• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

STEYR SSG 69PII Police

ruth

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2010
I have the opportunity to get a Steyr SSG PII Police in 308 with 25.6" barrel with single trigger. What's the verdict with these rifles, are they any good or pass their time?

Re: STEYR SSG 69PII Police

The one thing I don't like is that the barrels are pressed on
or some form making it non serviceable barrel wise for a regular
smith. Most people of course will not ever shoot one out. The
double trigger version is the way to go in my book but I don't know
if they still offer them. The one I have is from the early 90's.

They are one of the BEST rifles right out of the box as far as accuracy. The barrel is cold hammer forged and the bore is chrome lined so it will go 10,000+ rounds. I've owned several variations and they all performed fantastically! IMHO the down-side to the SSG is the plastic parts. The stock is too flexible and can touch the barrel on a hot day if you're using a bipod. (Had it happen... Played hell on the accuracy). The trigger guard/magazine well is also plastic and cracks easily if you over-tighten it. The magazines are also plastic and crack with age. Don't get me wrong, I loved mine and would like to own another some day. Just wanted to give you my observations. If you found one for less than $1200 you're in good shape.

The only other thing that was a little annoying to me was the scope mounting options. The Steyr rings are the best to use but I think the "so-called" 1" ones are really 26mm so they don't fit all 1" scope tubes exactly right and the 30mm rings are rare as hen's teeth and very expensive. Also no cant to them.

Benchmark barrels will pull your old Steyr barrel and then thread the action for "normal" barrels.

The plastic was one of the reasons I was willing to let mine go. They are excellent rifles.

If your used to a Rem 700 or Win 70 the rear locking lugs may feel clunky to you when running the bolt.

Great rifle with excellent accuracy, chrome line barrel which extends life significantly. If you can get it for a good price, I would definitely grab it.

The SSG69 is a classic, however still contemporary in many ways. I have had three over the years and whilst they are an acquired taste, all shot well. There are now a couple of base/mounting options available that provide for a pic rail if you need to change. The Steyr QD mount set up is pretty good though.

If you are looking for a quality piece, or something a little different and not into tinkering with shit...the SSG69 PI are great just the way they are.

Go for it, have a play and you wont die wondering!

SH

Excellent rifles,...stunningly accurate out of the box. Picatinny rail is available as standard. McMillan do a specific stock for the SSG that makes a great rifle even better.Barrels are easy to cut/bore out and then thread the receiver as and when you finally shoot one out. The rifles aren't expensive so by then it may make sense to just buy another.

Get one,..you will love it.

very very accurate, I have the rifle JFComfort was talking about, the bolt is butter smooth, and the rifle has shot everything I have put in it extremely well, I would not hesitate to put a ssg up against many of the custom rifles I have seen in terms of accuracy

All the extras that you may need are in fact available,...McMillan SSG specific stock, 20MOA Picatinny rail, even a quad rail thats full length for NV users.Clamp on brakes are available too.

The original 10rnd box mags are rare as hens teeeth BUT replacement bottom metal that takes AICS 10 round mags is available.

The rifles out of the box are hellish accurate and to get anything better you would have to spend serious money on paying a gunsmith to modify/correct an alternative action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All the extras that you may need are in fact available,...McMillan SSG specific stock, 20MOA Picatinny rail, even a quad rail thats full length for NV users.Clamp on brakes are available too.

The original 10rnd box mags are rare as hens teeeth BUT replacement bottom metal that takes AICS 10 round mags is available.

The rifles out of the box are hellish accurate and to get anything better you would have to spend serious money on paying a gunsmith to modify/correct an alternative action. </div></div>

Being in the UK you may not know that here in the U.S. it's been extremely difficult to get anything from Steyr (At least that was my experience a couple years ago. Hopefully that's changed.) I called Steyr USA on many occasions looking for replacement parts to no avail. As far as aftermarket parts, I just wasn't willing to pay the high prices for SSG stuff or wait the months for a McMillan stock. I did have one SSG that was the one I should have kept. It was called an SSG PIII MATCH Rifle. It was in an HS Precision Stock and had a special rail on it for a Walther Peep-sight. Also had a dove-tail mount for a front globe sight. Still had the plastic Mag-well and magazines though. I really miss that rifle!

