• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stock Sponge Painting

Just got done doing this one. I sprayed it with 3 coats of matte clear and it came out a little too shiny but not bad for a first time.
A513C8B9-E46B-4B8D-A31B-8E4BABC320AB.jpeg

. When I got home I realized the sponges were harder than a three day erection

Most sponges are hard when you buy them. Wet them, let them sit a few hours then use like normal. The paint will also soften them but it will take a lot of paint and time to really soak in and make them soft.

Makes me smile to see that ugly-assed scope on such a beautiful camo job!

Come on..... it's only a scope... SPRAY IT!!!

By the way, I have the same ugly-assed scope and was thinking of hitting it on the next Duracoat session.

Literally laughed out loud..

Professionals use Freedom Sponges they retain paint better then a kitchen sponge.

Reactions: TACC
I have a chassis that's already black if I want my base to be black do I just leave it then sponge over or will it look funky because the original black is anodized?

It will be fine as a dark base, pick your colors and have fun. If you don't like it scrub it off with some acetone. It will still take a bit of elbow grease to get Krylon off.

I would use a sponge and tap off most of the paint (with the black) and finish off with a super light imprint of black over the lighter colors. It will dive more definition

Ya it is. I didn’t even realize that. I’ll try and get better pics up tomorrow.
Turned out really well for my first sponge attempt. I’m very happy with it.

That’s one of the best sponge paint jobs I’ve seen so far. I wouldn’t change a thing. What paint/colors did you use?

That’s one of the best sponge paint jobs I’ve seen so far. I wouldn’t change a thing. What paint/colors did you use?

Krylon Camo green, grey and a custom mixed brown.

My contribution, even if it is necro-ing a post. I went with a dark timber type theme. I used a base of brown and tan. I then did sponges of different sizes textures of green, khaki, black, and brown. I then did some black sprays for contrast and a farther away dusting with tan. I gave it two coats of matte clear coat. Love the result.

4-D7869-CC-00-A7-4-EB9-908-D-5-A58-CBE2427-F.jpg

7-F1-AFEF7-D63-B-4211-819-C-85-A33-CEBE08-C.jpg

AC8-B2-F10-3701-46-ED-BB66-810-F96-D59-C9-E.jpg

79-B7-E193-D0-AE-4-F87-9-DCF-436-CE8-F7-C0-BC.jpg