• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stiller Precision Firearms

wnroscoe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2006
NW Louisiana
There seems to be a little chatter behind the scenes concerning what I think about SPF Receivers. I'm here to set the record straight.

First, I own a SS Viper on my switch barrel 6BR/6Dasher rifle. For conversation, it shoots in the .0's with either caliber.

Second, I've built numerous rifles using the Tac30 and Predator Receivers. All of the rifles I've built on SPF Receivers have meet or exceeded my accuracy guarantee, some have shot groups that measured .250" at 200 yards, that’s .125" moa for those keeping score.

In the past when I've recommended either Surgeon or Defiance Machine Receivers I meant no negative towards Stiller or SPF. Some may have read that into my comments but, I can assure you, that wasn't the message.

In the past, SPF has donated prizes to the various matches and has tried to give back to the shooting community in other ways. This speaks volumes of his intent to promote the sport and pay it forward.

For those that have purchased SPF products in the past and have good things to say please chime in.

Re: Stiller Precision Firearms

I couldn't be happier with my Stiller action. It’s an older action, one they did a few years ago. It is now on its second 6.5mm barrel and quickly approaching its 3rd. D.Miller and I have built 4 rifles on Stiller TAC-30, TAC-A/W actions and have been pleased with the results.

I have a TAC30 that feeds great. Never an issue and it's one of my favorite rifles. I wouldn't have any reservations about building on another one.

When I was in working Pakistan, I contacted Jerry Stiller about purchasing a Stiller Tac30 action for a build I was trying to piece together while I was away. After speaking with him for a few minutes, he offered to barrel and chamber the action for me with a barrel of my choice. He suggested a Mike Rock 5R after listening to me, which is what I chose. He was very attentive to what I wanted and offered some suggestions which I followed. He had me send my McHale stock to him,so that he could fit the barrelled action. He sold me a Timney trigger, threaded my barrel, and nitrated it. Provided a PTG BDL bottom metal and painted it. When it all was said and done, although I had started out to buy an action, Jerry basically built a complete rifle.

I thought it would take atleast 6 months. I had told Jerry that I would be coming home in December, just 3 months after I originally called him. He promised me that he would have the rifle done, by the time I got home. He shipped the rifle approximately 6 weeks after I had ordered it so that it would be waiting for me, which was half the time he had promised. He even took the time to send me some pictures of the rifle so that I could see it when I was in Pakistan. He was very good about keeping me informed on the progress of the build through email and would answer my questions when I called on the phone. He did all this at what had to be close to his cost. I don't think he made anything on my build, but rather did it as a favor to me, for which I have always been very appreciative.

Picture002-2.jpg

Stiller175SMK.jpg

Three 5 shot groups at 100 yards, fired from prone using bipod and sandsock. The gun shoots better than I do.

I have been very pleased with my rifle. I have owned and been issued many nice rifles over the years, but my Stiller Tac30 is by far my favorite. The rifle is simply a hammer. I have no problem recommending Stiller products as I know from personal experience that they are extremely well made and their customer service is second to none. Jerry Stiller has made me a Stiller Precision Firearms customer for life.

I've got a TAC 338 that's a heck of an action. Jerry was very helpful on the phone, and I'm very pleased with his product.
CW

The only actions I own and they are just good people.
Top gun on a short action Predator Mag bolt
Bottom is on a short action Predator 308 bolt

DSC_2752.jpg

Three shots with my Stiller 308
308-1.jpg

Three shots with my Stiller 300WSM
300WSM.jpg

Don't forget about Russ! He has been very helpful and has helped me keep my comp rifle up and running so I wouldn't miss a match!

I just built a .260 for a customer on a Stiller action that was completely screwed up!! The ejection port was on the wrong side and the bolt handle was completely bass ackwards. How a man can shoot with an action in such poor shape is beyond me.

Seriously though, the left handed Tac-30 action described above was perfect, smooth, and came together solidly. It's still waiting for a stock so no range report yet, but I was thoroughly impressed to mic and measure it.

It's all you righties that are messed up. Us lefties have to stick together
wink.gif

Scott at Stiller Precision barreled the 308. It sits in a Manners Mini Chassis system. Its a hammer.

Stiller's customer service and commendations like those above is why I chose a SA Predator for the rifle Roscoe is building right now. I cycled the action before I sent the parts off for the build and it was well machined and smooth. I expect the finished product to be no less when it is completed.

I have a tac 338 single shot and I am very happy with it . I will be using another stiller action for my next build.

I have several Stiller actions and have always been pleased with everything about them. Jerry, Curtis, Russ and Scott are all top notch people that have always been more than willing to go out of their way to help. On top of all that they build great actions!!

