• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

STEYR SSG 69PII Police

Re: STEYR SSG 69PII Police

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BTHP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know what the barrel twist rate is in the SSG69, specifically the 20" model? I was looking at one earlier today at a show.</div></div>

Read above,...the actual barrel length less trhe flash suppressor shroud is just 16.1"

You can download the user handbook direct of the Steyr english language home page.

At the moment waiting for replys from emouse and macmillan.As this gun is going to get sorted. Talking with gunsmith for Fox firearms who make Target rifles,these are the ones who put a new barrel in for me and a damn fine job done as well. The steyr not only has getting on for 2"thread but the action is 1.400" that one meaty lump it makes my Tikka t3 varmit look like spaggeti, Also they are going to mill the action and put in a forward recoil lug as lets be honest! letting the gun bounce around and only stopping right at the back to me is not sensible,this is why at the moment we await the allclear from macmillan?it must be benificial to always spread the load if possible?watch this space guys. An action as thick as this should be Ducksarse tight or is that slack?

Yep,..they bounce around sooooo much that they shoot better than 0.5 MOA straight out the box

If the gun is not bouncing around whats been breaking the magwells and mags? after all something is and always when 0 deg or minus?and if you look at the parts the cracks run forward from rear stud or the magazine has broken the locking catch at the narrows right where the spring pushs out.this suggests a compression fracture due to flex at the magazine cutout?putting these parts under load by crushing and pushing down and out. I have no axe to grind but,just stating what this has been for me, and I know of more just like it! Would I buy another Steyr?? not a chance in hell.but doesnt mean the rifles are not well engineered or not worth the money its like all things in life !when you have problems it depends on the help you get from the manufactures in this case not much. Just state the truth and stand by it. cheers all 12bore

You have been offered help in fact for free and on your doorstep,..u declined the offer. Furthermore Steyr was contacted direct on your behalf and stated that any rifle in the hands of its original owner would be repaired/replaced without question if a proven problem was found.

There is a reason why thousands are in use by satisfied shooters, professional and sport alike and its certainly not because of lousy engineering!

Some people just can't be helped I am afraid?

I must point out to emouse that (1)I am the original owner (2) This purchased from the importer SPORTSMANS GUN CO in Devon 26/05/98 (3)myself has paid for the following 3 magwells 2 magazines 1/5shot //1/10shot. (4) as for if not satisfied with the gun Steyr would replace this is a falsehood! (5) the gun was examined by NORMAN CLARK who make high grade target guns on 09/02/08 after 10 years of up and down preformance they concluded that the guns head space was at maximum,the magwells and magazines had failed yet again.(6) Some months later on 31/05/08 I finaly recieved 2 mags and 1 magwell FOC!due to mr Wurmgard at Steyr,I was exstatic.(7) bought11/05/2010 , after the Steyr magwell broke in that winter 2009) (8) !as a I go through my bills and find an earlier magwell purchase on 29/03/03 (9) cant find 2005/6 or any earlier on a average its 2 yrs or very cold weather or rapid shooting.(10)this does not yet include the latest 2010 failure 21/11/2010 during cold weather at present waiting on replacement being available? There are other things done like sending scope back to Leopold for service Also,replacement of scope rings 16/01/05 Steyr FO £154 it goes on and on,Stand tall( well 5ft6" )Tell it like it is and Bollocks to whomsoever doesnt like it 12 bore

I think its you thats talking bollocks,...if it was that bad you had the option at any time to return the rifle to the distributor for complete replacement. Instead you went to several other gunsmiths and had barrel replaced etc. Blaming the rifle for scope ring, scope and sundry other faults frankly makes you look somewhat stupid.

This was a thread about replacement bottom metal for the SSG for those of us that are happy and satisfied at standard rifles that shoot more than well out of the box. If you dont like the Steyr then buy a water pistol,...at least then if it breaks you won't bitch about the cost of replacement.

