• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock for Tikka CTR

http://cms.german-gun-stock.de/index.php/en/

I run my CTR with factory mags in the German Gun Stock Predator. I use it for PRS matches and hunting. I ran a medium palma barrel with the BugNut for matches and I just put a factory CTR barrel on it for hunting season. It has an aluminum internal bedding block/chassis and an adjustable cheek piece. It is a lot of stock for the money. My son and I have Rangers coming and we are both considering the Raptor model for our match rifles.
I in fact contacted GGS and there are a number of options for the Tikka CTR. All three of their stocks have CTR options, per Thomas. Lot's of options there.

I in fact contacted GGS and there are a number of options for the Tikka CTR. All three of their stocks have CTR options, per Thomas. Lot's of options there.

Thomas is a great guy to work with. They will build exactly how you want it. My new Ranger is inlet for CTR bottom metal and I bought the MT AICS bottom metal for it. I am going to build a BR based gun for a match rifle. I was considering a KRG Bravo, but I like the looks of the Raptor.

Reactions: WT1
Question about the KRG Bravo and Whiskey chassis system. You simply need to use AICS mags and insert them into the chassis after the action is mounted into the chassis and no modification of either the chassis or action is required? Is that correct?

Question about the KRG Bravo and Whiskey chassis system. You simply need to use AICS mags and insert them into the chassis after the action is mounted into the chassis and no modification of either the chassis or action is required? Is that correct?

For the most part, yes. The Magpul AICS mags will need some fitting. Most other magazines should be good to go with no fitting.

Correct. They give you a discount if you buy their KRG stamped accurate mags with your chassis. Great mags BTW

For the most part, yes. The Magpul AICS mags will need some fitting. Most other magazines should be good to go with no fitting.

If you have a Tikka then just stick to metal mags. By the time you get Magpul AICS lips thin enough to allow the round high enough for the bolt to strip it they'll be too thin to hold rounds in. All polymer mags are ok for certain applications- that does not include AICS and AK pattern.

Wonder how these Boyd's gun stocks work? This one is for the CTR with magazine as per their search function:
AT-ONE TIKKA T3 CTR LA FBC
Item #: 7GC1224741ZZ
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/gunstocks/at-one-tikka-t3-ctr-la-fbc-7gc122474zz

I contacted Boyd's about these stocks. Asked what type of pillars they recommend installing. Response was, "we don't recommend installing pillars in our stocks." When I responded "why?" Their response was that they put metal reinforcement pins in their laminates and drilling holes to install the pillars might cut those pins. "It voids the warranty" they also said.

I should have replied, "Well why don't you install pillars during manufacturing, then?"

Because it's a laminate stock. You shouldn't need pillars. Pillars came about as a result of traditional wooden stocks being crushed over time by tightening the action screws. Laminates don't do that.

One other question came to mind while watching videos on Youtube showing you how to bed a stock. On the Tikka CTR, the recoil lug is actually in the stock and not an integral part of the action or pinned to it. If you simply wanted to bed the recoil lug, which is the simplest and fastest way to bed a rifle, how would you do it with a Tikka CTR? Anyone have any experience with that, even on a Boyd's?

Because it's a laminate stock. You shouldn't need pillars. Pillars came about as a result of traditional wooden stocks being crushed over time by tightening the action screws. Laminates don't do that.
That's interesting. Do you mean "crushed" as in vertically when you torque the action screws down or horizontally as if the stock is moving back and forth upon successive shots?

Vertically. Bedding is still beneficial to prevent horizontal shifting under recoil (etc.), but pillars are not required with a laminated stock to stop vertical shifting from crushing/pulling the action down into the stock.

I went with the German Gun Stock in Predator. Seems to work perfect. I will likely get their Ranger when I build a lightweight. I haven't tried/fired any of the other brands, though.

Reactions: 260284 and WT1
I went with the German Gun Stock in Predator. Seems to work perfect. I will likely get their Ranger when I build a lightweight. I haven't tried/fired any of the other brands, though.

Yes, they are very nice stocks. For that kind of money though I would simply get a McRee chassis and be done with it. I'd like to use the CTR magazines if possible as well.

One other question came to mind while watching videos on Youtube showing you how to bed a stock. On the Tikka CTR, the recoil lug is actually in the stock and not an integral part of the action or pinned to it. If you simply wanted to bed the recoil lug, which is the simplest and fastest way to bed a rifle, how would you do it with a Tikka CTR? Anyone have any experience with that, even on a Boyd's?

My CTR shot 1/2 moa in the factory stock and will shoot .2 in the GGS Predator. I don't think bedding would be worth the effort in a factory stock.

I had Bravo but i bought TRG rear stock for it, and now it is a totally wicked rig.
Little paint and cerakote on the barrel and action.
PB190277.JPG

Reactions: Crang and lou400a
I've tried MDT LSS, ESS, GRS Berserk, but seem to like Manners stocks. I've tried T4, but settled on EH1, EH1a and T6a for my Tikkas. I also like the T5a and EH5 as well

I've tried MDT LSS, ESS, GRS Berserk, but seem to like Manners stocks. I've tried T4, but settled on EH1, EH1a and T6a for my Tikkas. I also like the T5a and EH5 as well

You dont get Manner stock in to a Finland.
Those are nice ones, though never had a change to feel those in my hand, but they look good, and are not cheep.
All they all made with carbonfibre?

