• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stock question - McMillan

Irish_11

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2017
Western, Wa
Excuse the new guy question, but here is what I have. I purchased an older 700 that someone wanted to build into an M40a1-ish clone. Only, they did it very sloppy.

2134124.jpg

The PO did not know what they were doing and purchased a McMillan m40 HTG with a blind magazine. They then cut it out (sloppy cut) for a BDL bottom, only they did not make it large enough The floor plate that is on there is from a Winchester M70 that was cut and bolted back together. I have since taken it out of that stock and dropped the 700 into a Bell and Carlson M40. My question is what would you do with the McMillan stock now if it were you? My smith recommended:

1) Have it inletted for the 700 BDL bottom, and fill the remaining space (like I said it was a sloppy cut) with epoxy and paint it (the remaining epoxy, not the entire stock. Its not a horrible amount of inletting that would need to be done, but it wont be show quality since it needs to have some filler added.
2) Sell it as is to someone who wants a project. But I have no idea of the value of the stock as is. Outside the sloppy inletting its in great shape. Thoughts on a value?

Thank you! I like the look of it. I might just hold onto it and make a M40-ish clone some day, but thought I would ask.

McMillan sells material to patch in the fiberglass.

Inlet it correctly, use a little filler, nice stock in the end.

It has value.

Ps, I've seen people sand off the texture in the fiberglass than polish the fiberglass backup in order to make a more close semblance to an issue stock.

Look into getting it cut for a Badger M5 or M4 floor plate. The M4 may be enough to clean up that cluster. It wouldn't be clone correct but its better than that fiasco.

I fit a DD Ross M40A3 bottom metal in mine. Its a burly ass piece of metal and it has USMC pedigree...

P9107545.JPG

McMillan sells material to patch in the fiberglass.

Inlet it correctly, use a little filler, nice stock in the end.

It has value.

Thanks. This is what I was thinking. I think I'll hold onto it and see if I can build something cool with it down the road.

Look into getting it cut for a Badger M5 or M4 floor plate. The M4 may be enough to clean up that cluster. It wouldn't be clone correct but its better than that fiasco.

Noted. Thank you. I'll look into that. Seems like a good option to keep it operational.

I fit a DD Ross M40A3 bottom metal in mine. Its a burly ass piece of metal and it has USMC pedigree...

Had it out today. Its a shooter....

That is some good shooting! I'll look into that bottom setup as well. I think that is the right idea. It may note be pretty, but I love the look of the M40 series of rifles. the history behind them is what drew me to this "clone" in the first place. The smear stock just looks good in my opinion.

Last edited:
Those are Forest stocks.

If what happened to your stock happened to a Smear that would be criminal.

Get in touch with McMillan and see how they can help you out with patching/re inletting unless you feel confident in that work. I bet they will help you out.