• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steyr SSG-69?

dogma338

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2020
Anyone built up the cheek piece/weld on a Steyr SSG/69. Just looking for ideas. Don’t know about drilling into the stock. I’m curious what’s in there..

What jbell said. Don't try to cut the issue stock as it was built for different times.

Reactions: dogma338
Anyone built up the cheek piece/weld on a Steyr SSG/69. Just looking for ideas. Don’t know about drilling into the stock. I’m curious what’s in there..
Nothing in there but fresh air; drilled mine for an Australian bolt-on adjustable cheek rest.

Thanks for the suggestion. Did your SSG typically shoot low with a clean bore, gradually tracking back to zero after several rounds? I’ve seen this in two SSGs.
thx

Thanks for the suggestion. Did your SSG typically shoot low with a clean bore, gradually tracking back to zero after several rounds? I’ve seen this in two SSGs.
thx
Hi. I have two and have never had that problem or heard of it before. I clean after every session.

Attachments

• 1A9AA14A-8FC3-4304-A6DC-3A7619AACDF5.jpeg
    1A9AA14A-8FC3-4304-A6DC-3A7619AACDF5.jpeg
    502.6 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: aam
Yes, I sent the first one back to Steyr so they could evaluate it. They had no idea. Once the bore was fouled it would shoot one hole groups with match ammo. My first one came with a khales optic. This is my current rifle with a vortex.
DEC32BDA-AC55-48BE-ADAD-286404394516.jpeg

Reactions: aam
They are good looking rifles aren't they? I have read (Nathan Foster, New Zealand) that some bores require a degree of copper fouling to perform at their best and that in such cases it is best not to clean down to the bare metal. The other solution might be coating your bullets with hexagonal boron nitride, with which I am currently experimenting, or would be if allowed out of the house!
My first SSG fired many thousands of rounds before I finally had to rebarrel it, possible as many as 10,000!

Very nice,
McMillan or Hogue? Also looks like factory rings/mount if memory serves me. Mine, if I’m having a good day...

Attachments

• 62C11922-7077-44CE-9208-82B6E0C13801.jpeg
    62C11922-7077-44CE-9208-82B6E0C13801.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 89
Beautiful setup, congrats on being a gun owner in the U.K. I was there last Oct. They took my pocketknife at Heathrow..🤣

We loved the U.K. We circled the whole Isle. Mom’s family were MacKay’s from Northern Scotland. In the countryside, I never felt safer or more at home....👍🏻

DV is that a Styria Arms steel trigger guard? I'm envious! I've eye'd those for a number of years, but couldn't justify the cost, even after my original factory plastic guard broke, as they are prone to. I was able to get multiple replacements, but they are factory plastic also. it's made me reluctant to shoot my 1st gen SSG-69. Very nice rifles you have there!

Hi, yes it is, managed to get one second hand. It's a superb piece of Austrian over-engineering weighing 3lbs! Not ideal for a rifle you intend to carry around. My shortened SSG has an 'accurizer' which is a steel bushing let into the action screw hole in the trigger guard. It acts like the pillar in a pillar bedded rifle and stops the plastic being crushed. Expensive but it does come with a new trgger guard/mag well.

dogma338, if you remove the steyr buttplate and spacers you can see the hollow construction of the stock. You might consider the Victor Co Universal Cheekrest Titan Cheekrest . I have one on their 10/22 stock and it is pretty solid and easy to install; it does require drilling two holes in the top of the stock, if that's a concern. Multiple spacers can be used to adjust height.

DV, the accurizer modification is interesting, but my trigger guard broke at the two side magazine detents and would no longer hold the rotary magazine fully. I really like the ability to use AI mags in the Steyr with the Styria Arms, but for the $500+ US and shipping/ customs charges, I can't really justify. They are very rare here in the US. I've had my Steyr since the early 1980s and plastics technology of that era is notorious for age embrittlement. I fear parts will become unavailable with production ended and bought 3 factory trigger guards while they are available.

I have a tip about CNC machined aluminium bottom metal to take the original magazines. Waiting for a reply.

Yes please, This being my most recent and only steyr I’d like to keep it shooting. I’ve found both Steyrs I’ve owned to be the most accurate out-of-box rifles I’ve had the opportunity to shoot.

I have a tip about CNC machined aluminium bottom metal to take the original magazines. Waiting for a reply.

