• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Still Own Your First Custom Build?

Still Own Your First Custom Build?

• Yes, Still Shoot It

Votes: 34 79.1%
  • Reluctantly

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Nope Sold It

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • This Thread is Useless

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

D̷e̷v̷i̷l̷D̷o̷c̷A̷Z̷

Banned x2 🤪
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2014
Yuma, AZ
I am just now in the beginning stages of doing my first custom build and I wanted to know if I am "overthinking" things. I really want to put something together that I can be proud of and will have more then just sentimental value over the years. I know that shooters overwhemlingly still have their very first firearm but what about custom build? Do you guys hold on the the very first one? My reason for asking is I see a lot of stuff up for grabs in the "for sale" section. The only reason I didn't go that route is I wanted to make one that is everything I really want and nothing I don't.

Chime in please.

Added a poll in the even this thread grows to multiple pages.

Last edited:
It is going to take thousands of rounds under extremely varied conditions for you to figure out what you really want. Anyone who still owns their first build is unlikely an avid shooter and likely a collector.

Last edited:
Still own my first build. The only thing that has changed is scopes and what bullets I'm shooting. Its addicting. If your having a hard time choosing components, pick one and put the second on your next build. Thats how I've done it

Just recently sold my first. It sat in the safe for two years before I sold it. I realized I liked my AW better and what a waste with something worth at minimum $2,500

I don't have even the first firearm I've ever owned. I don't have emotional attachments to material stuff. I use it and improve it if need be. That's me though.

I still have my first custom build and shoot it more than anything else. It did not take me thousands of rounds with a multitude of rifles. Do serious research, and be real with yourself.

If you have a purpose for your rifle, and it's built to make sense for that purpose, then you will use it.

Still have my first custom rifle in 5.56 built by HD rifles. Also my first gun ever, a Universal M1 carbine from Sears. And many inbetween.

If you have a purpose for your rifle, and it's built to make sense for that purpose, then you will use it.

+1 best advice ever. The first question that should be asked is what you want to do with it.

My first build was a .338 wildcat to get 3000fps out of a 300gr smk; Why? It was a totally impractical thing for living in Alabama. While it was very cool and a technical feat for the time, it had no purpose and sat around until I sold it. It was a huge learning experience for me after all that time money and effort. Live and learn right?

Decide on the purpose first. Accessories, stocks, and configurations will come and go but the rifle will stay. My old 700pss is a great example. I got my first aw and it wasn't getting used so I sent it apa and had them cut it off at 16" to make it a handy lightweight rig. It's by far been my favorite gun since.

Also, and I know a lot of people will disagree, but, speaking for myself personally, if I can't buy ammo for it at Walmart I don't want it and, separately, If I can't buy good factory match ammo I don't want it. In other words, if it's a big hassle to get ammo for it, it won't get used as much. There's not a whole lot a person can't do with standard cartridges.

We just built a 375 Snipe Tac for a local guy. I know him and he will enjoy the process of taking the time to fire form brass and hand load for it; so, for him it works. For me it meant it never got used and eventually got sold.

Hope that helps.

I built my first custom because I wanted a rifle that I would enjoy shooting. It was a success and I see no reason to get rid of it. It now has several "siblings".

I still own and use my first custom on a regular basis. It's been changed up a bit since initial build...different stock, different glass, but I still have it and use it. It's a 300RUM that was built to smack things in the next zip code. I started out with a sendero...shot the barrel out and then went the custom route. I have since built others, for other purposes, but my first was well thought out for specific use and it still does that on a weekly basis.
If you shoot a bunch first, research well and try a few things out before you buy, you can build one that will hang around indefinitely.

First long range rifle (700P) that I slowly built up to what I wanted and my first turnkey custom have both been sold. Both were awesome rifles, but needs change. In my case, I sold 2 rifles and bought one factory rifle and a Manners stock, parts for a custom, and a lathe and mill so I can build whatever I want and make money too. Good trade IMO.

Yep I still got it, a Surgeon XL.

Too many fond memories with it, too accurate, too cool and I couldn't have made a better choice on cartridges- 30-375R and 6.5 Suam.

Last edited:
My first custom was chambered in .243AI, i've since torched that barrel & now she wears a new tube chambered in 6mmAI. I will die with that rifle (at least the action) still in my possession.

t

I appreciate all the responses. I do have a plan and a purpose, I just wanted some input. I have been saving and drooling for a really long time and I think I have something that is perfect for "me" and my needs. That begin said I was just curious what you fellows do with yours. I have never sold a rifle, and I really have not wanted to. With my limited funds I really have to have a purpose before making a purchase. Some day I hope to be able to buy what I want just to see if I like it but thats not going to happen soon if at all.

-DevilDocAZ

Nope. Sold my TacOps Tango-51 very shortly after receiving it. My Patriot Valley Arms/SAC hybrid I will keep forever.

I still have my first custom build. I started from a barreled action with trigger. Stripped the trigger and barrel, trued up the bolt and receiver. Put on a new trigger and barrel, bedded it into McMillan stock, mounted glass, and went shooting. It is in its third stock -- all three are McMillans and its third scope -- all three were Leupold. It has the first trigger that I put in it (Arnold Jewell) and a new brake (Harrell). It is on its fourth barrel and I have another one coming. The gun has always been a 300 Win Mag, the first three barrels were tight neck, this one is a standard neck.

The big decision is receiver length. Everything else is adjustable. Suppose that you get a Remington long action. Suppose that it comes with a .532 bolt face. You can get a custom bolt from PT&G with a .473 bolt face - roughly $200. That fits 243, 6.5x55, 308, 30-06 and a whole bunch of other stuff. You can use your original .532 bolt or get a second PT&G bolt with a .532 bolt face. That fits all of the belted magnums. Want a new caliber? Buy a barrel and have it chambered and fitted. Want to play with stocks? Buy one, bed the receiver to it, cut the barrel channel, and try it out. If you use Badger or other rails, you can swap scopes between guns.

I have other Remington receivers. I have settled on McMillan A5 stocks, Badger bottom metal and detachable magazines, Jewell triggers, Harrell brakes, and badger rails and rings. They are modular.

I have more than one weapon in the same caliber. When I have a new .308 barrel fitted, I have the gunsmith fit the new chamber to the existing brass -- so they all can shoot the same ammo.

Except for the argument that I need the cash from this one to buy the next one, I don't understand why someone would sell a rifle. If the receiver is sound and of a usable type, everything else is adjustable or replaceable.

That is me and my approach, you will have other requirements. Just my thoughts on the issue.