• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stiller Tac-30 Is one hell of a Action.

Roland A.D.

Minuteman
Oct 17, 2013
Sebring, Florida
This thread is a shout out to Stiller for producing one hell of an action!!

For anyone looking to purchase a amazing action for long range shooting and may have been wondering how the Stiller Tac-30 stacks up against all the other options. My 6.5x47L was built on a Stiller Tac-30 action; I chose this action for many reasons, quality, accuracy, ruggedness, & appearance. When building my 1st tactical rifle my smith recommend Stiller and after talking with Russ I knew Stiller was the company I wanted to deal with. I have mentioned many reasons in the words above that would be more than adequate reasons to choose a Stiller Action for your next build but if that doesn't do it for you check out the results below.

IMG_1608.jpg

My home range is Manatee Gun Club, which is known to produce notoriously difficult conditions.

Personal Best 5-Shot 600yd group: .833

600yd .883 #2.jpg600yd .833 #1.jpg

There aren’t many Tactical Matches in my area so I shoot in the Bench rest matches at Manatee. I’m unsure if there is a tactical class in Bench rest so I assume my rifle would fall into the light gun category considering its weight is under 17lbs. All the matches I shoot in consist of both heavy and light guns with most being high dollar bench rest rifles.

Match Wins, which were the last two I have competed in.

1000yd gong Match that I won by 3 hits

600yd IBS Paper Match at Manatee Gun Club:
Group 1: 1.829"
Group 2:1.916"
Group 3:1.459" (Club Record)
Group 4:2.159"
4 group Agg: 1.839" (Club Record)

Roland 1.459 group.jpg600 IBS club match 8-23-14002.jpg

Congratulations on the results. My smith has also recommended Stiller. An old coworker has been using Stiller actions in his bench rest guns for years. What are the rest if the specs on your rifle?

I agree, I have a Stiller Spectre action and couldn't be happier. I think a certain action cornered the marked a few years ago and people still believe the hype. I've been around the different actions and there probably isn't .05 accuracy difference between the bunch. But then again, Stiller doesn't sound as cool as some type of medical doctor.

Great shooting, looks like you have a fine rifle. But I'd attribute the accuracy to your barrel and shooting skills rather than the action. I recently built a 7saum on my Tac30 but have yet to work up a load for it.

Gun is awesome but I'm sure to get those kinds of results the trigger puller must be pretty good too, nice shooting and nice rifle!!!

I think the Stiller Tac-30 is an excellent value for what you get. If you were to take a Rem 700 action, and add a good base, 8-40 base screws, truing, pinned lug, tactical bolt knob and fluted bolt, you've spent just as much as if you had bought a Stiller in the first place.

My best shooting rifle is on a Tac 30. I've used several of them and every one of them did exceptionally well. Also have a drop port Viper in 6.5x47L that I can't complain about. Currently sitting in the safe waiting on parts are a Spectre and a Copperhead ..

image.jpg

So I was at the range and took my last five rounds to the 600 yard line in hopes to try and beat you. I fell short but had fun trying. Good shooting!

I was using a Stiller TAC 30 action with Rock Creek barrel built by AO. I will keep practicing till I shoot like that!

Awsome group, shooter,gun, load and action! But how are you narrowing that group down to praising only one variable? In my opinion the action would be one of the last variables as far as putting all variables in order of importance when wanting very tight groups at any range. Please explain?

I understand there are many factors, don't read to far into it. I'm simply praising Stiller for a high quality product, there are many shooters out there that think you must use actions in the 1200.00-1600.00 range to achieve this accuracy. Im simply stating Stiller makes great actions and showing proof that their Tac actions can hang with the high dollar actions for around 300.00-600.00 less.

I love my 6.5x47 Tactical type rofle on the Tac 30,,my next one is gonna be on a single shot dual port in 6 Dasher or BRDX,,I like to switch up a lot and not get bored with something or go hog wild and melt the barrel,,,,shooting off a rest at tiny targets at long range can be really fun also,,

I have stepped down from the 140 Hybirds in the 6.5 to the 120-123 class bullets and getting much better accuracy,,

For anyone looking to purchase a amazing action for long range shooting and may have been wondering how the Stiller Tac-30 stacks up against all the other options.

When building my 1st tactical rifle my smith recommend Stiller and after talking with Russ I knew Stiller was the company I wanted to deal with.

Do you know how it stacks up against all the other options if this is your first tactical rifle? Do you have experience with Surgeons, Defiance, BAT, etc.?

Great shooting, looks like you have a fine rifle. But I'd attribute the accuracy to your barrel and shooting skills rather than the action. I recently built a 7saum on my Tac30 but have yet to work up a load for it.

Agree with your statement.

Stillers are SMOOTH. I have had BAT's , Defiances, and Stillers and IMO , Stiller Tac 30 seems to be just as good as the rest. It will take a beating like all the ones mentioned. I built a long range .308 with a Tac 30 and it's a GREAT ACTION

Do you know how it stacks up against all the other options if this is your first tactical rifle? Do you have experience with Surgeons, Defiance, BAT, etc.?

I have experience with all of them. And I can tell you that the Stillers are very smooth. The machining is top notch. If I had to describe it, I would say it feels like a BAT Action, with slightly more open tolerances. And for $600-$700 dollars cheaper, for a "non bench rest" gun, it would be silly not to consider a Stiller.

I have experience with all of them. And I can tell you that the Stillers are very smooth. The machining is top notch. If I had to describe it, I would say it feels like a BAT Action, with slightly more open tolerances. And for $600-$700 dollars cheaper, for a "non bench rest" gun, it would be silly not to consider a Stiller.

Agreed. Well said.