Dear Emouse if you look at the dates its after 10 yrs of problems. dealing with the SPORTSMANS AND SEVERAL letters to STEYR!!that the gun went to Norman Clark,whom I paid to check the rifle after a full clean!1 then 25 shots fired,the reports STATES extremly heavy copper fouling and the gun was at maximum head space.These would not do a Steyr barrel and neither would Border Barrels;;I informed Steyr that I was going to replace the barrel,as seen by the dates I recieved some 2 mags and a magwell from Steyr free of charge. Finaly in 2009 fox Firearms got someone to cut out and replace the Barrel,ONLY after I put it in writing to do so? the Schulz larsen shoots a dream and is so easy to clean its a joke how much Ive put up with over the years, still breaks magwells but not for long! We are in reciept of a Macmillan stock and a Email from mr davis saying they are quite happy at Macmillan for us to put in a forward recoil lug and cut a stop in the stock? As for not liking a std Steyr if I had my freinds which is 20 yrs old no problem love it to bits. The point Im making maybe poorly( as at 67yrs old this my 1st computor)is that like a current High grade car manufacture !is that times you get ignored.which makes the ignored feel less than happy with the situation, at least in my case it did not effect my health.As for blaming the scope rings etc I did not! as they where not Steyrs, so I purcased Steyrs I was trying to get a rreliable gun in adverse conditions? I can confidential say this is now being achieved and maybe perversly enjoying it cheers for noow 12bore

Bollocks ? Can you guys please speak english
laugh.gif

Put simply the man is an idiot.He has an axe to grind over his own stupidity and chooses to air it here.

some more toys for the SSG,..this time a four chamber brake.

DSCN0600.jpg

DSCN0599.jpg

DSCN0601.jpg

DSCN0603.jpg

If anyone wants details, please PM or email.

Those rifles are sweet, the action is really smooth, I had the chance to mess with one and i have to admit i was very impressed.
That brake lookes very well made if i had on i would get it for sure. Any chance of a brake like that for a rem700.

yes there is a threaded brake and a "slip on" made for the 700 series.

I shot the SSGP2 today with the brake pictured fitted. It substantially reduced the recoil, in fact to almost negligable. The blast to left and right was quite cacceptable to spotter and other firers. Cleaning the brake is easy. After over 100 rounds there was no sign of any movement of the brake at all.

Spotter noted literally no discernable muzzle movement on firing.Accuracy? It certainly didn't detract from the excellent accuracy the rifle ammo combo normally produces.

These things work!

If someone going for a group buy, if you can post some prices. I am interested in the MX trigger guard, but takes me some time to check on post as well comeing up with some money.

Hi Tx,..This is in effect a group buy. We will do a run as soon as there is sufficient interest. If you want to be included and receive updates please PM or email.

PM sent on Styria Trigger Guard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvader</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> PM sent on Styria Trigger Guard.</div></div>

No PM received??? Please resend.

This forum has been very helpful sharing info about the Styriaarms.com non-plastic trigger housing and magazines. Owning a SSG PII and SSG PIV I have enjoyed their tremendous accuracy (less than 1/2 MOA with Blackhills 168gr. BTHP). Recently I had a breakage in both the 5 round magazines and the trigger guard for both weapons.

Both rifles were in proper storage for a year while I was overseas. Maybe the plastic got dried out? When I got back, I took the rifles to the range and cleaned up using Breakfree Bore cleaning foam. The foam didn't make contact with the plastic, but possibly the vapors weaken the plastic. The Steyr owner’s manual clearly states on the first page:

“Warning:
Cleaning liquid or lubricants or insect repellants which contain solvents may influence the synthetic parts of the weapon or even damage them. Caution!”

A proper non-plastic trigger housing and magazines would certainly be a valuable improvement to this platform. It would help to ensure that these rifles can be passed down to my kids.

Steyr Arms in Alabama has been very helpful in replacing these parts, my hat goes off to them. Keep away from the bore cleaning foam and good old Hoppes No. 9 will do the trick.

Agreed ,...I do use a bore foam to clean but always drop the action out of the stock and remove the bottom plastic. Its just two screws and takes less time to do than type!

Foams/Lubes etc can be very abrasive, toxic etc on plastic and some even on skin. Caution is always advised if your aren't 100% familiar with the product.

How much is Steyr charging for bottom plastic replacement?

The quick answer to the replacement question, if you are the original owner and ask Steyr nicely they may do it for free. I just got mine back last week.

After mounting the replacement plastic and a new scope on my SSG PII, I went out to the range and shot .40 MOA at 100. Then in another session at 600 shot a 4 inch group. Of course I was extremely careful when cleaning up going back to my old ways of using Hoppes No. 9 and staying away from the dreaded cleaning foam.

If any Steyr service guys are reading in Alabama, thank you! You’ll did a great job and kept a loyal customer.

Thanks for the reply Amerikos. Its good to hear customer service still exists.

Oh well my mag just went. For model numbers on the barrel do anybody have anything more than SSG 69 or do I have a early one.

