• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Straight Jacket Armory

Sometime I think folks respond quickly to emails and they don't read the way they intended them to. I've done that as a business owner before myself. The pressure to always respond quickly sometimes results in a less than stellar actual response.

That said, a month past the estimated time for a barrel with a blank that he had??? Can you get your money back and just go elsewhere? I don't know those guys but I'd be pretty unhappy as well.

It's strange that some are saying they don't get replies or call backs. Each time I've called, I've been able to talk to someone, emails were answered in less than 24hrs (in a couple instances it was almost immediate) and this was within the last 2-3 weeks. I even stumbled onto Nick in a Facebook shooting page talking about absolute frustrations regarding distributors giving him a set delivery date, then they were not following through, not to mention the call volume they are facing has grown exponentially. I've dealt with gunsmiths that never return calls or emails, it's incredibly frustrating to say the least. Sounds like they are willing to refund if that's what you want, but I doubt you'll have much luck finding parts elsewhere. Hell, I've been waiting 2 months on a set of go/no-go gages from PTG, frustrating, but I can't do much about it.

Good luck with that! PTG is off the charts bad with com's and timelines. I finally got mine after many months. (They said the gauges were. In stock, which is why I ordered them from PTG and not elsewhere).

On 1-26-21 i spoke to nick. I asked for a prefit for my impact precision action. He said all he had in stock was a proof stainless barrel. I agreed and placed my order. he said it would take a couple of months. I said no issue.
Its now 4-25-21 no barrel.
When i inquired (email) i got an email thanking me for not calling in. No other explanation.
i replied asking again for a status where is my barrel?
Again i got the thanks for not calling in.
must be nice to be able to placate
Clients with bs emails.

The quality of their work is great, but yeh it is a long wait. I placed my order in November, and I am guessing I'll probably get it in a month or two. I was guessing about 6months to get the barrel.

I called Proof and they estimated 10 months to get a barrel to me.

I am fully prepared to wait a year for a barrel considering the current climate, but that kind of gives me the freedom to order from where ever and whoever I want. Simple question for those with SJA experience: Would you still choose them over other smiths, even with them experiencing these growing pains and supply line crunch?

Yes there barrels are worth the wait. My last one was ordered in August and I took ownership in March.

I ordered a action in October and just received that 2 weeks ago .. everyone is backed up

Sometime I think folks respond quickly to emails and they don't read the way they intended them to. I've done that as a business owner before myself. The pressure to always respond quickly sometimes results in a less than stellar actual response.

That said, a month past the estimated time for a barrel with a blank that he had??? Can you get your money back and just go elsewhere? I don't know those guys but I'd be pretty unhappy as well.
Yes sir I get that. I also get he is a small business(im a one man show myself). That said, I dont take work i cannot complete on time. I respond to my clients. Above all else i am honest with them.(I am very patient when folks are honest). I would have taken (hey i screwed the pooch. I am human and made a bad call on your part). I am sure they want to run a good business(heck i do to).
Yes i did give them the option of returning my$$.

Yeh they will gladly return your $$. Their website and their business is pretty disjoint as in they haven't touched it, figured out how to update it much or update any of the ETAs stuff. It's actually run by someone else, same as the person doing the order taking. Nick is just out there cranking out barrels with Tristan. Proof stopped taking orders for 4months all together, so maybe SJA should also just turn off the site and stop taking orders too while they catch up.

I am fully prepared to wait a year for a barrel considering the current climate, but that kind of gives me the freedom to order from where ever and whoever I want. Simple question for those with SJA experience: Would you still choose them over other smiths, even with them experiencing these growing pains and supply line crunch?
Tale this with a grain of salt, as I haven't shot my barreled action yet, but I would not order from them again. They were way over the lead time, unless I contacted them, crickets with 0 information sent out voluntarily. I had to pay more money to get my barreled action, and after reaching out to talk to the maker of the original action I ordered, I'm not entirely sure I was told the truth by SJA. There are 2 sides to every story, and I have both, so I would be less inclined to do business with them again. You can see my post on page 3 about how long it took to get my stuff.