Emouse,

This is my first posting here - ever ! Newbie for sure !

Your last post really caught my attention : "...BUT replacement bottom metal that takes AICS 10 round mags is available". Never heard or read about it - and that is BIG news, I say.

PM sent.

wait months for Mc Millan stock???

the SSG specific stock is available ex-stock ( no pun intended) from McMillan right now. In fact they have a batch up on their specials page.

Spares??? What did you break that needed spares???

Did you try Steyr direct in Austria? They are normally very helpfull.

I am sure we would all like to know more about that AICS mag conversion. News to me as well and I own four of em.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wait months for Mc Millan stock???

the SSG specific stock is available ex-stock ( no pun intended) from McMillan right now. In fact they have a batch up on their specials page.

Spares??? What did you break that needed spares???

Did you try Steyr direct in Austria? They are normally very helpfull. </div></div>
The last SSG I owned was a couple years ago so my information is admittedly dated. When I was looking for a stock there was a 4 month wait.
As far as "spares" you better get a trigger-guard/magazine-well because it WILL break. Also, magazines WILL crack with age. Like I said, I love the SSG but it certainly has short-comings. Why would I call Austria when there's a "Steyr USA"? FWIW I did call Austria trying to research my PIII Match but they were not helpful at all. Apparently they don't keep records of rifles they've made.

unfortunately many US distributors ( not just steyr) are happy to take orders but reluctant to keep any stock. This results in lengthy waits for parts etc.

If you need a part then either factory direct or any European main distributor will sort you out quick.

McMillan make custom stocks albeit the SSG and SBS amongst a few others are standard items. Custom means just that,..it takes time to make and deliver.

The original 10 round box mags haven't been made in many years, hence the adaptation to bottom metal and AICS mags.

Do you happen to have pictures of this "new" bottom metal and where to get it? If it's made of actual metal instead of plastic I'm sure many SSG owners here in the U.S. Would be all over it! Even if it's not, the fact that you can use something other than Steyr's plastic magazine is huge!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great rifle with excellent accuracy, chrome line barrel which extends life significantly. If you can get it for a good price, I would definitely grab it. </div></div>
Not chrome lined!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great rifle with excellent accuracy, chrome line barrel which extends life significantly. If you can get it for a good price, I would definitely grab it. </div></div>
Not chrome lined! </div></div>

Deleted!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great rifle with excellent accuracy, chrome line barrel which extends life significantly. If you can get it for a good price, I would definitely grab it. </div></div>

Sorry, But Yes they absolutely are chrome lined. </div></div>

Well, Guess what? I was WRONG! I'll be the first to admit it! I just got off the phone with Steyr USA and the bore on an SSG69 is NOT CHROME LINED! Boy, that certainly flies in the face of almost everything you find when researching this! I've owned no less than 4 of these and thought all along that they were chrome-lined. Apparently there are some older SSG's that have chrome-lined chambers but none have chrome-lined bores! WOW!... Just WOW! My apologies to Turk for doubting you...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Steyr rings are the best to use but I think the "so-called" 1" ones are really 26mm so they don't fit all 1" scope tubes exactly right and the 30mm rings are rare as hen's teeth and very expensive.</div></div>

Steyr made both 26mm and 1" rings for the SSG. They look almost identical without measuring instruments so it's easy to confuse the two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great rifle with excellent accuracy, chrome line barrel which extends life significantly. If you can get it for a good price, I would definitely grab it. </div></div>

Sorry, But Yes they absolutely are chrome lined. </div></div>

Well, Guess what? I was WRONG! I'll be the first to admit it! I just got off the phone with Steyr USA and the bore on an SSG69 is NOT CHROME LINED! Boy, that certainly flies in the face of almost everything you find when researching this! I've owned no less than 4 of these and thought all along that they were chrome-lined. Apparently there are some older SSG's that have chrome-lined chambers but none have chrome-lined bores! WOW!... Just WOW! My apologies to Turk for doubting you... </div></div>
No worries, they do look like it, but....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: i_rep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am sure we would all like to know more about that AICS mag conversion. News to me as well and I own four of em. </div></div>
What is the deal? Is there really an AICS conversion kit for the Steyr SSG? If so, I'd really like that information!

