STI Staccato P DUO

bjay

Private
Belligerents
Oct 19, 2009
Aloha state HI
I appreciate the durability of the RMR, but the size of the window and removal of the sight for a battery change was a deal breaker for me. I've got just under 5k rounds combined through both of these guns with no real issues in regards to the DPPs, other than mounting screws coming loose, but it appears I've figured that out as well.

The size of the window and top loading battery compartment were the deciding factors for me.
Does delta and trijicon share same mount..that THICK mount that sti came with

rangertrace

Private
Minuteman
May 19, 2020
Nope. The RMR plate has the rear site milled into it. With the DPP, the optic has a slot for a rear sight and Dawson Precision supplies one to be installed in the slot.

Reactions: bjay

Travclem

Dr. Dickweed
Belligerents
Jul 14, 2013
Lubbock, TX
I hit the 3k mark with mine last weekend. I shot 500 rounds of Federal 115gr bulk and 200rounds of 147gr Gold Dot Without issue. I guess this gun just doesn't like WWB. I don't mind taking my RMR off once a year to change the battery, the same day of the year I change my Aimpoint batteries. I haven't had one fail to return to zero yet. In fact, I've had the RMR off of this STI 3 times for various reasons and remounted without making any adjustments. Speaks to the quality of the machining by both Dawson and Trijicon. The Newer DUO plates are thinner than the original. The RMR sits about the same height on the mount as the DPP without it. The battery life on the DPP kills it for me, but I don't get state issued batteries.:LOL:

Last edited:
Reactions: edub1309 and plong

edub1309

Ronald Raygun
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2020
Northeast Ohio
I hit the 3k mark with mine last weekend. I shot 500 rounds of Federal 115gr bulk and 200rounds of 147gr Gold Dot Without issue. I guess this gun just doesn't like WWB. I don't mind taking my RMR off once a year to change the battery, the same day of the year I change my Aimpoint batteries. I haven't had one fail to return to zero yet. In fact, I've had the RMR off of this STI 3 times for various reasons and remounted without making any adjustments. Speaks to the quality of the machining by both Dawson and Trijicon. The Newer DUO plates are thinner than the original. The RMR sits about the same height on the mount as the DPP without it. The battery life on the DPP kills it for me, but I don't get state issued batteries.:LOL:
It’s not the return to zero that I worry about, especially since it’s cowitnessed anyway. It’s more the screws/threads and locktite that makes me anxious. Doesn’t seem like that would be good for the threads to continually locktite and break yearly. I love the RMR and the ruggedness factor though and will continue to run it. Just wish it would get a redesign with the battery compartment on top.

edub1309

Ronald Raygun
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2020
Northeast Ohio
I appreciate the durability of the RMR, but the size of the window and removal of the sight for a battery change was a deal breaker for me. I've got just under 5k rounds combined through both of these guns with no real issues in regards to the DPPs, other than mounting screws coming loose, but it appears I've figured that out as well.

The size of the window and top loading battery compartment were the deciding factors for me.
You know I think I just need to get another P or maybe the C and put the DPP on it. Problem solved! Lol.

Travclem

Dr. Dickweed
Belligerents
Jul 14, 2013
Lubbock, TX
It’s not the return to zero that I worry about, especially since it’s cowitnessed anyway. It’s more the screws/threads and locktite that makes me anxious. Doesn’t seem like that would be good for the threads to continually locktite and break yearly. I love the RMR and the ruggedness factor though and will continue to run it. Just wish it would get a redesign with the battery compartment on top.
Screws are cheap if you wear them out 10 years from now. Dawson would most likely replace the plate if the threads wore out too. I dont see that happening during the serviceable life of the optic. I use a MINIMAL amount of blue loctite and it keeps the screws tight, but breaks relativity easy with the hex key.

Reactions: edub1309

Travclem

Dr. Dickweed
Belligerents
Jul 14, 2013
Lubbock, TX
Thats a weird one. I hoped it was something I could help you with....
It's not too weird, WWB is known for being shitty ammo. I don't think there is anything to fix. The extractor tension is correct. The gun runs 100% on federal bulk, Blue Bullet reloads, Lawman, and Gold Dot. The Gold Dot being what matters. That said, I've had 4 or 5 FTE in 3k total rounds and all of then have been from the same lot of WWB.

edub1309

Ronald Raygun
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2020
Northeast Ohio
Screws are cheap if you wear them out 10 years from now. Dawson would most likely replace the plate if the threads wore out too. I dont see that happening during the serviceable life of the optic. I use a MINIMAL amount of blue loctite and it keeps the screws tight, but breaks relativity easy with the hex key.
Those are fair points. Really impressed with the sti/Dawson package. I know it’s an expensive gun, but what you get is amazing!

edub1309

Ronald Raygun
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2020
Northeast Ohio
It's not too weird, WWB is known for being shitty ammo. I don't think there is anything to fix. The extractor tension is correct. The gun runs 100% on federal bulk, Blue Bullet reloads, Lawman, and Gold Dot. The Gold Dot being what matters. That said, I've had 4 or 5 FTE in 3k total rounds and all of then have been from the same lot of WWB.
You ever run blazer brass through it?