• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock recommendations for Rem 700 SPS .308

TigerHK

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2009
New Jersey
I keep reading about the stock needing to be changed on the SPS due to it's plastic nature. I have a new one, waiting to shoot this weekend (I'm a beginner). Can anybody recommend other stocks, or should I wait a while until my skills improve?

Re: Stock recommendations for Rem 700 SPS .308

i would spend the money you have on better glass right now, shoot the piss out of it and then upgrade the stock. But here is a word of advice, get behind the stocks that you narrow it down to first to see if they fit you ergonomically and comfortably

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i would spend the money you have on better glass right now, shoot the piss out of it and then upgrade the stock. But here is a word of advice, get behind the stocks that you narrow it down to first to see if they fit you ergonomically and comfortably </div></div>

I have a Burris Fullfield II 6.5-20 x 50, with mil dots.

whats your budget for a stock then? Under 500 Bell and Carlson 600 and up AICS, Manners, McMillan, McRee Precision

I would say 500-600 unless I can pick up a used one of the higher end from gunbroker or something.

browse through the optics and accessories here, great deals come up from time to time. If you have that to spend id get into a Bell and Carlso or HS Precision( i hate HS by the way) and spend the rest of that money on ammo or reloading gear

On a budget?, you might try the new Choate Tactical model. A Savage 10fp I recently bought came with it and it's quite a shooter. Was so impressed that I bought that same stock for a 700SA but have since went to an AICS. The Choate Tactical is up fore sale. PM me for more details.

Original....
IMG_0794.jpg

After barrel bobbing and Krylon...
IMG_1470.jpg

JWPrecision.com has the McM tactical stock "in stock" and you dont have to wait. REALLY GOOD PRICES TOO. the A4's will run in between 500-600. I would spent the money on the McMillan personally. I have one of the Choate stocks and its HEAVY like the B&C A5 tactical/ medalist. like Deadly said.....get behind them and shoot to see what is right for you. you can also PM JWPrecision. he is on here

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Nice looking!!! Did the cheek piece come with it?</div></div>

I emailed Choate about getting a shorter cheek piece and they informed me that they could supply one.I told them about the one that came with my rifle that was a tad to high and they said the tacticals do not come with any cheek piece. Go figure?? I can say that the Savage action is a bit taller than the M700 and I needed a little height and the Rem I did not.
The Remington model I bought by itself did not come with one.

B&C stocks are great, I have an "A2" style stock from them and it's great.

I bought an HS Precision take off stock from the 700VS. Its a PSV002 if I'm not mistaken. You can get them for 250 ish on gunbroker. As far as buying the stock, the only reason I did it is becuase I will be Duracoating my rifle. Other then the forend flexing I really love the stock. It feels good, gives you great positive control, I just can't paint it without it turning out looking like crap.
Keep the stock for the time being. Shoot it and get a feel for it. And as Deadly0311 said, get behind the stocks to see which fits you best.

Dont forget Stockade stocks. The specialize in Savage, but Kevin turns out
marpat2.jpg

a good 700 stock as well.

I would stay away from the B&C stocks unless it's the Bell & Carlson Medalist "Light Tactical". The Bell & Carlson Medalist Tactical/Varmint commonly referred to as the "B&C A5 stock" is a heavy and cumbersome stock for field work. For range shooting/bench shooting it's a great stock.
http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=47

I dropped my sps tactical into a H&S Precision 700P stock. You can normally get those as new take off's from Mike R. @ Tac-Ops for $225ish.
http://www.tacticaloperations.com/ 310-275-8797

However if you have to money to spend I would suggest a Manner's stock. Excellent stocks.
http://mannersstocks.com/Tactical.html

Or a McMillan stock, again a excellent stock.
http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-tactical.php\

Pay attention to the classified section here on the Hide. Every stock I suggested gets routinely sold around here. There are vendors here on the hide that carry new stocks with less wait time than contacting the companies directly.