Tale this with a grain of salt, as I haven't shot my barreled action yet, but I would not order from them again. They were way over the lead time, unless I contacted them, crickets with 0 information sent out voluntarily. I had to pay more money to get my barreled action, and after reaching out to talk to the maker of the original action I ordered, I'm not entirely sure I was told the truth by SJA. There are 2 sides to every story, and I have both, so I would be less inclined to do business with them again. You can see my post on page 3 about how long it took to get my stuff.

That you KH?

Simply call and talk to Nick or Tristan. They get a metric ton of emails. Everyone is backlogged now. IMO, you are better off buying and shipping them your barrel, then waiting for their distributors to send their supply. I have 4 barrels from them. They’re all lasers (Proofs and Bartleins).

Yes sir I get that. I also get he is a small business(im a one man show myself). That said, I dont take work i cannot complete on time. I respond to my clients. Above all else i am honest with them.(I am very patient when folks are honest). I would have taken (hey i screwed the pooch. I am human and made a bad call on your part). I am sure they want to run a good business(heck i do to).
Yes i did give them the option of returning my$$.

Well, I can't argue with that. As you well know, it's not easy to run a business these days, but sounds like it wasn't handled all that well. They have a rep for putting out Very good barrels and guns, though. What do you mean "you gave them the option of returning your money" ??? Did you ask for it back and they said no?

I placed an order July 4, 2020. As the backlog and supply chain issues began around Fall I called Nick and he said if I would change from M24 to Competition Contour he had the blank in hand and could chamber and ship within 10 days. I accepted the change as it appeared it would be a Long Wait. He shipped within 10 days and I now have a 6.5X47 tack driver. Confirmed hits today out at 1250 yards. consistent groups at 100yds in the .3 or less. Glad I am shooting and not sitting. Would I be happy to order another barrel right now? Would be tough to wait. Feeling for you guys!

Reactions: Sprayed99
On 1-26-21 i spoke to nick. I asked for a prefit for my impact precision action. He said all he had in stock was a proof stainless barrel. I agreed and placed my order. he said it would take a couple of months. I said no issue.
Its now 4-25-21 no barrel.
When i inquired (email) i got an email thanking me for not calling in. No other explanation.
i replied asking again for a status where is my barrel?
Again i got the thanks for not calling in.
must be nice to be able to placate
Clients with bs emails.
No shocker there!!

Well, I can't argue with that. As you well know, it's not easy to run a business these days, but sounds like it wasn't handled all that well. They have a rep for putting out Very good barrels and guns, though. What do you mean "you gave them the option of returning your money" ??? Did you ask for it back and they said no?
We parted ways, and he emailed me saying he would refund my$$

I've had really good experience with Eric at Blue Mountain Precision, and I know I'm not alone. Straight Jacket has very good rep for quality stuff and they have it for a reason I'm sure, they may just be going through a tough time right now. Business is Business but it's still run by people, and people make mistakes. I'd absolutely recommend BMP to anyone for a really good barrel, but Straight Jacket also didn't get their rep for good stuff over night.

I ordered April 2020, and got my first update December 2020. About a 8 weeks ago, my barreled action was supposed to be sent out but then next email it was a hope “it wasn’t lost in transit” which would be impossible because they didn’t have my LGS FFL address, I did ask for a refund twice now and they wanted to figure out my situation. 🤷

I ordered April 2020, and got my first update December 2020. About a 8 weeks ago, my barreled action was supposed to be sent out but then next email it was a hope “it wasn’t lost in transit” which would be impossible because they didn’t have my LGS FFL address, I did ask for a refund twice now and they wanted to figure out my situation. 🤷
Good Luck with the whole situation!! You will be told again and again that the gun will be shipped tomorrow!! Problem is WHICH tomorrow!!

Ok, I need some advice. I'm looking for a reasonably priced long range rifle. In a facebook group 6.5 PRC, somebody recommended Straight Jacket Armory. They have a rifle specs below for $2,175. I can't find much on the internet about them. Do they make a good rifle? And is what they are offering worth the price?

Specs:
Big Horn Origin Action
Stainless match barrel (24" Heavy Paulma ) Cerakote Black
Timney trigger
Oryx Chassis

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 7060044
Looks the business

@AFGWS I just read your post. I ordered mine the same time you did. I canceled in on Dec 11th. I received My terminus on January 15th.
I then order another Terminus and received it 6 weeks later. Much happier with Terminus.

