• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Steyrs New Rifle

J Walden

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2008
Tucson AZ
Anyone had the chance to pilfer/ mess around with one of Steyr s new beauties? Was in the Black Weapons Armory today taking a look around and saw this beauty :

http://www.steyrarms.com/products/sporting-rifles/steyr-ssg-04/

At the store, she had the Nightforce NXS 8X32 Power on it, and it was one mean looking rifle in the .300 Win mag. I saw three of the rifles, the demo version with the scope on it and the rest with just the base package.

I did a search on the forums here, haven't seen any for sale or any reviews, and naturally my curiosity got the best of me. Any of you had a chance to fire or own one of these yet? If so what are the ups/downs of the rifle? My biggest thing was the construction, it appears to be made from plastic, similar to the Tikka Sporter models, and the rests seemed to be reinforced by plastic bolts as well. Beyond that it looks like a solid rifle, but it just seemed, well, flimsy...

Your comments would be much appreciated.

Re: Steyrs New Rifle

Don't know if they fixed that, but the stock was prone to touch the barrel after a while in the sun or too much weight on the bipod. Heard that several times, but I do not own any SSG 04 nor did I shoot it, I got that kind of feedback back in 2006 when I was looking for a rifle to buy.

Lookin like a nice rifle. May have to see that 308 with 110 mag capacity. Maybe they just need to make a correction on the web site
wink.gif

Its far from new, I owned one in 2007 in 300 Win Mag. For a light weight setup its killer, 8rd magazine and .75 MOA gun with Custom Corbon loads I was shooting out to 600 yards. Gave it up because I have been married to the 338 Lapua for some years.

Dark Horse, how did the mag well and everything hold up? Did the plastic construction on it seem to waver or was it still solid?

For routine shooting at the range, had zero issues with the gun. How it would hold up to abuse in actual field conditions, I have no idea. The plastic components would worry me in sub-zero conditions. I would say it is much better suited as a law enforcement sniper rifle than something a military sniper would use.

Mine would be a range weapon unless I decide to do some SH competitions in the area. How does it hold up to rain and stuff like that? Or have you not really messed around with it in conditions like rain or snow?