre Gun South P1 w/the iron sights and the Khales ZF69
6X German #1 post reticle scope and it has harvested it's share of deer, and
more coyotes then I care to count. It rides in my truck and does not get babied.
I will have this rifle for ever.
If your looking at one and it is priced right, buy it you wont be disappointed .

Have they discontinued this model? How do these compare to a custom Remington 700?

Not discontinued, still available on Steyr sight. Apples VS Oranges discussion,
Steyr was purpose built sniper from 60's for what we call a designated marksman application now. It is basically a 600-maybe 800yd rifle, though they are used at longer range by some.
Remington can be anything you want and can afford it to be, limited only by the chambering you choose, and glass you use. My 2 cents

They are one of the BEST rifles right out of the box as far as accuracy. The barrel is cold Hammer-forged.. I've owned several variations and they all performed fantastically! IMHO the down-side to the SSG is the plastic parts. The stock is too flexible and can touch the barrel on a hot day if you're using a bipod. (Had it happen... Played hell on the accuracy). The trigger guard/magazine-well is also plastic and cracks easily if you over-tighten it. The magazines are also plastic and crack with age. Don't get me wrong, I loved mine and would like to own another some day. Just wanted to give you my observations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are one of the BEST rifles right out of the box as far as accuracy. The barrel is cold Hammer-forged.. I've owned several variations and they all performed fantastically! IMHO the down-side to the SSG is the plastic parts. The stock is too flexible and can touch the barrel on a hot day if you're using a bipod. (Had it happen... Played hell on the accuracy). The trigger guard/magazine-well is also plastic and cracks easily if you over-tighten it. The magazines are also plastic and crack with age. Don't get me wrong, I loved mine and would like to own another some day. Just wanted to give you my observations. </div></div>

Do they make a good, solid aftermarket stock for this rifle...like McMillan?

Do you find the barrel length a disadvantage when hunting (too long)?

I had a SSG P1 double set trigger for many years and I used it for hunting. It was very accurate - 3/4 MOA on the bench but I used it mainly for hunting and it has killed many a deer. I sold it this year because I needed money for a build. Kind of regret it but that is how it goes with gun ADD.

McMillan does make a stock for it but when I was researching it I thought it was just too expensive for what I use the rifle for so I chose to keep it "stock" so to speak.

Yes, McMillan does make a very nice stock for the SSG as stated above. I thought it was kinda' expensive too but now I'd be getting one if I still had an SSG. I did have one that came from the factory with an HS Precision stock. The model was "PIII Match". That one is the one I regret selling but it still had the plastic mags and plastic trigger-guard/magazine-well.

I never hunted with any of mine but they were all very handy and would have done well for that application. They're a lot lighter than my 40x in a McMillan A5!

...FWIW

So if you were to get it again, would you go for double triggers or single trigger or no preference?

I would get a single trigger myself because that's what I'm more comfortable with. I've had both on an SSG and once you set that double trigger it seems like the mere heat from your finger-tip makes it go! It's THAT soft! The single trigger Steyr uses is very adjustable and breaks very clean. It's all personal preference.

I also prefer the single trigger, it is infinitely adjustable in the hands of a very knowledgeable gunsmith. Mine was adjusted to a 2 stage by Derrick Martin of
Accuracy Speaks Gunsmithing in Mesa Az.
It is a historic rifle in a way and very capable for it's design

I have a P2 with factory iron sights & the Kahles ZF84. Before anyone asks it is a P2 that was sent back to GSI for install of the iron sights; one of the Austrians working there found 2 sets of irons that fit the P2 barrel profile, one set was installed on mine & one set installed on my friends. Very capable rifle but as other have mentioned the plastic guard is cheasy. I'm looking into replacing it with a metal trigger guard that Emouse has a post on. I prefer the double trigger. Use the set trigger on the bench & the unset for hunting. Both pull weights are adjustable. As for the stock, McMillan is a good replacement but i won't be upgrading to it anytime soon. I've had mine for over 16 years & haven't had any stock or magazine issues yet. I did break one trigger guard though.