2mmbv45.jpg

My 300 WSM on a Stiller Predator

vpz0vl.jpg

260 On a Stiller Predator

Jerry and Russ are the BOMB along with their actions. I ALWAYS reccomend their stuff on a new build unless the customer has an action already. They do need to get moving and get that damn bottom metal ready, pronto
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's all you righties that are messed up. Us lefties have to stick together
wink.gif
</div></div>
Just built a lefty 6.5 X 284 on a TAC 300, will post a range report pronto

X-Ring Just FYI they do have the DBM ready and in stock if it is the one you are talking about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERGER KING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">X-Ring Just FYI they do have the DBM ready and in stock if it is the one you are talking about. </div></div>
'Bout damn time, thanks for the heads up. Got tired of asking
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X Ring Accuracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's all you righties that are messed up. Us lefties have to stick together
wink.gif
</div></div>
Just built a lefty 6.5 X 284 on a TAC 300, will post a range report pronto </div></div>

I can't wait to see how that turns out.

Im not the person to be assesing the abilities of a rifle or action but I was more than happy with the one I used in my 223AI build, the new owner will probably form a better opinion of the rifles abilities. I liked the action enough I chose to purchase a TAC30 AW for my current 7-08 build that is in progress.

DSCN0141.jpg

Love my Stiller Predator. Bought it as a barreled action from Rock Creek off the for sale section here on SH. Smooth as silk and shoots pretty good. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

6.5x284
Rock Creek ABS

DSCF0005.jpg

CloverLeaf.jpg

DSCF0043.jpg

After visiting their shop, and meeting with Jerry, Curtis, and Russ, I knew that their actions would be what I would use for my signiature action. They manufacture a very high quality action, with very good features at a very fair price. I only wish I had bought more with my name before closing shop. I am very happy with all the rifles I built on their action, and have never recieved a complain from the feild. Not to mention, their customer service has always been top notch with me. I wish them the very best.

I have 3 rifles with SPF actions and sold on their products. They actually shipped me a part before payment, did know me from Adam's ass.

Just goes to show everyone what kind of gent wnroscoe is. He went out of his way to clarify his prior comments etc to make sure what others 'thought he way saying' was untrue.

All the internet 'gossip' concerning a company's product and most gossip/BS comes from those that 'couldn't poor piss out of a boot if the directions were on the heal'!!!!!!

Always enjoy the comments from those who have never done it to give advice on actions, barrels, how to machine them, fit them, how to reload etc and they have never actually done it themselves or in most cases seen it done. HOWEVER, they did read it on the internet!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just goes to show everyone what kind of gent wnroscoe is. He went out of his way to clarify his prior comments etc to make sure what others 'thought he way saying' was untrue.

All the internet 'gossip' concerning a company's product and most gossip/BS comes from those that 'couldn't poor piss out of a boot if the directions were on the heal'!!!!!!

Always enjoy the comments from those who have never done it to give advice on actions, barrels, how to machine them, fit them, how to reload etc and they have never actually done it themselves or in most cases seen it done. HOWEVER, they did read it on the internet! </div></div>
AKA Internet commandos

Just got off the phone with Jerry regarding some questions.

Gotta say, for a busy guy he never once sounded rushed or was trying to blow me off the phone. Answered all my ham fisted questions and made sure I was well informed.

Im gonna do business with them thats for sure.

Nice write up, and beautiful rifle. So many times we hear about the bad in a review, thanks for taking the time to tell us the good. Sounds like Stiller really does awesome work. Already knew they made awesome products. From what you described, sounds the term 'second to none' for customer service is a good fit.

Thanks, i was considering a stiller action for the next build, i think you just helped me make up my mind.

-Paulus

Just got my 7mm RM from Center Shot this week Stiller Predator action looks great! The action is butter!!!

I am like a kid waiting for Christmas, Should have the scope in hand and mounted next week. Can't wait to get this dialed in. I will post some pics when she is all set up.

I am privileged to call Jerry and Curtis friends of mine, even though they did call me a commie for living in California (strictly teasing of course). LOL!

They make excellent actions without question.

WOW Those rifles are some keepers for sure sweet shooting man under 1/4 MOA is sweet. I personally just bought a gun with a Surgeon action for my first custom action after reading a post here on the Hide about the Surgeon being a bit smoother and a few other differences that I liked but I would not be oposed to owning a Stiller and may very well own one in the furture. Especially after hearing about the positive feedback Im hearing on this thread as well as the performance you fellas are getting out of your Stiller actions.

Jerry,

Excellent product, I have 4 builds on your actions and they are all awesome, great products.

Kp

Had allot of fun shooting with Curtis in Texas. They are great guys. In my opinion it says allot when you see someone shooting and actually using the gear they design,build and sell (not to mention donating). Its getting rare to find a company that builds a product they want and not something a bean counter that never has touched a gun says they need.

I am building another 7wsm and its going to be on a Stiller.