• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Stiller TAC-30 action, to Cerakote or not?

KYbandit

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2012
Hustonville, KY
It's been a long time coming, but I've finally gotten some parts together for a 6.5 Creedmoor build. Stiller Tac-30, Bartlein Heavy Varmint 6.5 1 in 8 barrel, Timney 510U, and Manners T4A mini chassis stock. I've emailed 3 different builders for quotes and lead times, and the rifle will be built by one of these 3. I've read stories about custom actions wanting to bind up when coated due to the tighter tolerances, and that is one of my biggest concerns with this build. I had thought about just having the barrel and lug cerakoted and leaving the action alone, but I'm not sure.

Builder 1 says he'd prefer to cerakote the entire barreled action, and parkerize the bolt, and that the bolt will cycle smoothly.

Builder 2 would rather cerakote the entire barreled action, bolt and all.

Builder 3 wants to Cerakote only the barrel and lug, and wants to leave the receiver alone due to his fear of having binding trouble with the bolt.

All of these gunsmiths are highly regarded on Snipershide and all have built on Stiller actions before. I have no doubt that any of them can build a tackdriver rifle, but this action coating delimma has got me scratching my head about who to send it to. Guys using Stiller actions, What are your thoughts on this?

What I do with custom actions is use either Gunkote or Microslick on the bolt. It isn't as think so you won't have clearance issues. Then again if you know what your doing even cerakote is fine just don't put on too many coats. In the past few months Ive done Stillers, Definance, and Bat with no problems. I use Gunkote 1600 on all the bolts. Its flat black and is very thin.

The bolt has been melanited already. Nothing else needs to be done there. Cerakote on the bolt will wear off and you'll even wear through the black of the melonite, no big deal. I Cerakote all my builds. The issue of the bolt binding is more geometry than anything else. Any roughness will wear in quickly. The problem if it is a problem comes from the bolt being all the way to the rear and not much of the body being supported inside the action. Add a bolt handle that's long. Then operate it with your thumb which pushes it as much sideways as forward and it's going to bind. If you learn to palm it not thumb it there's no problems. And they do wear in and become very very slick.

I wouldn't do anything to the bolt but if you must I would mircoslick it. As Dave said they're nitrided so there's really no point.

Last edited:
It's been a long time coming, but I've finally gotten some parts together for a 6.5 Creedmoor build. Stiller Tac-30, Bartlein Heavy Varmint 6.5 1 in 8 barrel, Timney 510U, and Manners T4A mini chassis stock. I've emailed 3 different builders for quotes and lead times, and the rifle will be built by one of these 3. I've read stories about custom actions wanting to bind up when coated due to the tighter tolerances, and that is one of my biggest concerns with this build. I had thought about just having the barrel and lug cerakoted and leaving the action alone, but I'm not sure.

Builder 1 says he'd prefer to cerakote the entire barreled action, and parkerize the bolt, and that the bolt will cycle smoothly.

Builder 2 would rather cerakote the entire barreled action, bolt and all.

Builder 3 wants to Cerakote only the barrel and lug, and wants to leave the receiver alone due to his fear of having binding trouble with the bolt.

All of these gunsmiths are highly regarded on Snipershide and all have built on Stiller actions before. I have no doubt that any of them can build a tackdriver rifle, but this action coating delimma has got me scratching my head about who to send it to. Guys using Stiller actions, What are your thoughts on this?

Why in the world would builder 1 want to remove the factory finish off of the Stiller bolt to use an inferior finish such as parkerizing? If you are after a black finish, leave the Stiller alone and coat the barrel and recoil lug.

mine was a little tight when new but after about 350 rounds it is slicking up nicely,,I havent had any finish put on the Bartlien barrel and the Stiller action is as it came out of the box,,I cant think of a reason so far to do anything to it,,

the Stiller action over the trued Rem 700 decision has been the most satisfying purchase I have made in a long time,,it feeds the short 6.5x47 case out of the AI mags and ejects very well,,shoots bugholes as well,,

Probably not the best answer, but I couldn't bring myself to coat mine with anything. Picked up some glass media and broke out an old Harbor freight media blaster that was given to me. Put a uniform ping finish over the barreled action. Left the bolt coated as is/was from Stiller.
Not sure which direction I would take if I were to coat a barreled action, bit I would not mess with the Stiller bolt finish. I imagine I would tape off all internal surfaces if only precautionary. Post pics after you do whatever you ultimately decide.

Never talk to builder #1 again. Builder #2 is also an idiot. As others have said - the Tac 30, bolt and all, is coated just fine as it is.

Or...was this a trick question?

Never talk to builder #1 again. Builder #2 is also an idiot. As others have said - the Tac 30, bolt and all, is coated just fine as it is.

Or...was this a trick question?
I assure you, this was not a trick question. Builders 1 and 2 are both well reviewed on this site. What i posted above is what they suggested, though they both said theyd do whatever i wanted. Their suggestions struck me as odd, which is why i wanted the hide's input.