• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

stock selection

Staghead556

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2010
looking for some opinions on upgrading my stock..i have a savage 10fcp with a fluted heavy barrel and dbm...my initial intention was to get a mcmillan a5 but it seems now that the consensus is that it will cost me like 800 $..i was under the impression i could just get the stock for around 500 and drop right into it..but i have also been urged to check out the choate tactical which seems alot cheaper...also someone said to check out their custom tactical but choates website says they are on for remi 700s..do they make a custom tac for savages? let me hear some input guys..this place is the mecca for shooting info so ill thank yall in advance

Re: stock selection

The price will vary depending on what options you get on the stock but i can give you an exact quote if you know what specs you want?

well i was interested in an a5 in camo possibly with adj cheek piece(just depends on how much extra that is)..also do they come compatible to take my bottom metal or is that something extra i will have to buy?

oh and of coursr sling and bipod mounts...umm i think that covers it..im a nwbie to boltguns..anything else i might want/need?

basically i want a direct replacement for my current junkie stock..i wanna be able to get it..drop it in and be done with it

Choate tactical, comes inletted for the magazine (make sure you buy the correct one).
They are very good stocks and cost 200 bucks. They also have a full length aluminum bedding block, no need to bed the rifle.

The McMillan does not have a bedding block, you will either need to install pillars or have it glass bedded.

So for 200 bucks you can have a drop in stock, torque the screws and go shoot, maybe tape a section of old mouse pad to give you the proper cheek weld OR spend 600 + dollars, then have it bedded (or do it yourself and chance screwing it up).

The McMillan is a top notch stock, it just irks me that after you spend all that money, you need to bed the damn thing.

Another alternative: Stockade Stocks, by the unfinished model and fill it and paint it yourself. You'll be out about 300 and have a an exceptional stock painted the way you want it.

go onto gunbroker their is a guy steelman77 that sells the a5 for like $400ish dollars. search work mcmillan i have dealt with him before good dude. if you want the adj. comb just send it to terry cross kmwsolutions his hardware is the shit!!!

I have one of Stockade's stocks, and like it. Planning on another one in the future for a 260 build. There are quite a few options when ordering, so you can get just what you want.
http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/stocks.html

Stocky's has the Bell&Carlson stocks that many people are happy with, and the HS Precision that came factory on my Savage FCPHS 308.
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-SAVAGE-CENTERFEED/Categories

The HS Precision, and the Stockade are both rigid and I like them alot. The Bell&Carlson gets good reviews all the time, but I have not tried one myself.

yeah but the issue with b&c and manners and hs is that i would have to do other things to them ...cant just get one of them and drop right into...and with that chaote weighing 3.5lbs that put the rifle close to 14 pnds prolly..

The short answer to your question is that you can just drop your barreled action into most of the stocks mentioned, but performance may or may not be good. The problem is that barreled actions - or any factory-produced action - aren't 100% consistent. In other words, no two Remington or Savage barreled actions are going to be identical - there are going to be slight variations in some dimensions that are acceptable being within the specified clearance/tolerance ranges. Therefore, for a stock to allow a barreled action to "drop-in" it must be made on the looser side of the clearance/tolerance range. Skim bedding, pillar bedding and bedding blocks compensate for the slight variations between the mass-produced barreled action and the "drop-in" stock.

Manners makes a Chassis system that will allow a barreled action to be dropped and bolted in without suffering too many ill effects of "loose" clearances. It is not particularly cheap.

ugh..seems to be that this is semi retarded..why cant someone just make a light weight fully equipped stock at a reasonable price..guess im asking to much

Yes and no..., it would be relatively simple to make the type of stock you seek if the rifles themselves could be held to tighter tolerances. They could, but then they would cost four figures instead of three. So, as with most things in life, we must make compromises. Marine-Tex is a pretty decent and cheap compromise.