Not sure if that’s from my efforts! I’m currently working through production of a CNC replacement magazine housing that will accept the original mags, along with a couple of other guys in the UK. We’ve had a few 3D printed prototypes made to test fit and function. Waiting to hear back now about a price for having a quantity machined out of 7075-T6 aluminium.

Here are some pics of the latest plastic housing:

7459B3D3-F769-411F-9058-4B8C4631B2F0.jpeg

9B036046-D02F-4C0D-BD40-5D8F92AC5FCA.jpeg

4325F6A6-A700-4FA7-928A-596D73DE1340.jpeg

9BC06FA3-B36A-4764-B8BC-57382B3D9BA8.jpeg

91023FAA-5015-4C9C-BD7C-74C0BAF1D9A8.jpeg

Looks good to me. I would like to see it in aluminum when you get to that point. My steyr is new/old stock, but I’m sure at some time I’ll be looking for one. Also hoping ur development price isn’t extreme...

Looks good to me. I would like to see it in aluminum when you get to that point. My steyr is new/old stock, but I’m sure at some time I’ll be looking for one. Also hoping ur development price isn’t extreme...

Thanks, will definitely post pictures of the completed version.

No, thus far it’s been surprisingly cheap. We’ll also probably explore options to use AICS magazines with it in the future.

If you are already doing it from scratch. Why not go AICS mags instead?
conversion_kit_grande.jpg

Reactions: jayffm
If you are already doing it from scratch. Why not go AICS mags instead?
conversion_kit_grande.jpg

I didn't have any AICS magazines to hand! Also this is serving as a proof of concept in terms of the whole 3D model of the original housing before getting it 3D printed and then CNC machined. My friendly 3D CAD monkey is fairly happy to look at converting it to take AICS magazines in the future. We should be able to get that 3D printed as well to test function. If that works, and assuming it isn't too close in comparison to the Styria version, we could go ahead with production of it.

Any thought to having them 3D printed using metal? Your p-o-c parts look pretty good, and 3D metal printing technology has really advanced recently; might be more cost effective than CNC and the additional toolpath programming.

3d printing metal is still way more expensive than CNC cutting, for now, that is why it's only used for really complex geometries there it would be hard or impossible to machine

Yep, exactly what Mr BR said. I got a couple of quotations from companies in Europe but they were asking for as much as the Styria version costs. I don’t mean to disparage their work or the skill and experience needed to actually make it but we don’t want this to cost the earth!

My contact in South Africa who had already produced CNC machined bottom metal proved to be extremely reluctant to ship to the UK. Can't say I blame him but I checked with Customs and there doesn't appear to be any impediment.

My contact in South Africa who had already produced CNC machined bottom metal proved to be extremely reluctant to ship to the UK. Can't say I blame him but I checked with Customs and there doesn't appear to be any impediment.

Ah that’s interesting. I don’t see there being an issue in importing but there might be!

Were the bottom metals for the SSG or another rifle?

By way of an update, we’re currently working on making this compatible with double trigger SSG 69s as well. They’ll be slightly behind the single trigger versions but I hope it won’t take too long if anyone would like one!

Reactions: WaywardSon
if you want a cheap idea you could wrap a towel around the stock or purchase a slip on cheek rest I like the towel in summer its nice to have if you sweet in the heat and humidity also it can double when damp to wrap around your barrel seems to help keep mine cooler at least in direct sun light and we had a lot of them at the house so the though was not really a hard one .

The rest of the batch is here! Unfortunately there will be a delay to them being vapour honed and anodised but hopefully it won’t take too long! They all fit and function perfectly.

Attachments

• 97B25814-B978-4896-AE77-672977F2BF46.jpeg
    97B25814-B978-4896-AE77-672977F2BF46.jpeg
    271.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 25D9B562-0302-4D0B-9858-794087011E43.jpeg
    25D9B562-0302-4D0B-9858-794087011E43.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 7630AF67-ED37-44FF-89EE-77D64720D903.jpeg
    7630AF67-ED37-44FF-89EE-77D64720D903.jpeg
    284.8 KB · Views: 120
  • A265881E-C931-4AA0-92F3-2AC7401A0629.jpeg
    A265881E-C931-4AA0-92F3-2AC7401A0629.jpeg
    242.5 KB · Views: 191
Looks great! Forgive my ignorance, but was the installation difficult?

Looks great! Forgive my ignorance, but was the installation difficult?

Not at all - it’s an almost drop in fit. They may require a slight amount of stock fettling but all this took in mine was a very slight push to seat it down.

My stock has had a lot more wear than usual as of late with all the different prototypes!

Reactions: WaywardSon