If you are like me and have smaller hands, DO NOT get the double trigger. The set trigger is the rear one, the release trigger is in the front, positioned farther forward than the single trigger would be. Although I love the idea of a double trigger, the front trigger in a double trigger setup takes my hand out of ideal position on the stock to reach it. Awkward for me. Fortunately the single trigger is really good on the Steyr and I've never wanted to mess with it. Great right out of the box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRYFOX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are like me and have smaller hands, DO NOT get the double trigger. The set trigger is the rear one, the release trigger is in the front, positioned farther forward than the single trigger would be. Although I love the idea of a double trigger, the front trigger in a double trigger setup takes my hand out of ideal position on the stock to reach it. Awkward for me. Fortunately the single trigger is really good on the Steyr and I've never wanted to mess with it. Great right out of the box. </div></div>

Thanks for that. I do have smaller hands. Good point!

I've got pretty small hands and I had the double set trigger setup on my rifle. I really liked it. I'd say that if you are planning on just punching paper the set trigger is the way to go. If you are going out in the field its probably not such a good idea to use the set trigger. On the other hand you don't have to set the trigger if you don't want to. My trigger pull was 3lb 2oz unset and 11 oz set. Once you get used to it the light trigger is really nice.

Just another opinion.

Frank

I have the double set trigger on my SSG 69 PI and very much love it. It is my number 1 go-to .308. With extra mags and the Steyr Picatinny rail adapter I can run just about any set up I want to on this rifle!

For the Steyr lovers, I have one, 1985 date, with wood stock. Despite the advertizing, I have yet to see any amazing groups at any distance with Scenars, Bergers and a lot of reloading experience.........what's your best powder?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xray9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the Steyr lovers, I have one, 1985 date, with wood stock. Despite the advertizing, I have yet to see any amazing groups at any distance with Scenars, Bergers and a lot of reloading experience.........what's your best powder? </div></div>

I had excellent results with Lake city LR marked M118LR long range match brass, 175gr sierra matchkings and 42.5gr of RL15. Thats the basic M118LR match round load. The bullets were seated .015" off the rifling. Groups at 100yds were dime size or smaller. I never tried any of the lapua or berger bullets. I did try some 168gr SMK's but I was loading with Varget powder at that time and hadn't really found a load that worked yet. My rifle was built in 86 or 87. I did have the set trigger which made a huge difference for me. Without setting the trigger I could see the rifle move as I pulled the trigger. Its amazing what happens when you get used to light trigger.

Frank

Guess I've had good luck, have owned 2 PIIs and one PIIk. All were 1/4 moa. 168MK, 46.0g Varget, 2.885" AOL.

Over the years I've sold the PIIs but kept the PIIk. It is a ringer among ringers. Best out of box rifle you can get. These and my Blaser are the only factory rifles I have not touched in any way to shoot better.

I've had my PII for 8yrs. Awesome in midrange matches. Used it for whitetail 2 seasons. My only complaint is it gets pretty heavy when packing it all day. As far as accuracy-outstanding,it will shoot M852 and FedGM under 1moa. And she loves Nosler custom compitition 155's w/ 46g of Varget.

Hi guys got a 308 ssg police, keeps breaking magwells and mags. 5 magwells and 4 mags over the years,everytime it was freezing cold and doing rapid shots eg Mcqueen target.goes from interlocking to looking like 1/4 choke shotgun. tryed the new magwell with metal in it but the stock flexsn like a fiddlers elbow it puts the well under too much compression. in 1 of some one elses posts they talk of a metal triggerguard assembly? and useing a 10 round mag? very interested as my lady bought it for me so will not part with it. cheers guys

Revitalizing an old thread.

I have an SSG 69 coming and need input from you SSG 69 gurus out there.

The rifle I bought has 1-inch factory rings on it. I bought a scope base from Steyr that does not specify the cant (MOA). I remember reading somewhere that the scope base itself has 0 MOA, but the receiver on SSG 69 was already machined with 20 MOA cant, so there would be 20 MOA angle once I use a Steyr base. Have anyone gone through this route and gotten first hand experience?

Thanks!