Reactions: AFGWS
Source your own parts and send them in, things always move faster that way.

Actions, Barrels, and Stocks at some of my favorite shops

Impact Precision
Altus
CS Tactical
On The Mark
Gunware
Evolved Ballistics
Deep South Tactical
SJA

Spread out your funds and support multiple businesses and get your rifle together faster by supplying your own parts. I work well with everyone at SJA, but if you can't handle a delay I would suggest you find another hobby until this current shit storm blows over.

I have had delays from several places this year, stop being cry babies! The old hide would have chewed you up and spit you out for this nonsense.

Reactions: Niles Coyote
i went to buy a barrel and web page says in stock, called them - 12 week wait .. luckily i called em

SJA hasn't been the only one Joel has jerked around on orders, again. a lot of shit is going down in this industry right now. I know another manufacturer where the owner has been known to work through the night... we are talking 2 and 3 days straight keeping machines running to keep up with demand. I happen to be in a business that is experiencing the same type of craziness and at first I was loving it, now I feel it is taking time off my life.

I however do communicate well with clients, but they also know the boundary and if its crossed they take their work elsewhere. I'm a business owner not a slave, it is hard to tell if clients actually understand that now. Everyone is so "me me me" now, and can't seem to get off their high horse to realize they are being self centered pricks.

Everyone is so "me me me" now, and can't seem to get off their high horse to realize they are being self centered pricks.
Says the one prancing around on a high horse trying to belittle everyone. Get out of here with that shit. Some of the complaints here are accusing SJA of straight up lying and jerking them along. If you want to defend that, I would seriously question your business ethics. If someone sucks at running their business, it makes sense to warn others until they get their crap together. I have more respect for businesses like Bartlein that just flat out tell ya "I have no idea when" versus those swearing they will get something shipped. It looks like most of this thread could of been avoided if they just accepted when to tell people "Shits fucked, can't promise anything."

Even then, I will still likely be placing an order with SJA next week. I have nothing but time.

Last edited:
Says the one prancing around on a high horse trying to belittle everyone. Get out of here with that shit. Some of the complaints here are accusing SJA of straight up lying and jerking them along. If you want to defend that, I would seriously question your business ethics. If someone sucks at running their business, it makes sense to warn others until they get their crap together. I have more respect for businesses like Bartlein that just flat out tell ya "I have no idea when" versus those swearing they will get something shipped. It looks like most of this thread could of been avoided if they just accepted when to tell people "Shits fucked, can't promise anything."

Even then, I will still likely be placing an order with SJA next week. I have nothing but time.
Who in the hell am I belittling because I said stop crying? really? I'm not agreeing with SJAs lack of communication, Things can be sped up by sourcing your own parts and the whole industry is getting their faces kicked in so delays are everywhere.

I'm simply saying the bitching about delays is getting a little old and there is no way in hell I think anyone can stick to a timeline unless you were asking them when they were going to take a shit while they are taking a shit.

Could SJA have said what Bartlein did? Maybe, but I would bet the response wouldn't be the same as those to Bartlein. Bartlein is a pretty large name in this game where SJA is a much smaller fish, but either way they went they were fucked for taking on the orders, that I can agree with.

Last edited:
I've dealt with gunsmiths like this many times....promise you a completion date and then miss it again and again. I can see missing it by a week or two but I have a friend that was promised 6 weeks, back in October, and still hasn't seen his rifle.

In the meantime, my smith said 2-3 weeks on my last build, finished in less than one, and the second group out of the barrel shot .3 MOA so he obviously knows what he is doing.

I have had delays from several places this year, stop being cry babies! The old hide would have chewed you up and spit you out for this nonsense.