I learned to shoot on an SSG69 .243. This gun broke 2 mags and 1 mag well. My friends SSG69 .308 also broke mags and magwells. These guns were pampered range guns, no stalking or off range abuse.
Accuracy was OK, about on par with a standard R700Police with factory and handloads.
The stocks and furniture of the SSG felt not flimsy but certainly not as robust as AI's or TRG's.
The ergonomics were very nice, big bolt handle and easy to get comfy on.
This occurred about 7 years ago, I solved my problem by selling the gun and buying an AI and then a TRG22, no more breakages.

Steyr's having fun in the wind and rain,...1000yard timed snaps on NATO Fig 11 Running Man targets. Stickledown Range, Bisley Camp.

DaveBell2011-9677.jpg

DaveBell2011-9705-1.jpg

DaveBell2011-9593.jpg

DaveBell2011-9684.jpg

Is that a McMillan stock on your Steyr? I'm looking at one of the SBS MM stocks for my pro hunter.

Thats exactly the info I'd been looking for regarding my new SL 222 and L 243. Now I can clean them and go shoot them without worrying about the plastic. Are there metal trigger housings available?

Get the mcmillan if u have an SBS.
It solved a stringing problem I had when the barrel would heat up.

Look for internet specials on mcmillan websites and you can get them cheap.
They will also do custom molded colors ( i did a KMW style marble mix with 33black 33 od and 33 tan) and it came out bad ass.
I just wish I remembered to ask them to include flush cups for sling mounting....

Oh well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunsmithcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the mcmillan if u have an SBS.
It solved a stringing problem I had when the barrel would heat up.

Look for internet specials on mcmillan websites and you can get them cheap.
They will also do custom molded colors ( i did a KMW style marble mix with 33black 33 od and 33 tan) and it came out bad ass.
I just wish I remembered to ask them to include flush cups for sling mounting....

Oh well.</div></div>

+1 on the above,..get the McMillan.Simply excellent quality stocks. True drop in fit and you are good to go. Only extra I need is a PH spigot fixed into the forend.

Gunsmithcat, can you post photos of your mcmillan? I'm due to pick up my new 7mm rem mag sbs pro hunter in a week and I'll probably put the mcmillan sbs stock on it. Paint jobs would be good to see. Thinking about putting the new Schmidt & Bender 3-20x50 on it. What is stringing? With your hot barrel?

Ok, Emouse. Ive seen that one. Also, what brand neoprene shooting gloves are those? Any glove brand recommendations?

The gloves are made by DENT. They work a dream,...we shot again at 1000yds in what turned into torrential rain. There are a variety of neoprene shooting gloves available, just watch that the stitching is decent or they wont last long in heavy use?

Trying to shoot when your fingers are frozen and soaked is no fun. The gloves make the difference.

My wife has the SEALSKINZ shooters gloves,..nice but pricey.

emouse,

on the steyr with the mcmillan stock, what manufacturer makes the picatinnay rail and the scope rings that you are using?

It looks like a nice setup and I'm looking to outfit my new 7mm rem mag pro hunter. I'll be ordering a mcmillan stock for it soon. Thanks.

Driver

cry.gif

Spoke with McMillan... They don't make a long action SBS stock for my Steyr, only for the short action .308!

I'm very hurt! LOL

How is the sizing on the Dent gloves? Do they run large or small. Just ordered the Sealskinz shooting gloves. They look nice.

Come on guys. No body has a interest in the AICS KITs. I can not afford to buy a new rife.

fwiw,
Loved my PIIK. Basically a 20" unit with double set triggers and a 10x Hensoldt scope that was setup with drops to 500 meters... Very accurate and had little worry about shooting the barrel out. Great rifle. The stock sucked as has been mentioned. Other than that they were in a class of their own for a long time.

Regards, Matt.

A rifle to completely avoid with all these problems,buy yourself a FN SPR or Remmy 700 and be done with it....

Other than the mag issue my rife shoots nice. love to shoot subsonic loads. If I was going for new rife it would be SRS. But that will not be any time soon.
frown.gif

I know this is OLD but I would love to have the bottom metal/mag conversion if it is possible. My SSG 69 shoots amazingly well and I want to keep it long term. I have not been able to get information from those associated with the conversion. Anybody? Emouse?

Initial observations??? Pics???

Thanks

See other thread for pics.

Impressions - very solid and heavy. A PERFECT snug drop in fit.

Includes hex bolts to replace original ones.

Will be shooting later this week hopefully.

file:///C:/Users/Brian/Desktop/ireland-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gif