• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stocks options for Rem 600 McMillan, MPI, Boyds?

R Moran

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2014
Tooele, Utah
Awhile back I bought a Rem 600 off Gunbroker. Has a heavy fluted Hart barrel in 308, Timney trigger, and an unknown synthetic stock. Pretty sure it was a silhouette gun. I took the Millett R700 base and Sightron scope off, and put a base from Murphy Precision on, with a SWFA SS 12x scope.
I'm far from an expert long range guy, but it seems to shoot well.
My issue is the stock has a 14.5" LOP. I'm 5'4", 5'5" depending on what convenience store I'm leaving, so it's uncomfortable to shoot....I haven't shot it much since I got it. My local gunsmith, who is pretty switched on, thinks it's an old B&C stock and can't be shortened. Hell, it may be from one of the small custom makers that silhouette shooters talk about.

Anyway...I was thinking about a McMillan HTG type stock. It looks like McMillan doesn't inlet for them anymore....they have not replied to an email yet. So it looks like my options are:

Get a flat top Mcmillan and send it all to LRI...that looks to be over $1K by the time I'm done

Get a Boyds pro varmint, and have my local guy bed it...probably the cheapest and simplest route.

An MPI stock. What little I find on them is mixed reviews. A gunsmith on GBer lists some of their stocks. Extreme Rifle Works, he says he can order a Sendero style stock inletted for the 600, and do the fitting, etc. Not sure of the cost, but judging by his asking prices on GBer, it'll be somewhere between the McMillan and Boyds.
Anyone have any experience with the MPI stocks?

Every gun I've bought lately has turned into a project. And, I'm wondering if this is worth the effort. But, it's got a good barrel, trigger, scope and base...dated action though.

Any thoughts?

I pretty sure the action inlet for a 600 the same as a Model 7. BUT, I believe the rear action screw is not quite in the same place ( rear tangs are different lengths ). If so, you might have to drill / tap the tang for your rear action screw. But, I think McMillan could accommodate the order. Call them to see. (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: R Moran
I pretty sure the action inlet for a 600 the same as a Model 7. BUT, I believe the rear action screw is not quite in the same place ( rear tangs are different lengths ). If so, you might have to drill / tap the tang for your rear action screw. But, I think McMillan could accommodate the order. Call them to see. (y)
McMillan just got back to me. They no longer inlet for the 600, but will produce a flat top in a Remington tang

Why would you not be able to shorten to the stock? That’s a pretty standard procedure.

Why would you not be able to shorten to the stock? That’s a pretty standard procedure.
Got me, I'm not a smith. Just what he told me. You can squeeze the sides together at the butt....probably thin a shell and hollow or foam inside?

I have yet to see a stock that couldn’t be shortened. In the case of yours being hollow or foam in the Butt stock it is simply a matter of using epoxy to glue in a wood block to give a surface for the new pad to be anchored to. Worst case if it’s injection molded some effort may be needed to ensure a mechanical lock of the epoxy to the stock.

Reactions: R Moran
I have yet to see a stock that couldn’t be shortened. In the case of yours being hollow or foam in the Butt stock it is simply a matter of using epoxy to glue in a wood block to give a surface for the new pad to be anchored to. Worst case if it’s injection molded some effort may be needed to ensure a mechanical lock of the epoxy to the stock.
Well, there is an FN PBR for sale locally. I already have a Mcmillan HTG stock for it, and hinged bottom metal...so I think I'm just gonna buy that, and sell or otherwise sideline the R600