I'm not being a cry baby about anything. I am simply stating what my experience was with them, and why I wouldn't be buying from them again. I ordered my barrel and action in August, and asked if they could possibly hit their 8 week lead time that was on the website. The guy taking my order said probably not, but said they should have it done in about 10 weeks. I was getting ready to deploy in October, so if it was going to go past that, no biggie as I wasn't in that much of a hurry. At week 10, I called for an update and was told my barrel was done, they were just waiting on an action from Terminus. I called again in the first part of December, and was once again told that my barrel was done, but that they were waiting on actions, but should be January. I called beginning of January, and was told it should be shipping inside of 2 weeks and I will have a tracking number. I waited until February and got the same answer, waiting on your action. At this point, I only had a couple months left in country and told Nick that when I called. Finally in the beginning of March, I called and was told that they could not get an action from Terminus straight up. Nick gave me my options of taking my barrel, refunding me my money for the action and buying straight from Terminus, or switching actions. I asked what he had in stock on the shelf, he said he had an impact 737R, but that it would be around a $250 upcharge for that particular action. I just told them to do it because all I wanted was my barrel and action at the FFL before I got home from deployment. My action hit my FFL on the 19th of March. I messaged Joel at Terminus, and was given his side of the story, which did not match at all to what I was being told. I get that there are 2 sides to every story, and the truth is generally some where in the middle, but this is starting to be a consistent pattern as this thread shows. I will take your advice though and buy all my own components myself next time, and take them to a local smith that I can go face to face with if there are any issues.

I'm not being a cry baby about anything. I am simply stating what my experience was with them, and why I wouldn't be buying from them again. I ordered my barrel and action in August, and asked if they could possibly hit their 8 week lead time that was on the website. The guy taking my order said probably not, but said they should have it done in about 10 weeks. I was getting ready to deploy in October, so if it was going to go past that, no biggie as I wasn't in that much of a hurry. At week 10, I called for an update and was told my barrel was done, they were just waiting on an action from Terminus. I called again in the first part of December, and was once again told that my barrel was done, but that they were waiting on actions, but should be January. I called beginning of January, and was told it should be shipping inside of 2 weeks and I will have a tracking number. I waited until February and got the same answer, waiting on your action. At this point, I only had a couple months left in country and told Nick that when I called. Finally in the beginning of March, I called and was told that they could not get an action from Terminus straight up. Nick gave me my options of taking my barrel, refunding me my money for the action and buying straight from Terminus, or switching actions. I asked what he had in stock on the shelf, he said he had an impact 737R, but that it would be around a $250 upcharge for that particular action. I just told them to do it because all I wanted was my barrel and action at the FFL before I got home from deployment. My action hit my FFL on the 19th of March. I messaged Joel at Terminus, and was given his side of the story, which did not match at all to what I was being told. I get that there are 2 sides to every story, and the truth is generally some where in the middle, but this is starting to be a consistent pattern as this thread shows. I will take your advice though and buy all my own components myself next time, and take them to a local smith that I can go face to face with if there are any issues.
What was Joel's story?

What was Joel's story?

Below is what I received from Joel. Just to make sure all info is out there, when I talked to Nick, he said he couldn't get ahold of anyone at Terminus. I messaged Terminus and Joel replied very quickly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210429-075439_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20210429-075439_Messenger.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 193
I have a Smith here in Amarillo who does good work and has a short turnaround. PM me if you’re interested and I’ll give you his number.

Below is what I received from Joel. Just to make sure all info is out there, when I talked to Nick, he said he couldn't get ahold of anyone at Terminus. I messaged Terminus and Joel replied very quickly.
Good to know as I was planning to order a Zeus Barreled action from them in the near future.

SJA is amazing to work with, but lead times suck right now and it is not nick's fault. I have 2 prefits from nick and they shoot .3moa all day long.

Sorry forgot to mention...
1 proof in 6brx
1 bartlien in 6.5cm

on order 1 rimx in 22lr.

I just received my .300win mag Big Horn barreled action from SJA. I was quoted 10-12weeks buts was also told at the time of ordering it would probably be a little longer. Placed my order on 1/12 and had it in hand 16 weeks later.

I placed my order over the phone and had a couple conversations and emails within that time frame. All the phone calls were pleasant but I did feel they rushed answering the emails and didn’t quite answer all my questions.

Nick called when all my parts were in and confirmed my build before assembling. He talked me out of fluting which I really just wanted for the looks since I don’t plan on hunting with it or using it for any PRS type matches. I’m sure that also cut my lead time down a week or two.

Overall I am happy with service I received. Hoping to hit the range this weekend to see how she shoots.

As crazy as things are right now, there are still way too many options out there to wait 6+ months for a barrel.

