• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock options for Savage 110 tactical in 308

Mike Casselton

Team Beer and Donuts.
Minuteman
  • Nov 25, 2007
    Lithia, FL
    There doesn't seem to be very many options for replacing the crappy tupperware that this rifle came with. I would love to get one of the B&C tacticals with the aluminum bedding block, but they are only available for the short actions.

The price of a Mac is out of the question.

So, Choate makes one (Not the Plaster designed one) but is it worth spending the money on it.

My other option is to get a Stocky's laminate (looks like the Anschutz design)and have it inletted for the long action.

Any other ideas out there??

Someone have one for sale???

Help a brother out...??

Thanks guys

Re: Stock options for Savage 110 tactical in 308

Keep your eye on McMillan's "Specials" page.. they have deals out there often.

You could contact Kevin Rayhill about one of his stocks.

There is also Manners, but you are back to the cost similar to McMillan.

There are a few chasis systems out or coming out soon like McRee (spelling?) etc.

Bell and Carlson also..

Call us (Manners) in the morning and see what our open stock options are, I can tell you that at this moment we have a T2A, T4's, a SL, and a T1 that are currently open and not inletted yet. If you choose one of those stocks, we'll inlet for your action, bottom metal, and barrel contour. You can get what you want out of those stocks without the 13-16 week wait time. It's a couple weeks to get the inletting and paint done and out on a open non-inletted stock.

Give us a call, 816-283-3334 tomorrow.

Branden

Branden,

I'm pretty sure your stocks are out of my budget range. That's the reason I stated the Mac was out. If you have something inletted for the 110 with a heavy barrel, I can bed and finish it. The biggest issue is still the price though.

How much are we talkin' about?

if you're looking to save some $$$, call Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Gunstocks, order a "Money Saver", it's not a Manners, but IMHO, it is the best "cheap" option

I picked up a bell and carlson heavy barrel stock for my savage from cabelas. Cost $100.00 to $120.00 depending on if you want the plain black or black web. It works real well for me. About to get another for my 300WM. I save my money and get the black since I camo it up anyway.

I am in the same boat as you my friend. I have a Savage model 116 that has a detachable box magazine that I am looking to buy a stock for. I am also low on funds (who isn't) and looking at the Choate to solve all my stock needs. But if I do buy this stock, I will have to inlet it myself for the DBM. I have never done any modifications to my rifle and being a newbie, I have to ask if it is difficult to inlet the stock? If I cant do it, does anyone know a ball park price on what a gunsmith would charge on inletting?

Thanks for your time,
    Josh

Was that the duramaxx? If they have a wider forend, I can go that route and just stiffen the forend a bit, give it a proper bedding and get to shooting.

The worst group out of this rifle was just over 3/4" and best was .396. I figure if it can do that with that stock and shooting off a bipod, A good stock and bedding should really wake it up.

My guy usually gets llike $75 for an acraglass bedding job, I buy it myself and take him marine Tex, don't care for acraglass, not as durable IMO. Synthetic stocks can be a little tough to cut on, I suggest farming them out, or get a wood stock and try it, it's not that hard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Long Range 4 Life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am in the same boat as you my friend. I have a Savage model 116 that has a detachable box magazine that I am looking to buy a stock for. I am also low on funds (who isn't) and looking at the Choate to solve all my stock needs. But if I do buy this stock, I will have to inlet it myself for the DBM. I have never done any modifications to my rifle and being a newbie, I have to ask if it is difficult to inlet the stock? If I cant do it, does anyone know a ball park price on what a gunsmith would charge on inletting?

Thanks for your time,
    Josh </div></div>

I know most people like to say this over on the optics forum, but it really rings true, and I know this from personal experience in doing incremental upgrades over time. "Buy once, cry once". Buy glass that'll last you a long time, buy a stock you'll never need to upgrade, buy a rifle that's easy to do gunsmithing on (oh wait, the only one that's easy is a Savage...check!). The only thing I bought that followed the 'ol buy once, cry once process was my scope, and what sucks is that I didn't learn my lesson from that as it was the first thing I bought!

Branden

pdccustom.com

Craig is great to work with and will make you anything you want. He made me a Savage 110 stock last Summer.

I've got a Duramaxx on a Savage .308 that I don't have a single complaint about, but when I built a heavy barrel .30-06, I ordered a woodchuck from Kevin at Stockade. Great guy, great product.

Finances being what they are, I think I will grab a Duramaxx and give it a proper bedding. Later on down the road, I will upgrade as finances permit.

If I could get that cheap assed ex of mine to pay some child support, I would have more descretionary income. Two teen aged girls eat up a lot of money...

Oh well, I would rather be poor and have them live with me instead of that kooky woman.

Thanks for the help gents

Try it without bedding it first. Mine shot so well, I left it alone. I'm sure I just got lucky, but who knows, maybe you'll win the lottery too.

Cowboy, is the Duramaxx a varmint style forend?

I hope so, because I don't want to replace my tupperware with another skinny stock.
    smile.gif