If anyone wants info on the AICS kit send me a PM. I will do my best to distribute the info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anyone wants info on the AICS kit send me a PM. I will do my best to distribute the info. </div></div>

PM sent for information

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johndoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one thing I don't like is that the barrels are pressed on
if they still offer them. The one I have is from the early 90's. </div></div>
The ones that are threaded for a suppressor are not press shrink fit; they are threaded.

Had a SSG69 in the late 80's. Awesome design features, that was definitely ahead of its time. Definitely not a chrome-lined bore (the factory literature at the time said that it WAS chrome-lined, but GunSouth set the record straight), as mine got a layer of rust after an extended time in the field using "match" ammunition given to me from a friend who I trusted to know better. Also, my firing pin broke TWICE. If you look at the firing pin after disassembly, you will note the very acute change in shape at the tip--almost needle-shaped (not tapered like a Remington 700 for example). When I sent it back to the GunSouth distributer in Birmingham, Alabama, the factory gunsmith said that there was nothing wrong with my bolt/firing pin specs. After the second broken firing pin, I sold it. Could not trust it. Still sad that I had to let it go...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txpathfinder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the AICS mag conversions legit. Has any body tried them. </div></div>

Never used them but sent PM & E-mail for more info to Emouse. Last response was on December 7th. Still waiting on data.

Same for me. Last E-mail from Emouse was on December 4th. Still waiting on data.

Guys,please bear with me. The manufacturer is putting together a .pdf info sheet to distribute. This will be a new run specifically for the Steyr. I have an email list for all those interested and will circulate to all those that enquired shortly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you happen to have pictures of this "new" bottom metal and where to get it? If it's made of actual metal instead of plastic I'm sure many SSG owners here in the U.S. Would be all over it! Even if it's not, the fact that you can use something other than Steyr's plastic magazine is huge!</div></div>

Still debating steel over hard anodised aluminum. Steel may add too much weight albeit that it will stand up better to extreme use?

Emouse,

Bear with you ? Sure ! It's just that we are a bit eager to see what that Steyr SSG 69 bottom metal looks like.

I much prefer to wait as long as you do it right.

STEYR01.jpg

Something to look at while you are waiting,...taken this Saturday at Bisley on Centuary Range. Steyr O8, SSGP2 and the elusive SSG04A1. There should be a P4 joining this group shortly,...

Finally I have the go ahead on release of the info: see below.

SSG69-2011n.jpg

Please note: The manufacturer cannot accomadate single orders, as its simply not commercially viable. He can "queue" your order or alternatively I can collate orders until we have 10+ and then get them made and delivered speedily. The choice is yours, the wait is worth it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johndoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one thing I don't like is that the barrels are pressed on
if they still offer them. The one I have is from the early 90's. </div></div>
The ones that are threaded for a suppressor are not press shrink fit; they are threaded. </div></div>

wrong,..the barrel itself is pressed into th ereceiver. the flash eliminator assembley is screwed onto the barrel.This is clearly shown in current user handbook.

Well its ironic that its a german firm again putting stuff into production.steyr should have their arses kicked that gun has been a nightmare over the years. when it shoots well its a dream,when it dont you cant believe how awful it can be/5 magwells 4 magazines could of paid for a remmy on bits alone,hahaha. As my Lady spent Her hard earned money it is a stick with it till I drop,and well done darling keep buying me guns cheers 12 bore

amazing,..what are u doing to your rifle???

To date many thousands have been used in Police and Military service yet very few indeed suffer the problem u mention once let alone repeatedly????

The mags are an issue,..hence the development of something new.

Steyr moved on,..if u want the latest then buy an 04A1 or the 08.

what I am Doing is shooting it,every time it breaks it on rapid fire eg the Mcqueen and the temperature is 0 minus a few degrees. Have tryed torque up before shooting 58lb" inches. Have noticed the stock is very shiny on the bedding areas but its like almost as if its not being held and the magwell is doing all the work. what iam in the prcess of now is putting a recoil lug into the front of the action and maybe the macmillan stock. As for steyr have moved on its more correct to say ignored and still make for sale as is! without any change to spec.// I know of at least 5 problem guns and 20 or so just fine? Oh and by the way I won a gold medal 100/200/300 yds with this gun when it shoots its a dream when it dont??////Oh and I checked that the screws are not bottoming out,cheers 12 bore

Actually , I donot like the new 04 & 08 Steyrs at all.