I picked a barrel that was on the shelf with a premium barrel maker and asked them to do a custom contour on it to shave weight on 4/26. On 5/5 the custom contoured barrel was at my house. The BA and rebarrel jobs I’ve had done in the past year both took less than a month. I hope folks keep signing up for 6-12 month waits and leave the easy pickings available..

As crazy as things are right now, there are still way too many options out there to wait 6+ months for a barrel.

I picked a barrel that was on the shelf with a premium barrel maker and asked them to do a custom contour on it to shave weight on 4/26. On 5/5 the custom contoured barrel was at my house. The BA and rebarrel jobs I’ve had done in the past year both took less than a month. I hope folks keep signing up for 6-12 month waits and leave the easy pickings available..

Yeah I totally agree. I don't know why anyone would wait that long. A little longer for the guy you want to do it... yeah that makes sense.... 6 months??? I don't think so.

Eric at Blue Mountain Precision had a top tier blank. (A few options actually), and got me my barrel in under a week from when it was ordered. I will even have the fluted on in about 3 weeks total, and he sends that out to be fluted before chambers it! (His barrels freaking hammer too). No way I'd wait some ridiculous amount of time if I didn't have to.

Reactions: Stoweit

Who did you use ?

Not sure if I’m the black cloud but my experience with them was complete trash and wouldn’t give them another dime. Called to ask if they had a bartlein 22cal blank in stock and they said they had 1 so I ordered. They told me 6-8 weeks. 12 weeks goes by and I call, well they sold the barrel that I had bought to someone else. So then they tell me they have a proof barrel in stock that I can do. Okay fine. Well now it’s in a heavy Palma vs the sendero I wanted, oh well just want a barrel. They tell me they are going to cut it that week. Another 3 weeks goes by and nothing. Call and they give me the same bullshit answer oh yeah it’s getting cut today. Finally get the barrel and the chamber isn’t cut to length for the dummy round I send them. All in all I waited 5 months for a barrel that was supposed to be in stock twice and then cut on 6 different occasions, and that had a chamber cut for saami spec 5.56. They fuckin suck in my opinion

Reactions: deersniper
Yes fuck them. Ordered a barrel they said they had in stock. Then heard about the atrocious lead times to canceled it two days later. They charged me 7 percent. ($78.00). Never again.

Add in them trashing Terminus saying their actions are “hard to get” and lying to people etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucreau
Yes fuck them. Ordered a barrel they said they had in stock. Then heard about the atrocious lead times to canceled it two days later. They charged me 7 percent. ($78.00). Never again.

Add in them trashing Terminus saying their actions are “hard to get” and lying to people etc
Now I agree this is bullshit.

I emailed them the other day asking about turn around time on a barreled action; I am in no rush. I was asked what I was looking for. I replied to which they said Terminus actions are difficult to get right now and offered a Curtis Customs (🤮) & said they had my contoured barrel blank in-stock ready to go.

I don’t feel like they are trying to push me a bad product by offering Curtis just that the barrel is in stock so to delay as much waiting as possible, it’s an option to consider. However, they never did mention a turn around time which is kinda annoying.

Either way, I am likely going to place an order & wait 6-8+ months for a Zeus.

I emailed them the other day asking about turn around time on a barreled action; I am in no rush. I was asked what I was looking for. I replied to which they said Terminus actions are difficult to get right now and offered a Curtis Customs (🤮) & said they had my contoured barrel blank in-stock ready to go.

I don’t feel like they are trying to push me a bad product by offering Curtis just that the barrel is in stock so to delay as much waiting as possible, it’s an option to consider. However, they never did mention a turn around time which is kinda annoying.

Either way, I am likely going to place an order & wait 6-8+ months for a Zeus.
Why don’t you call and talk to terminus. Probably have your action within a week.

He texts too which is nice.

Talk to them about straight jacket also

Last edited:
Reactions: wind gypsy
Why don’t you call and talk to terminus. Probably have your action within a week.

He texts too which is nice.

Talk to them about straight jacket also
Already did. He said there is no issues between him & SJ. “I typically send them a few actions here and there. If you order from them, just make sure they order from me. That’s where guys got in trouble. The Zeus are taking the longest to get out.” Which is funny because one would assume SJ would place the order once they have received your order. Either way, I have no reason to not go with SJ.