You dont get Manner stock in to a Finland.
Those are nice ones, though never had a change to feel those in my hand, but they look good, and are not cheep.
All they all made with carbonfibre?

They make both, but the elite are cf and lighter

Reactions: viking78
I'm sure some have PSE-composites stocks on their Tikkas. They can be used with Tikka bottom metal or Atlasworx AI CTR type bottom metal.

Resurrecting this thread...Anybody running the Bravo chassis with CTR mags? If so, how do you like it - any issues?

Looking to upgrade my factory stock. They have them in inventory with KRG it seems.

Reactions: R700P308
That looks like AICS mags not factory CTR mags? Do you like the stock? Adjustable butt plate?

This is mostly my son rig, but i do also use it to hunting too.
For the price, i think Bravo is the best chassis, you can make it in to a Whiskey if you want.
Just swap the rear stock, forend aint must change.

I ordered a Bravo that will accept CTR mags from KRG. I'll see if I can post up some pics once I get it on.

Reactions: viking78
Quick question; if I get a CTR, what are the pros/cons of staying with the CTR mags vs going with the more inexpensive and readily available AICS?

Quick question; if I get a CTR, what are the pros/cons of staying with the CTR mags vs going with the more inexpensive and readily available AICS?

CTR magazines are shorter, lighter, and feed better than AICS magazines, at least in my experience. I responded to a similar question on here a week or so ago, and I have Tikka rifles with moth AICS and CTR mags. It all depends on what caliber you are wanting to rebarrel to if you do rebarrel and what stock you are going to use.

CTR magazines are shorter, lighter, and feed better than AICS magazines, at least in my experience. I responded to a similar question on here a week or so ago, and I have Tikka rifles with moth AICS and CTR mags. It all depends on what caliber you are wanting to rebarrel to if you do rebarrel and what stock you are going to use.

Thanks. I'm potentially thinking of a CTR in .223

Thanks. I'm potentially thinking of a CTR in .223

I haven't seen a 223 CTR yet, but if the magazine lets you load 75gr and up out to 2.50"+, the cost might be worth it. I have a Varmint in 223 and had the barrel threaded. I have it in a GGS Reaper using AICS bottom metal. It shoots the 75gr ELDM really well at 2.49".

Last edited:
I'd reach out to Grayboe about Tikka inlets as well. I have my LH T3 Lite in a Terrain stock. They were inletting for both the factory DBM and also have their own CTR DBM option available. I know they have the ability and will likely have offerings in the future, as they were inletting for the T3 in the past, but nothing shows on their website today, even under their custom inlets. Probably worth a call. I've been very happy with mine and the value I found in it for a hunting rifle. Looked at the chassis options as well, which were rather limited for a long action LH T3, but went with the Terrain for a hunting/carry rifle.

There was a question earlier about Manners impacting accuracy. I can report after having shot about 600 rounds on the factory stock and another 800 on the Manners that the Manners hasn't really impacted group size, but it has made my cold bore shot much more repeatable. It's about .2 mils high and then the rest of the shots are all the same POI. Past that, my gun is 1/2 MOA, but is limited by shooter capabilities. When I pull one, I know it. Otherwise, they're all touching.

Personally, I looked at the Bravo and after accounting for the stock, a mag, shipping, tax, etc., it was about $100 less than buying a Manners off of scopelist. I had the chance to play around with a Bravo and the only reason I'd buy it over a Manners is for weight purposes. For stability, ergonomics, ease of adjustability, customer service, and quality, I'd buy the Manners 8 days a week. JMHO

Just got my Bravo installed that accepts CTR mags. Went with Harris inline direct mount. Seems to drop and hold CTR mags very well. I also don’t think I’ll need the LOP spacers that came with it either. It seems very comfortable and I’m pretty sure I’ll like it better than the factory stock.
9C3E4AB1-33E6-4FDA-AAF1-7014B70F097A.jpeg

Just got my Bravo installed that accepts CTR mags. Went with Harris inline direct mount. Seems to drop and hold CTR mags very well. I also don’t think I’ll need the LOP spacers that came with it either. It seems very comfortable and I’m pretty sure I’ll like it better than the factory stock. View attachment 7323188
That looks great. If they'd had this option when I purchased, I certainly would have bought it. The mag is a $100 add-on for those of us not already invested in AICS. So the price difference goes up a bunch between Bravo and Manners now that they offer the CTR option. And I do like the look of it and it's certainly a big upgrade over the factory stock. Stocks are the only factory component that doesn't live up to Tikka's quality and performance standards - they are cheap and uncomfortable.

We just installed a Bravo / CTR on my brother’s 6.5 CTR. He had previously been content with the factory stock because he wanted to keep the weight down (and didn’t know what he didn’t know). Installation was a breeze. He wanted 2 spacers installed on the butt. His scope is mounted as low as he can, hunter style, so the cheek rest worked in the lowest position. The CTR mags fit perfectly without any adjustments

We went the the range... No POI shift at all. He found it very comfortable to shoot and preferred it over the factory as it made the rifle easier to control and easier to get a cheek weld.

He let me shoot it and I put 3 in the same hole at 100, using Hornady factory ammo. Probably a .2-.3 group at the most. He then added one to the group that enlarged the hole a bit.

Bottom line, He is very happy with it and doesn’t notice any additional weight...

Hoping to make it out next week to try out my Bravo and hope I have same experience as what you and your brother did!