And its well known that the stock , mag & trigger guard are the reall weak links in this system .

In the NZ Army trials back in 1991 , the guys broke the stock thru the wrist area while on a stalk , also talked to them about other problems , and they said they had big problems , with the rifle having a a big POI change when the gun was wet or dry .

This option is good new to most Steyr SSG users , I would like some one to make a alloy folder that also uses AI mags , that would rock .

Later Chris

don't torque down hard on PLASTIC. Thats where the problem lies!

Yes,..McMillan stock is an excellent option.

Have u used the 04A1 or 08?

The 08 is an alloy stocked/chassis with decent mags.

POI shift in wet/dry??? How??? There is zero warp in the phenolic stock. Aluminium mounts on steel receiver perhaps or just duff scope??

Yes I agree that you dont torque down hard on plastic but under 5 foot lbs is not surely too much? this is why I use a torque screwdriver of a good make I;m a an ex mechanic. looking at this gun it has much too much slack between stock and action,and yes I should have put my back into sorting this out but that is what is now happening//we have already cut off the barrel and reinserted 1 ,this was because after 25 shots it took forever to clean out the copper and the gun had only shot4000 rounds, but the biggest shock was how deep a steyr action is over 2" thread I dread to think how much pressure would be required to blow it out. and thanks to Emouse i am in contact with styria arms cheers guys and never run out of ammo

Emouse,

I will get in touch with Styria Arms to gather more information (material used: aluminum alloy or steel, etc, etc).
They have a patent for this "MX Triggerguard" - looks like they are serious about it.
Come to think of it now, I am sure that I had read something about the Styria Arms Company and their SSG 69 triggerguard and I think that it was here on Sniper's Hide. Just don't know when exactly.
I hope that the good people at Styria Arms speak - and write - English because I do not speak German. I can barely speak English, so ...
May I ask you if you have one of those MX Triggerguards on your SSG 69 rifle ? Or have you seen one in the flesh ? If so, what about quality, fit, performance, etc ?

Does anyone know what the barrel twist rate is in the SSG69, specifically the 20" model? I was looking at one earlier today at a show.

As to wet & dry , have you ever been to NZ , it can and is bloodly wet alot of the time .

the comments where made to me by a couple of the testers , and I saw the photo on the wall at the School of Infantry in Waiouru ( showing the broken stock ) , they said they just kept the rifle wet all the time to factor out that variable .

They had no axe to grind , just saying what they found in testing in 1991 .

Don't get bent about it , they also broke a HS take down sniper rifle from the US , they claimed the barrel mech for the takedown barrel feature would last forever , so they got a soldier to assemble and dissemble it , until Opps it failed just under 900 cycles .

Later Chris

off the top of my head the PIV or P4 that is the short barreled one with screw off flash supressor i am pretty sure they are 10 twists the PII is a 12 twist and will not stabalise all 190gr projectiles well some will and others wont but the factory 190gr projectiles used for the PI were fairly short compared to a Sierra MatchKing so the best projectile i have found is the 175gr MatchKing i can load it to match the bullet drop compensator on the AKhles ZF84 10X42 scope perfectly where the 168 MAtchKings dont realy perform past 600 yards so the 175 is a great option. the 175 MAtchKings will also shoot in the PIV

Micheal at Styria asked me to field all enquiries for this project as answering dozens of emails etc would simply not be possible whilst running a hectic workshop and factory!

He looked at this before however wasted a lot of time on answering questions to people that where not prepared to pay what it costs.

Styria is well known for the quality it turns out and the R&D its done for other manufacturers.

I am happy to field any questions and gather orders as this should speed things along.

P2 is a 1-12 twist. The twist rate will stabilse lighter military ball along with up to 185gr ( in theory at least). 190gr won't stabilise.

The P4 is 1-10 as the rifle was designed for urban sniping/sub sonics. 190gr Bullets WILL stabilise in the P4.

My apologies for the earlier incorrect info.