• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Storing your Bolt Action

PhilaMike

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2011
Phila, PA
Does anyone store their Bolt Action Dry Fired on a snap cap to relieve the tension on the Firing Pin Spring?

Is the storage with it compressed negligible?

Just curious...

Mike

Re: Storing your Bolt Action

If you think about it, a bolt spring, provided it is installed in a bolt, is in a permanent state of tension anyway.

Don't worry about it. It won't wear out any time soon.

Why a snap cap? Just pull the trigger.

Or maybe check the chamber first, then pull the trigger.
laugh.gif

Sorry. I assume people are smart enough to realize that. I guess I shouldn't
wink.gif

I used to use snap caps for this, but now I drop the bolt handle while the trigger is pulled to de-cock it.

I've seen too many old springfields, mausers, mosins, even had an 1891 stamped Gew 88. Never seen a weak spring. Not saying it can't happen, I'm sure it does, but I'm not worried about it.

i use snap caps or just hold the trigger as i close the bolt, decocks the spring just fine

but its just for peace of mind, i dont think it really matters.

I've been told 3 lines of thought. Just put it on safe with to store it with bolt in. Pull the bolt out store so if something happens like a water pipe breaks or a flood at least the gun isn't rusted shut. Or ride the bolt home while holding the trigger on an empty chamber taking some of the pressure of the spring.

I prefer the bolt out of the gun if I have it in a pelican case traveling. Otherwise if its in my safe I de-cock it as mentioned above. Have not found any of the above to be better then the others.

I'm curious if storing it with the bolt out of the gun with some kind of humidity control present would help preserve the barrel.

Storing the bolt out of the rifle, with the bolt locked up in the other part of the house may discourage theft.

In the past I have, for security, removed the bolts and stored them in a separate lockable cabinet (I think this is actually recommended practice or even a legal requirement in the UK??).

But that became a bit of a PITA when the cabinet got too full and it took a while to sort through 9 or 10 bolts everytime you wanted to take a rifle out...I was also worried about damaging the bolts in the tangle so at one point had them all in separate bolt sheaths.

IMHO, setting aside the possible damage to the firing pin spring being under maximum tension, storing the rifle with the bolt closed could potentially lead to some accidents if you were ever to inadvertently leave rounds in the mag....as Rob says, you assume everyone is safety conscious and wouldn't do this.....but accidents and oversights can and do happen.

I store my rifles with the bolts in and open, never closed.

Lets the air circulate and I have silica gel in the safe to soak up humidity.

I also leave rolled up kitchen towel in the chamber to soak uo any oil that may be tempted to leak back into the trigger group.