• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Sticking cases Saco L461.223A I

alpinebob

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
Need some advise, this is a recent( in terms of shots fired) chamber job and I have had the problem of sticking cases right along. The goofy thing is that only about half of the cases stick in the chamber. It happens when I fireform using commercial ammo or new cases with 25 Gr W748 52 Gr bullets. Same problem with FLsized and collet neck sized brass. Headspace is a bit long but within specs. Have cleaned action especially bolt recesses thoroughly. Had my smith take a look with Hawkeye and he says all looks good.
When the case sticks, I remove it by using a soft mallet on the bolt handle (which raises fully and retracts noticably), or I can pry the bolt back using a screwdriver carefully between the bridge and the bolt cam surface. Some cases "free up" after being "pried" about .013" some as much as .034". If I tru to re chamber the sticking case it sticks again just like when fired.
I have carefully examined the cases using a 6X loupe and cant' see any obvious markings. I have miked the cases at the neck, shoulder junction and forward of the head, no difference detected???
What really stumps me is that some cases from the same new box stick and others don't and I cant detect any differences!
Hope someone can come up with some helpful suggestions.